Author Topic: PeterT – an end and a beginning  (Read 236 times)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
PeterT – an end and a beginning
« on: May 31, 2019, 08:42:06 PM »
I don't know whether anyone's still checking the forum – probably not after all this time.
However, if you do happen by in early June 2019, you might be interested in the inaugural lecture that PeterT is giving on 25 June – 'If school is the problem, what is the solution?'
You can sign up here to attend either via livestream or face to face from 6-7pm that evening
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/if-school-is-the-problem-what-is-the-solution-registration-53533313582
Although inaugural lectures are usually given when someone becomes a professor at a university, Peter's been a professor for several years, and he's using his inaugural as an opportunity to say goodbye to The Open University before moving on.

Abstract
Drawing on his research Peter will explore the implications of how people learn for how we teach, how our changing world necessitates changes to the curriculum, barriers to educational change and potential ways forward.
The lecture will be followed by a panel discussion about visions for schooling and how to achieve them.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: PeterT – an end and a beginning
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 03:02:53 PM »
Needless to say I will be drawing on the Schome Park Programme ...

Offline Baso Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Desfrites
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 04:37:14 PM »
Will definitely try to drop in :)
!!Baso!!

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 07:03:37 AM »
Hi Baso. Thrilled that you are going to drop in on my inaugural.  8)
What are you up to these days?

PeterT

Offline Baso Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Desfrites
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 08:31:20 AM »
Currently writing up my PhD Thesis in Helsinki (Aalto University) on Quantum Thermodynamics with Superconducting Circuits - which is a fancy way of saying using ultra low temperatures to study the interface between everyday notions of heat with what happens in a quantum system.

....and still messing about role playing/building in second life when given the chance.
!!Baso!!

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:35:05 AM »
Not going to pretend that I understood what you are doing - my son is also doing a PhD (in Belfast) but I don't understand much of what he does either (much too much emphasis on statistics for my liking!).

I haven't really engaged with Second Life since the Schome Park Programme ended - those were the days! I am however starting to revive the Schome Initiative as I think it still has something to offer in terms of how we sort out our dire schooling systems.

Will be interested to hear your views about my inaugural - I tried it out on my kids (the PhD student and a primary school teacher) - usually my harshest critics but they seemed pleasantly approving of my message.  8)

PeterT

Offline Baso Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Desfrites
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 06:04:36 AM »
Hi,

I managed to livestream the talk (unfortunately, getting there from Helsinki was a touch challenging, especially when I have to give a talk the following day ;))

I've got to say, it was quite a nice, amusing talk about a subject almost everybody claims to be an expert in, but few are actually willing to innovate or question. (It's the best education system in the world, of course!)  - I think you quite nicely pointed out the holes and inefficiencies in a system that's designed by academics for producing academics, rather than for effectively bringing children into society.

I particularly liked the panel discussion, it was a good mix of people. Although now I'm questioning my preferences for typically working in the dark :P

!!Baso!!

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 08:08:27 AM »
Glad you were able to view it, Baso, and good luck with the PhD. Let us know when you finish, and we can celebrate virtually.

If anyone else sees this thread too late to have a chance of seeing the live event, you can watch the recording here
http://www.open.ac.uk/research/events/if-school-problem-what-solution
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 10:26:27 AM »
Thanks for making time for my lecture and the panel Baso. Stephen Heppell's work on learning environments and what to eat before exams is really interesting - and it's surprising that more schools haven't engaged with it. If you are interested in that stuff check out http://heppell.net/

PeterT