Author Topic: World Water Day  (Read 6514 times)

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
World Water Day
« on: March 06, 2010, 01:07:47 PM »
Quote from: World Water Day
World Water Day, 22 March 2010, is a crucial moment in the fight against the global sanitation and water crisis that’s killing 4000 children every single day.

Just one month later, politicians from across the globe will gather in Washington DC. to discuss what they need to do to fulfil some of the most basic rights of the world’s citizens – access to a safe toilet and clean water.

They must act, and so must we.

The World’s Longest Toilet Queue is a mass mobilisation event and Guinness World Record attempt bringing together thousands of campaigners from across the world to demand real change at the meeting.

We need your action too!

Join in on World Water Day by organising or joining a Queue of people to demand action from the world’s governments! You’ll find everything you need to get involved – ideas, resources and advice – in this site. So go ahead and make a stand for sanitation and water!

Help to form the World’s Longest Toilet Queue and stand in solidarity with 2.5 billion people who are still waiting for their right to a safe toilet, and standing up for 4,000 children who die every day as a result.

Joining in is easy– just organise a group of people to queue up together for a toilet for at least ten minutes from 20 – 22 March 2010. The toilet can be real, fake, or even someone dressed up as one.

Make your Queue attention-grabbing, media-friendly, fun and politically meaningful. Get ideas on this website, in the toolkit and in the blog. You’ll also need to stick to a few important rules to be counted as part of the Guinness World Record attempt.

First steps in getting your Queue going is to register it here, then think where it could take place, who you’ll involve and how you might like to publicise it – although you only need 25 people to join in with the record.

When deciding about making your Queue politically meaningful, think about how you can involve politicians, or get people to take a political action like signing a petition or making a pledge.

The World’s Longest Toilet Queue is organised by three global networks, End Water Poverty, the Freshwater Action Network and the Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council.

Unsure whether we can qualify for the world record, as I think it would be a struggle getting 25 people, but I have emailed the organisers to see if a 'virtual queue' is something that they think would be a good idea and something they could use to promote the event as it is "attention grabbing".

Your thoughts?

Kit.
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
Re: World Water Day
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 03:26:39 PM »
We could organize it on the teen grid, I'm sure organisations that own land would want to be affiliated with this cause.
Personally I'm a bit unsure, on one hand these are real people that are dying due to unsanitary conditions. On the other, there are probably more "important" problems in the world, by which I mean things that more people are dying from. Either way I'd say that helping people and saving lives is never a bad thing, especially when you consider how much money we waste on ourselves when we could be helping others. I also wanted to give a bit of my opinion on population increase, but it's a shady topic and I don't want to derail this thread.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 03:43:40 PM »
there are probably more "important" problems in the world, by which I mean things that more people are dying from.

NEW YORK (October 14, 2009) — Despite the existence of inexpensive and efficient means of treatment, diarrhea kills more children than AIDS, malaria and measles combined, according to a report issued today by UNICEF and the World Health Organization (WHO).

The report, titled "Diarrhea: Why Children Are Still Dying and What Can Be Done," includes information on the causes of diarrhea, data on access to means of prevention and treatment, and a seven-point plan to reduce diarrhea deaths.

"In the developing world, 24,000 children under the age of five die every day from preventable causes like diarrhea contracted from unclean water," said Caryl M. Stern, President and CEO, the U.S. Fund for UNICEF.
http://www.unicefusa.org/news/releases/unicef-and-who-launch-report.html
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 03:47:36 PM »
We could organize it on the teen grid, I'm sure organisations that own land would want to be affiliated with this cause.

Would it be easy to allow our avatars onto the teen grid?

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:22:02 PM »
there are probably more "important" problems in the world, by which I mean things that more people are dying from.

NEW YORK (October 14, 2009) — Despite the existence of inexpensive and efficient means of treatment, diarrhea kills more children than AIDS, malaria and measles combined, according to a report issued today by UNICEF and the World Health Organization (WHO).

The report, titled "Diarrhea: Why Children Are Still Dying and What Can Be Done," includes information on the causes of diarrhea, data on access to means of prevention and treatment, and a seven-point plan to reduce diarrhea deaths.

"In the developing world, 24,000 children under the age of five die every day from preventable causes like diarrhea contracted from unclean water," said Caryl M. Stern, President and CEO, the U.S. Fund for UNICEF.
http://www.unicefusa.org/news/releases/unicef-and-who-launch-report.html
Oh wow.

Would it be easy to allow our avatars onto the teen grid?
Yeah I think baso knows how but I've forgotten. You can just create a TG avatar anyway.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »
Your Schome avatars aren't supposed to be able to access the rest of the Teen Grid. I remember two avatars did get through to the Teen Grid (was it Animus and JP - can't remember now) - but we did complain about that to Linden Lab and I trust they sorted out the bug that made it possible.

Probably easier to make Teen Grid accounts.

Or - we could do something more complicated, and have us queuing against a background, and then get Kali and Vibia to set up the same background on the Main Grid, and queue against it, so we could give the effect of one cross-world Schome toilet queue.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:54:40 PM »
Your Schome avatars aren't supposed to be able to access the rest of the Teen Grid. I remember two avatars did get through to the Teen Grid (was it Animus and JP - can't remember now)

Hmm...I seem to remember Topper being stranded in a German speaking world?

Or - we could do something more complicated, and have us queuing against a background, and then get Kali and Vibia to set up the same background on the Main Grid, and queue against it, so we could give the effect of one cross-world Schome toilet queue.
Could be interesting, I did email the organisers seeing if they would be interested in us doing a virtual queue, waiting for a reply. I think making new TG accounts would be easier, although we would need a place to do it wouldn't we? Or get in contact with LL and see if they want to make something big out of it? :P

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 08:48:44 PM »
Me and Baso got stranded on a German Educational sim i think, then my SL viewer crashed... So it was Baso left on hos own as I couldn't get back in it was something about telehubs though as we had both teleported when it happed and a Linden arrived soon after Peter complained to put in telehub thingys...

Topper

Offline Baso Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Desfrites
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »
Good times.....good times.
!!Baso!!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
Have had a reply..

Quote from: author"Serena O'Sullivan
That's great - and very inventive thinking.

Would really love it if you could action this, and although we won't be able to count it towards the official record attempt, we will heavily promote it in our press releases and online platforms with your help. The action would certainly count for the campaign outcomes and we will incorporate the event in the examples of activism that we take to the UN for the High-Level Meeting in April.

As someone who hasn't used Second Life before, how would it work? How would you sign fellow avatars up and promote it? Happy to help any way I can.

Thanks again - look forward to this one!

Serena

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
This looks very positive.

How would you publicise it on the Teen Grid? It would be good to get lots of people involved.

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 07:58:14 PM »
Kit, why not use twitter? I don't think I have many followers who are active on teen grid, but we can all re-tweet and possibly the word may spread and reach others who may be able to help / join in? Yankee SParker is pretty active on twitter and he may have contacts who can help.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 09:51:10 PM »
As I have only used the TG once (and that was unitentional) I don't think I am the best person to spread the word over there..I will explore twitter further and keep posting updates on there.

As we will be unable to do it for the record attempt, we can do it whenever in the next 3 weeks I believe. I think it would be nice to invite Serena or some of the other Toilet Queue team into SL (they may need time to learn the ropes) so that they can see it first hand. Also, some filming would be nice.

Does anyone know if there are any education related areas on the TG, or anyone with contacts high enough at LL who could find out if they too can promote it? I know it is probably a long shot but worth a go.

Can't think of anything else right now, but will post or tweet further info I receive.

Kit.

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »
We may need to have a word with Katharine Berry.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »
This Ning group has links to other educational projects on the Teen Grid
http://rezedhub.ning.com/