Author Topic: General talk about the course  (Read 8810 times)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
General talk about the course
« on: October 23, 2008, 10:17:15 AM »
I started this topic so that folk had somewhere to make generic comment or ask 'non-specific' questions about the course ...  :)

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: General talk about the course
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 05:54:27 PM »
How do you want to do for WT-2 Audit, putting something up on free online surveys and someone can send them info back although that may be a bit of a tall order... Or a PP that asks questions that tell them if there right or wrong and then work out from there what they might want to go over, or am i massively wide of the mark??

Topper

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
How do you want to do for WT-2 Audit, putting something up on free online surveys and someone can send them info back although that may be a bit of a tall order... Or a PP that asks questions that tell them if there right or wrong and then work out from there what they might want to go over, or am i massively wide of the mark??

Topper
To be honest in the short term I was thinking of just having a word document that they could download - with a table in it which identified various technologies (eg forum, blog, wiki, video sharing site (eg YouTube), restricted virtual world (eg World of Warcraft), Open virtual world (eg Second Life virtual world) and asked them to select their level of expertise with each one (thought the categories would be:
* Never heard of it
* Know what it is (but haven't used it)
* Have looked at it (eg exploratory use)
* Have used it as a consumer (eg reading but not posting/editing)
* Have used it as a producer (eg reading and posting/editing)
* Have used it as a moderator/administrator (eg managing other people's use of it)
* Have supported other people in using it
* Have integrated it into my teaching

There would be blank rows so folk could add other Web 2.0 technologies which we hadn't listed.

Folk would then be guided to focus in the 'Developing your own use' section on those applications which they had least personal expertise with (starting with ones nearer the top of the form - so order on form is important with the most common/important ones at the top).

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 01:21:41 PM »

Topper
To be honest in the short term I was thinking of just having a word document that they could download - with a table in it which identified various technologies (eg forum, blog, wiki, video sharing site (eg YouTube), restricted virtual world (eg World of Warcraft), Open virtual world (eg Second Life virtual world) and asked them to select their level of expertise with each one (thought the categories would be:
* Never heard of it
* Have used it as a moderator/administrator (eg managing other people's use of it)

There would be blank rows so folk could add other Web 2.0 technologies which we hadn't listed.

Folk would then be guided to focus in the 'Developing your own use' section on those applications which they had least personal expertise with (starting with ones nearer the top of the form - so order on form is important with the most common/important ones at the top).

Shall I do one of them now??

Topper
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:05:43 PM by Topper Schomer »

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
I've been thinking that we need to add a variety of other important Web 2.0 apps - but I haven''t thought exactly how to classify them.

There are the consumer sites such as Amazon, which are full of reviews and which you can customise and tailor to your own needs.

There are the Web 2.0 radio stations like Last.fm.

There are the open content applications that are developed by anyone who has the time, skills and inclination.

There is Google, which is increasingly putting together a Web 2.0 environment.

There are feed applications such as NetVibes.

There are the commercial sites that are customisable by different users.

There are online noticeboards such as the OU's Intranet.

There's Google Earth, which is now full of landmarks and photos contributed by users.

There's the OU's OpenLearn site, where you can create and upload your own content.

Then there's FlashMeeting, where the tool remains the same, but the content changes
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 05:06:39 PM »

Topper
* Never heard of it

Shall I do one of them now??

Toppep
I was hoping you would say that ...  8)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 06:34:27 PM »
Oh, and social bookmarking sites such as Delicious

Presentation sharing sites such as Slideshare

Commerce sites such as ebay...
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »
I wrote the following as part of the "How to create your course blog"

Throughout the L2NS course you are expected to reflect on your experiences of studying it - and a blog seems like an appropriate tool given our focus on Web 2.0 technologies. There are several free sites that allow you to create your own blog. These include:

*Blogger
*Windows Live Spaces
*MySpace
*Wordpress
*Blog.co.uk

Alternatively, it is possible to create a wiki blog, aka a bliki. Our description of the difference between Blogs and Blikis goes as follows:

*Blogs are written by one main person (no one else can edit that person's entries), but other folk can add comments
always in chronological order (you cannot choose the structure)
*Blikis are written by as many people as want to contribute (anyone who is logged in can edit anyone else's entries)
not necessarily in chronological order (though, of course, this is what really makes them into blikis - if they weren't in chronological order they'd be wikis)
(This definition is ours for this site; of course there are many examples of collaboratively written blogs elsewhere.)

To create a bliki on the Schome Wiki, you can use you userpage. You will already have been allocated this if you are a registered member of the schome forum.

#Log into the wiki using your forum username and password.
#Look to the top right hand side of the screen, you will notice it has a link that's your username. For example, if Joe Blogs (no pun intended) signed into the wiki, he would notice a link titled "Joe Blogs."
#Clicking this link will take you to your userpage, titled User:<Namehere>
#Most pages when first used have a default template on them, welcoming users to the site and explaining how to use their page. However if you're a relatively new user this might not be on the page, so follow the instructions below.
#Click edit at the top of your user page
##If the template is on your page, you will notice text in the edit box saying <nowiki>{{Template:New userpage}}</nowiki>. Remove this text.
#You are now free to add whatever you want on your userpage. If you want to use your userpage for somthing else, eg an about me page, then you can create a new page for your bliki by typing in the search bar "User:<insertusername>/Bliki", and clickin "Create this page".

Obviously the *s are bullet points and the #s are numbered lists :)
-Mars

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »
Mars i put a link to a bliki setup page that already existed  8)

Topper

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 07:28:09 PM »
Aargh right :P
-Mars

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 09:00:22 AM »
Nice work! Really please you are engaging with it.

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »
Peter, where do you want me to send the aduit form did it last night for you...

Topper

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 01:23:05 PM »
Peter, where do you want me to send the aduit form did it last night for you...

Topper
How big is the file?
If small enough to be an attachment then put as an attachment in here or PM me ...

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »
The Audit form...

Topper

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 06:00:19 AM »
The Audit form...

Topper

I've uploaded it to http://kn.open.ac.uk/public/document.cfm?docid=11817
There is currently a problem with it - but expecting that to be resolved later today.