Author Topic: Schomebase Teleport request  (Read 5926 times)

Offline Kickaha Wolfenhaut

• View Profile
    • Open University Study Journal
Schomebase Teleport request
« on: July 20, 2008, 03:36:42 PM »
I believe the current setup of the teleport hub on Schomebase is rather heavy-handed.

I, together with several other residents, experience daily frustration at being unable to teleport onto the Schomebase island to chosen locations. Several times a day I find myself at the teleport hub grinding my teeth as I find my bearings and fly off in search of my desired destination. I understand the thinking behind the present setup, but think that it might be better to simply publicise and link to the SLURL of the nOUbie Centre while leaving residents free to arrive elsewhere if they wish.

As I am averse to controlling visitors to my own regions, I'm not too familiar with the teleport hub management options; if a welcome point is felt to be essential, is there a way to make arriving at the hub an option for the visitor? If not, a workaround is to create a very small parcel, give it a meaningful name, then include only that point in the SL search. Visitors arriving via the search window would find themselves at the welcome point, while those with a preference could teleport to the location of their choosing.

As the Events Calendar (http://www.schome.ac.uk/wiki/Schomebase_Events) fills, the ability to teleport direct will be helpful to more and more people. There is also the technical point that having one or two or perhaps a hundred people per day arriving at Point A and having to make their way to Point B is causing unnecessary lag, however slight.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Schomebase Teleport request
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 03:50:22 PM »
Happy to experiment with alternative approaches that make life easier ... I'm going in now to fiddle with the estate controls - as folk who know about my technical prowess will confirm this is a dangerous thing - who knows what may happen ... (but if you don't try ...)

PeterT   ;)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 03:55:25 PM »
Hmm - it was already set so that anyone could teleport to anywhere - though a telehub was also set up. I have turned off the telehub - let me know if that improves things.

PeterT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »
Thanks for the lightning-fast reponse Peter!

I too found the teleport hub controls a little strange. Before starting this thread I tried experimenting and found that I could teleport anywhere in a region regardless of whether the "allow users to teleport anywhere" box was ticked. (The exact opposite of your experience - such is Second Life, lol) This was why I pleaded ignorance.

I will certainly report back here after my next Schome visit.

Thanks again

K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 09:02:42 PM »
I just tried TPing to a random point using the map, and it works fine. A great improvement, thanks!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 02:15:30 AM »
Hi Peter

Further to our recent e-mail exchange, I thought it might be worth clarifying that your previous approach is ideal, in my opinion. (ie: Have a "default" teleport hub rather than a "compulsory" one, so that those who specify a specific destination on Schomebase are accommodated while those who don't find themselves where admin feel is most helpful.)

At this week's nOUbie Centre meeting, the general feeling was that such a hub ought to be within or near the Centre itself, as that's where such things as the Buddy Board and maps etc are appearing. Is relocating the hub easy/acceptable for you?

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:29:30 AM »
I'll explore and see what I can do - must admit that I had been regretting getting rid of the default hub because that used to take folk in by the Schome Initiative information boards which meant that folk coming the SchomeBase started out in an area where they could find out more about schome if they wanted to - I think it was a mistake to change that. I think that if you have the hub set up then that may restrict other teleporting somewhat, but I'm not sure ... Off to explore ...

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 05:22:41 AM »
Hmm - have  been playing for last hour - nothing I do seems to change where you teleport to - though I have now created a teleport hub in the nOUbie centre (by the Schome noticeboards on the ground floor). Tell me if this has had any impact on where you can teleport to ...  ??? :-\

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 01:39:22 PM »
Hi there

There does seem to have been some impact over just the last day or so. The following message has just appeared on the OU forum:

I always have my 'home' set as my apartment, but for some reason SL won't let me now. When I click on landmark home it takes me to SchomeBase. When I check the properties of 'home' the coordinates are that of my apt, but it won't tp me there. Any ideas?

I have replied to it:

I can shed some light on this. Schomer Simpson announced at the last meeting that he would be changing the teleport settings for the island. The stated aim is NOT what you have described, so unless that aim has changed I think you're safe assuming this is a teething problem rather than a permanent arrangment.

I'm going to copy your query to the Schome forum, which can be found here: http://www.schome.ac.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2580.0

Does this information help with your experiments Peter?

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 08:22:13 AM »
I think what I need to do is change the settings for each of the plots on SchomeBase - will see if I can do that tonight (Monday 15th).

Any info about teleport behaviour is helpful - one of my suspicions is that there is a time delay between changing settings and the change actually taking effect which makes testing the impact of changes quite difficult. (Or it may be just be my total lack of technical competence and logic!  :P

Thanks - keep the info coming ...