The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
February 17, 2020, 11:58:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get a paper published?  (Read 2027 times)
Achilles Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:56:53 AM »

Just a random question that popped into my mind- How to you get an educational paper published and how easy is it to do?

Wasn't sure if there was a better board for this...

My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!
Rowan
SP core

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:29:57 PM »

Most publications are looking for new, interesting work but they all tend to have certain 'norms' - ways of doing things and sometimes these are fairly obvious and sometimes less so.  The best way is to identify somewhere that has articles at least slightly similar (in coverage, length and how academic the tone) to what you are thinking of writing.  It helps actually in doing the writing to have a specific publication in mind.   Are you thinking of something like the Times Educational Supplement, or what kind of publication?  Or maybe something published online?

If I can give any more advice, I will.

Rowan SParker
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 06:25:14 PM »

You might consider 'Vision' the Futurelab magazine.
http://www.futurelab.org.uk/resources/publications_reports_articles/vision_magazine

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:44:28 AM »

Or try something like Computer Education

There are also a range of professional journals targetted at specific audiences - so for example the Association for Science Education publishes a range of journals.

Professional journals tend to be easier to get published in than academic journals (the latter tend to be refereed which means that your article is sent to a couple of 'experts' who read it and decide whether it is good enough to go into the journal). The time for something to appear also varies considerably - it may take two years for a top referred journal but is normally much quicker for a professional journal.

There are subject associations for most secondary school subjects ...

Something like the Times Educational Supplement or the Education Guardian are also good places to start your publishing career - a good starting point is a letter to the editor (ideally with a hi res picture) - or you could try sending something in to the editor as an article (usually they rely on reporters who go out and generate stories rather than on unsolicited submissions I think).

You might also want to think about co-authoring - I certainly find it helps me (cos I feel bad if I let my co-author down so am better at sticking to deadlines - and it always helps to have someone to critique and enhance your writing as you are going along).

The other thing to think about - and this may be more difficult for pragmatic reasons - is that it is much easier to get a conference presentation accepted than a refereed journal article - and so most academics will start of doing some conference papers before they write journal articles. The difficulty with this is that you then have to go to the conference (pay the fee and travel etc) and give the paper.

I actually started my publishing career writing for a subject association magazine - called MUSE as I seem to recall - I wrote something about using Logo in my classroom ...

If you wanted to contribute a section to one of the reports that I am planning to do re Phases 2 and 3 (which will be similar in style to the Phase 1 report) then I'd be happy to talk with you about that - would be great to have student input into the writing up.

PeterT  8)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:46:29 AM by PeterT » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: