The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
December 03, 2020, 06:39:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 9911 times)
Mykro SParker
SP team

View Profile Email
« on: May 17, 2008, 10:58:06 AM »

Hello everyone
I have recently joined to see what all the fuss is about.  I have been on to second Life as a guest.  I got stuck under a table and couldn't get up again.  I haven't been on since.
I teach IT in Kentish middle school.  The school is closing and making way for an academy.  Part of the new vision for the academy is to trial something like Schome.  I have done some research into the concept and I am a bit of a fence sitter at the moment.  i believe that an important part of school life is intergration.  Is virtual intergration a useful tool to aide physical intergration later or will it become "another world"?
I am looking forward to the experience.
Mykro Sparker
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 11:52:35 AM »

Hi Mykro, welcome to Schome :)

I don't want to put you off the idea but in my opinion using a virtual environment like Schome in an academy is a bad idea, cos part of the third phase of this project was to trial getting schools involved and it did not work well as students were put off from being themselves by their piers (or however that word is spelt!) and the teacher - student relationship was still there for them. One group had been giving grades to their students for their 'work' in Schome Park which is not what it is here for. To sum up you really can't get 'not school and not home' when you are usnig it as part of a school
Decimus Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »

piers (or however that word is spelt!)
pier = the path thingies that stick out into the sea.
peer = what you're thinking of :P

Anyway, hello Mykro!
Miss. Vibia
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 01:15:47 PM »

Hello Mykro.

Welcome to Schome, I hope you enjoy your time and find it helpful.  :)

We could be heroes just for one day.
Rowan
SP core

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 01:41:03 PM »

Hello Myrko.  I think your idea is a very interesting one and personally I feel Animus is answering a different question from the one you are asking in a sense - I don't intend that unpleasantly, Animus of course.  I think Myrko's question is something like  - are there interesting possibilities for using Second Life in schools and I think there certainly could be.  There are dangers, it seems to me, if ICT in schools becomes ever more distant from the rich kinds of digital practices young people are active in during their leisure time.  It's not that I want to see schools as places where all kinds of video games and so forth are played - but certainly I want to see schools offer spaces and opportunities where young peoples' expertise can flourish in creative collaborations using new technologies.

Rowan SParker
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 01:44:13 PM »

Well yes, I wasn't answering that question..

And actually Mykro's question was "Is virtual intergration a useful tool to aide physical intergration later or will it become "another world"?"
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 06:27:21 AM »

Hi Mykro - and welcome. You are going to have to move fast cos Phase 3 of the Schome Park Programme comes to an end on 31st May (after which Schome Park will be inaccessible ... whilst we do some data analysis, reflection, and strategic planning about what we should do next to move the schome initiative forward.

In thinking about the question of integration of the sort of ethos/values that we try to engender within Schome Park with an academy - you might find it helpful to check out the page in the wiki on 'defining schome'. I suspect that Animus' position reflects the 'difficulty' of reconsiling differences between the underlying culture of schools and schome - but of course what the whole schome initiative is about is creating an education system based on the 'schome principles' so it is certainly worth exploring!  :)
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 12:05:11 PM »

On the focus section of your table, which sums up the attributes very well, I think success of the individual is also a key part of learning in Schome
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 05:10:18 AM »

On the focus section of your table, which sums up the attributes very well, I think success of the individual is also a key part of learning in Schome

I agree that success of the individual is a key part of learning in schome - and I would see it as being an essential element of the health of the community (a community which ignored individuals within it would not be very healthy IMHO). So the focus dimension is contrasting a clear and predominant focus on individuals against a focus that encompasses individuals as part of a community.

Does that make sense?
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 07:07:05 PM »

Yes, although I had to pause my loud music before i could try and work out what you were talking about!
Also love the phrase 'the Focus Dimension' sounds mystical and great. :P
johnsonabigail23

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 12:32:08 PM »

hello everyone.

Abigail Johnson here. I am a former English professor extending my expertise and knowledge about essay writing.

PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 09:51:10 AM »

hello everyone.

Abigail Johnson here. I am a former English professor extending my expertise and knowledge about essay writing.

Hi Abigail - welcome to the Schommunity. Thanks for telling us a bit about who you are.

PeterT
johnsonabigail23

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 05:33:58 AM »

Thanks.... I hope to know you all here...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: