Poll

Would you prefer the proposed gothic building to be built around religious or secular symbolism?

Religious symbolism
7 (29.2%)
Secular symbolism
17 (70.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: SpARTans' Events  (Read 53015 times)

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
Re: X-Wing Dealership
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 04:34:55 PM »
Our project will be a to sell X-Wings and make a lucrative amount of Linden Dollars. Our final product will be an X-wing dealership which we will put in the sky. We plan on selling different colored and textured X-wings at varying prices. There will be customized X-Wings for those who can afford it.

This will happen somewhere in the sky above Alpha. Jethro and I will be hosting this.

Its worth pointing out that staff are the only source of linden dollars- there is no real "money" to be made as no one has money (at least for buying things)

You would have to come up with a better criteria of sucess in your project- number of people wanting them? (demand), number of people who wear them regularly?
My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Noel's Team Events
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 09:17:01 PM »
and i'm no sure if this is the best or most PC thing to do best to get a good community thread on this one

At some point, you have to say to yourself: "Am I being oversensitive at the cost of my education?"  I'm not building this as an edifice to an religion; if I were, I, being Jewish, would probably build a synagogue.  The name is meant to be an ironic play on one's expectations about religion, and rather than have this be a place for services to take place on a regular basis I envision it as a place to hold meaningful discussions on religious philosophy.  Too, there's the architectural challenge of building it at all -- a cathedral is an incredibly artistic thing to build.

Now, I am of the personal belief that political correctness is a load of hooey.  If we can commit to basic respect, there's no need to tiptoe around people with different skin, heritage or culture than ourselves.  Doing it that way just avoids the issues that need to be addressed in the name of protectionism.  A medical analogy would be banning everyone from studying a virus instead of trying to find the cure.  Regardless, though, I believe that even without my view of PC in general, there is more than enough reason to green-light this project.

To put my veiws out in the open I am aginst all religius presence in SP for the simple reason as it highlights diffrences and can pit man v man as it has done in RL. Tacking a idea from Richard Dawkins no conflict has been completly clear of religion. I for one can't think of a war where religeon hasent been part of the reson or hasent clouded the judgements of the leader/s. I also piont you to the japanese garden, a popular meeting palce used for a lot of meetings and all our ethical disscusions. I myself think PC may be going to far but you must repect that a building that could be percived as religous could stop further funding in a worst case senario. I for one belive i am being 'oversensative at the cost of my education' I firmly belive that respect for anouthers culture and religous should be implimented at every level, i also belive that when living in a country you should make a effort to lern the main language, intergrate with the community etc to have a proper community were evryone is a part. I dont think that avoiding a religous preence is protectionism. we have people on here from lots of diffrent faith i would think and therefore if we have a religous building of sorts it brings forward and i ask you to consider holding such discusions in the japanese garden and whilst i agree that a cathredral would be a feat of arciteture to build i feel it is not the best thing to do.

Topper

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »
Now, I am of the personal belief that political correctness is a load of hooey.  If we can commit to basic respect, there's no need to tiptoe around people with different skin, heritage or culture than ourselves.
I agree completely. PC seems to be an excuse for people to call everyone else racist, etc. for no better reason than 'I want to' :P

To put my veiws out in the open I am aginst all religius presence in SP for the simple reason as it highlights diffrences and can pit man v man as it has done in RL.
It can do, but hopefully people would be sensible enough to not have such problems. Or so I hope...

Tacking a idea from Richard Dawkins no conflict has been completly clear of religion. I for one can't think of a war where religeon hasent been part of the reson or hasent clouded the judgements of the leader/s.
One thing I will point out: Yes, religion can be the reason for wars. But, at least some of the time, it's *actually* just a land-grab, using religion as an excuse rather than a reason...

I myself think PC may be going to far but you must repect that a building that could be percived as religous could stop further funding in a worst case senario.
In a worst-case scenario of having to get funding from people you probably wouldn't want funding off, that is :P

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 10:24:58 PM »
oh and to the arictecture side why not a mosque or gurdwara etc etc all incredable aricitecture

Topper

Offline Alice SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »
I made a very simple wiki page for these events. http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Noels_Team_Events
Didn't have much time, so I simply copied the information here to the page - apologies for any mistakes!!.
Please have a look and edit as you wish!  :)

Alice

Offline Tsuyoshikentsu Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 07:52:30 AM »
To put my veiws out in the open I am aginst all religius presence in SP for the simple reason as it highlights diffrences and can pit man v man as it has done in RL. Tacking a idea from Richard Dawkins no conflict has been completly clear of religion. I for one can't think of a war where religeon hasent been part of the reson or hasent clouded the judgements of the leader/s. I also piont you to the japanese garden, a popular meeting palce used for a lot of meetings and all our ethical disscusions. I myself think PC may be going to far but you must repect that a building that could be percived as religous could stop further funding in a worst case senario. I for one belive i am being 'oversensative at the cost of my education' I firmly belive that respect for anouthers culture and religous should be implimented at every level, i also belive that when living in a country you should make a effort to lern the main language, intergrate with the community etc to have a proper community were evryone is a part. I dont think that avoiding a religous preence is protectionism. we have people on here from lots of diffrent faith i would think and therefore if we have a religous building of sorts it brings forward and i ask you to consider holding such discusions in the japanese garden and whilst i agree that a cathredral would be a feat of arciteture to build i feel it is not the best thing to do.

First off, I'M JEWISH.  Pretty hardcore Jewish.  (People keep asking me if I'm orthodox.)  If this is really as much of an issue as you say, why am I not offended at myself?

Second off... yes.  It shows our differences.  I am of the firm belief that if we try to pretend we're all the same and suppress anything that tries to prove otherwise, we'll end up in Brave-New-World-Land.  Let's face it: a Muslim and I worship differently.  We can either not talk about it at all, or we can hold a respectful discourse and learn about each other.  (Or we could just fight, but I think everyone sees that as a non-option.)

And finally, please, PLEASE don't quote Richard Dawkins to me.  The man's an idiot.  (By the way: if you can find the religious motivation in the War of 1812 or the Warring States period of Japan, you're a better historian than I am.)

(PS: I chose a cathedral because I have a personal love of Gothic architecture.  Also, a mosque would be far harder for me to model.)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 08:14:25 AM »

Hi Tsuyoshikentsu,
Here's a picture of a site I've been visiting recently on the Main Grid of Second Life. It's based on the Mezquita - an ancient building in Cordoba, Spain. The real building was once the largest mosque in the world but - when Cordoba was taken over by the Christians - it was converted into a cathedral. However, the Second Life version is a mosque, complete with prayer mats and occasional services.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Gaea Sparker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 03:22:35 PM »
everyone sounds busy!  Very exciting, and such a broad range of stuff... i love the idea of a concert.........

I have some $L if people need any for uploading music/textures for their projects just PM me - or I could transfer directly to Noel- which may be easier, then she can distribute amongst you....

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 03:44:46 PM »
If this is really as much of an issue as you say, why am I not offended at myself?
Because it isn't, methinks :P

Let's face it: a Muslim and I worship differently.  We can either not talk about it at all, or we can hold a respectful discourse and learn about each other.  (Or we could just fight, but I think everyone sees that as a non-option.)
I agree. The second option would be the best, by far.

And finally, please, PLEASE don't quote Richard Dawkins to me.  The man's an idiot.
:P
I haven't actually read anything of his, but I've been told of that sort of thing :P

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 05:55:36 PM »
And finally, please, PLEASE don't quote Richard Dawkins to me. The man's an idiot. 
That he may be, but in my opinion he also talks a lot of sense but presents it in the wrong way. Whilst i agree fervently that religion should be discussed and that violence is the wrong way to go about it (and share your liking for Gothic architecture (York minsters a beautiful building if you've seen it)). This may be a cultural misunderstanding in what you mean by a cathedral but to me it means (and i quote from dictionary.com) "a principal church of a diocese, containing the bishop's throne" a clearly religious building used for religious practises. I also personally think that the japanese garden is as good as anywhere to talk about such matters.

I will be the first to admit i will have no sway on this and with new planning regulations i can't stop you in any way shape or form with in the AUP unless you decide to stop. I also think such faith sessions are a really good idea its only the building i am unsure of (or against depending which way you look at it :)). I however am firmly against a religious building in SP.

Topper

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
I've kept out of this so far, but...

I agree with Topper on the no religious buildings side of things. I don't think it's quite suitable...  :-[
-Mars

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 06:07:52 PM »
Agree with the whole non religious builds etc, but the reason I posted this was, Topper posted something without a spelling error  :o  (I hope you dont take offence Topper :P)
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 06:43:16 PM »
Agree with the whole non religious builds etc, but the reason I posted this was, Topper posted something without a spelling error  :o  (I hope you dont take offence Topper :P)

yay for firefox

Topper

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »
I think we can do very well in building nice gothic architecture without putting a cross on top of it, and hence we can build something which a random passerby might associate with a cathedral without it being religious. Personally, being a hideously biased atheist, I want religion to have as small a presence as possible in schome, although if someone wishes to worship a deity, that is their choice and their's alone. If you want to call the building a cathedral, and if someone wants to pray, meditate, do puja, obeisance, or anything else in it, fair enough, but please, can we avoid making it specifically religious.

As regards Dawkins, he quite clearly isn't an idiot, in the same way that James Watson isn't an idiot (look here for clarification). He has after all been among the pioneers of evolutionary biology. This is not to say that he cannot make idiotic statements, or that he is impartial, and his words as regards religion should certainly not stand as objective truth, but likewise, they are not objectively rubbish-nothing is as definite as that.
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline Alice SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 07:12:16 PM »
And finally, please, PLEASE don't quote Richard Dawkins to me. The man's an idiot. 
(and share your liking for Gothic architecture (York minsters a beautiful building if you've seen it)).

Oh, yes, I've seen it and loved it!! It is absolutely gorgeous.. (nothing to do with my beliefs)

I think the building itself represents a lot about the religion and the worldview.. So, it may prove to be good to discuss the relation between the architecture and the beliefs it signifies.. as Explo just said - it doesn't have to be a place to practice religion..

And may I ask some more elaboration on why there are objections to having the buildings that could sparkle discussion when it is all agreed that discussing and sharing different beliefs is good?

Alice

PS. A solution? - can't we have the building temporary and remove after it fulfills its role?