Poll

Would you prefer the proposed gothic building to be built around religious or secular symbolism?

Religious symbolism
7 (29.2%)
Secular symbolism
17 (70.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: SpARTans' Events  (Read 53017 times)

Offline Noel SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
SpARTans' Events
« on: April 09, 2008, 06:14:47 PM »
Greetings to all.

I will be posting events for various members of our team.  They would post themselves, but we are a bit short of time and attendance is not always steady.

Being newbies, I hope I am doing the right thing.  Please let me know if I need revisions.

We would love to have anyone participate in planning the events as well as attending, so feel free to join any group.

Noel
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 06:56:43 AM by PeterT »

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
Re: Noel's Team Events
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:21:23 PM »
These look great, Noel!  :) I am often at work at 4:15 (BST), but not always, so will try to make it whenever I can! I am particularly looking forward to hearing the Schome Philharmonic Society.

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:28:28 PM »
These seem very intriguing. 4.15 is a great time for me! Perfect, although I can't do the wednesday ones, but the friday ones are a possibly.
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:37:29 PM »
what instoments are in the socitys recital, I assume chamber instruments. If you want a cornet part just send a copy of the manscipt in bflat to my .spii.co.uk email acount

Topper

Offline Alice SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 09:22:25 AM »
Great initiative, Noel!! Lovely ideas  :)

Is it possible for you/your team to add more information on the wiki about the events? More info could attract more people?

Alice

PS. There is information on the main page on how to edit the wiki, if your team doesn't feel very confident..

Offline Athena Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
Schome Philharmonic Society Concert Summary
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 03:49:55 PM »
For our event, we, the Schome Philharmonic Society and Associates, will give an outdoor concert on one of Schome Park’s grassy knolls.
   Though we have not yet decided on the full complement of our musical program selections, we currently expect it to cover a wide array of repertoire for violin and double bass, spanning from the late 1500s with Jacques Arcadelt to the early 1900s with Reinhold Gliere.  Of course, for whichever pieces we ultimately choose to perform, we will include spoken program notes discussing the history of each as we go along (in the hopes of maybe sparking the Schommunity’s interest in an actual music history class in Schome’s future someday).
   As far as our actual performance space goes, we have already built an outdoor stage/acoustical shell, much like those at music festivals in the United States and Europe (Tanglewood, Aspen, Sarasota, Prague, Valtice, Prachatice, etc.), though we will eventually add a functional burgundy curtain for dramatic license, since we don’t need to worry about weathering in second life.  Of course, we also plan to provide seating, either rugs as a nod to Pierre Boulez’s “rug concerts” with the 1950s New York Philharmonic, or chairs for simple convenience, to make the event as organized and as efficient as possible.
   On the day of the performance, our procedure will be the following:
1.  We will call the audience to their seats with intermission bells (prerecorded, like our music)
2.  Then, once our friends are seated, we will make opening statements as an introduction
3.  After that, we will give a few informative comments about the first piece
4.  Then, for the actual playing part, we will use our second life instruments to “play” our prerecorded first piece
5.  Finally, we will repeat steps 3 and 4 for the duration of the performance, until we have finished the program
6.  We can then hold a short reception following the concert, allowing for questions and answers from those who might be interested

Offline johnny Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 04:14:32 PM »
my rough draft:

An event/tournament of a sort of LaserTag. There are two teams, everybody on either team has a popgun, one team has red balls shooting out of the popgun, the other team blue balls. Each round lasts three minutes, and there are three rounds. The team with the least collective balls, wins. The tournament will be held in Schome Park Beta, to allow for enough room for any amount of players, and a closed arena.

Offline Tsuyoshikentsu Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 04:15:54 PM »
Oi.  I'm the angel with the black wings and the gun, if you've seen me.

My building project idea is the Moishe Z. Liebowitz Memorial Cathedral.  Due to my lack of time in the next two months, mostly because of AP testing and my large role in Ghetto, I’ve decided on a “rolling building plan.”  I intend to finish the basic structure of a simple cathedral rather quickly, with very basic textures and no furniture.  From there I will add furniture, improve textures, add building detail in more visible areas like the exterior front, and then in less visible areas such as interior corners.

With the exception of the main cathedral, none of these projects will have an exact target date; they’ll be implemented in rolling releases leading up to May 26th, the opening day.  Optimally the opening day would culminate with a universal service of some kind – all religions welcome, that sort of thing – but I realize that there may be problems with this on both ends of the puddle, so I’m open to something as little as just having people look around.

Here are the four things I need most right now.  First, if anyone has links to actual cathedral blueprints I could look at for reference, that would be great.  Second, I would love recommendations for textures to use, especially for the windows.  Third, ideas for a location are much appreciated.  Finally, I want to ear everyone's thoughts on the service suggested.  I'd prefer to have it be unaffiliated with any religion, sort of like a Unitarian thing, but it may not be possible anyway.  Thoughts?

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 04:18:20 PM »
my rough draft:

An event/tournament of a sort of LaserTag. There are two teams, everybody on either team has a popgun, one team has red balls shooting out of the popgun, the other team blue balls. Each round lasts three minutes, and there are three rounds. The team with the least collective balls, wins. The tournament will be held in Schome Park Beta, to allow for enough room for any amount of players, and a closed arena.

ahh that would take a heck of a lot of scripting you would have a few problems htis has been tryed a few times before.

r
Oi.  I'm the angel with the black wings and the gun, if you've seen me.

My building project idea is the Moishe Z. Liebowitz Memorial Cathedral.  Due to my lack of time in the next two months, mostly because of AP testing and my large role in Ghetto, I’ve decided on a “rolling building plan.”  I intend to finish the basic structure of a simple cathedral rather quickly, with very basic textures and no furniture.  From there I will add furniture, improve textures, add building detail in more visible areas like the exterior front, and then in less visible areas such as interior corners.

With the exception of the main cathedral, none of these projects will have an exact target date; they’ll be implemented in rolling releases leading up to May 26th, the opening day.  Optimally the opening day would culminate with a universal service of some kind – all religions welcome, that sort of thing – but I realize that there may be problems with this on both ends of the puddle, so I’m open to something as little as just having people look around.

Here are the four things I need most right now.  First, if anyone has links to actual cathedral blueprints I could look at for reference, that would be great.  Second, I would love recommendations for textures to use, especially for the windows.  Third, ideas for a location are much appreciated.  Finally, I want to ear everyone's thoughts on the service suggested.  I'd prefer to have it be unaffiliated with any religion, sort of like a Unitarian thing, but it may not be possible anyway.  Thoughts?

that would take a long time etc and i'm no sure if this is the best or most PC thing to do best to get a good community thread on this one

Topper

Offline AeroDragonX Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
X-Wing Dealership
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 04:19:16 PM »
Our project will be a to sell X-Wings and make a lucrative amount of Linden Dollars. Our final product will be an X-wing dealership which we will put in the sky. We plan on selling different colored and textured X-wings at varying prices. There will be customized X-Wings for those who can afford it.

This will happen somewhere in the sky above Alpha. Jethro and I will be hosting this.

Offline Athena Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
Re: Laser Tag Project
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 04:20:47 PM »
Here's our (Athena's and Estella's) evaluation for Johnny's laser tag project:

strengths: it sounds like a TON of fun! It doesn't sound like many people are choosing competitive sports as projects, so we can't wait!

weaknesses: how do you calculate the scores?  Do the balls just fall to the ground?  How will you know whether or not you've hit your target?

suggestions: maybe give us a little bit more detail about how the game works, and how you plan to run the event.  Other than that, awesome idea!

Offline johnny Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
Re: Schome Philharmonic Society Concert Summary
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 04:23:48 PM »
For our event, we, the Schome Philharmonic Society and Associates, will give an outdoor concert on one of Schome Park’s grassy knolls.
   Though we have not yet decided on the full complement of our musical program selections, we currently expect it to cover a wide array of repertoire for violin and double bass, spanning from the late 1500s with Jacques Arcadelt to the early 1900s with Reinhold Gliere.  Of course, for whichever pieces we ultimately choose to perform, we will include spoken program notes discussing the history of each as we go along (in the hopes of maybe sparking the Schommunity’s interest in an actual music history class in Schome’s future someday).
   As far as our actual performance space goes, we have already built an outdoor stage/acoustical shell, much like those at music festivals in the United States and Europe (Tanglewood, Aspen, Sarasota, Prague, Valtice, Prachatice, etc.), though we will eventually add a functional burgundy curtain for dramatic license, since we don’t need to worry about weathering in second life.  Of course, we also plan to provide seating, either rugs as a nod to Pierre Boulez’s “rug concerts” with the 1950s New York Philharmonic, or chairs for simple convenience, to make the event as organized and as efficient as possible.
   On the day of the performance, our procedure will be the following:
1.  We will call the audience to their seats with intermission bells (prerecorded, like our music)
2.  Then, once our friends are seated, we will make opening statements as an introduction
3.  After that, we will give a few informative comments about the first piece
4.  Then, for the actual playing part, we will use our second life instruments to “play” our prerecorded first piece
5.  Finally, we will repeat steps 3 and 4 for the duration of the performance, until we have finished the program
6.  We can then hold a short reception following the concert, allowing for questions and answers from those who might be interested

very good idea, do you know how many pieces you will be 'playing'? i think your strengths are having a very good, solid idea of what you will be doing, and already having everything ready. i think your weaknesses (and im not sure) might be knowing how to upload the sound. for regular sound you would need linden dollars wouldn't you? and if you play it through your microphone it might no be as good, and the computers in the classroom might react poorly because were all grouped together. I have no suggestions for you, it seems like its going perfectly well =)

Offline AeroDragonX Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
Re: Schome Philharmonic Society Concert Summary
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 04:26:26 PM »
This is an evalutation of Athena's Philharmonic concert.

strengths: It sounds very original, considering that schome doesn't have many music events. You have planned this very well.

weaknesses: How are you going to make the instruments move to your music, in sync? It seems rather difficult to script...

suggestions: Perhaps you could hand out notecards with information about the songs you are going to play - otherwise, it sounds great!

Offline Tsuyoshikentsu Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 04:27:29 PM »
that would take a long time etc

TRUST me, I know.  That's why I have the rolling release thing, and have picked the latest available target date. ;)

and i'm no sure if this is the best or most PC thing to do best to get a good community thread on this one

At some point, you have to say to yourself: "Am I being oversensitive at the cost of my education?"  I'm not building this as an edifice to an religion; if I were, I, being Jewish, would probably build a synagogue.  The name is meant to be an ironic play on one's expectations about religion, and rather than have this be a place for services to take place on a regular basis I envision it as a place to hold meaningful discussions on religious philosophy.  Too, there's the architectural challenge of building it at all -- a cathedral is an incredibly artistic thing to build.

Now, I am of the personal belief that political correctness is a load of hooey.  If we can commit to basic respect, there's no need to tiptoe around people with different skin, heritage or culture than ourselves.  Doing it that way just avoids the issues that need to be addressed in the name of protectionism.  A medical analogy would be banning everyone from studying a virus instead of trying to find the cure.  Regardless, though, I believe that even without my view of PC in general, there is more than enouh reason to green-light this project.

Offline Ophelia Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 04:28:19 PM »
Ophelia and Thespian are hosting an event!! lol
Thespian and I want to create a ‘no-charge’ lemonade stand on the beach by the Hawaiian Shirt.  This free lemonade will come in several assortments of color and flavor.   On the opening day we will also host a picnic supplying checkered blankets for all.  Music of all genres will by playing throughout the event.  The event will be held on April 28, 2008 at 10:30am Pacific Daylight Time.  All are welcome to attend.