Author Topic: Shifting responsibilities  (Read 6447 times)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
Shifting responsibilities
« on: April 01, 2008, 08:40:10 AM »
It's the first of April and my Schome contract has changed to reflect the fact that I've got to hand my PhD thesis in in six months so I need to focus a bit more.

From today, Alice is taking over my roles in the forum and the wiki. I'm going to work with Tara and Euphloozie on fundraising and writing grant applications.

So I'll be around the forum and the wiki a lot less. The good news is that I have (at long last) set up a wireless system at home, got my laptop onto the Internet, and should therefore be in world more often.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Kathy Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: Shifting responsibilities
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 10:24:14 AM »
As a note, it's probably not a good idea to begin serious announcements by emphasising that it's the first of April.
Meep.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 02:12:18 PM »
As a note, it's probably not a good idea to begin serious announcements by emphasising that it's the first of April.

lol

Offline Alice SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 04:12:37 PM »
It'll be very challenging trying to cover your forum/wiki involvement, Fox! You've been doing such a great job!!
I'll try my best - though, I know it can never be comparable to what you've been doing.  :-\
So, any support from the community will always be very welcome  :)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:43:41 PM »

Yes, I did think of saying 'This is not an April Fool' - but then I thought that, if it were an April Fool, it would be an extraordinarily boring one  :P
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 02:22:33 PM »
I remember colin pillinger saying that he maneged to write his thisis in 5 1/2 weeks. That seems sort of super human....

Topper

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 03:01:59 PM »
PeterT has a similar story - though I think it took him twice as long.

I've forgotten how many years he spent reading and researching before he started the writing up, though  ;)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 06:14:08 PM »

I've forgotten how many years he spent reading and researching before he started the writing up, though  ;)
12 years from start to finish.
6 weeks actually writing the thing at the end - call it desperation by that stage!  :-\

Offline Gaea Sparker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 06:33:26 PM »

12 years from start to finish.
6 weeks actually writing the thing at the end - call it desperation by that stage!  :-\

Maybe there is something to be said about research in the "good old days"  >:D  I started writing my thesis in May last year (third year of my PhD).....I'm still writing!  To be fair i only got my final samples run in December ofr my 4th year - and have been processing them ever since....still have at least another 2-3 months of data analysis to do.

Advice - do a programming/theoretical PhD NOT an experimental one!  EVERYTHING goes wrong in an experimental/instrumentation PhD plus your results may have no logical answer/interpretation  :o and will slowly send you out of your mind.....I'm not a bitter and twisted PhD student honest!

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 07:54:02 PM »
Advice - do a programming/theoretical PhD NOT an experimental one!  EVERYTHING goes wrong in an experimental/instrumentation PhD plus your results may have no logical answer/interpretation  :o and will slowly send you out of your mind.....I'm not a bitter and twisted PhD student honest!
Heh :P

This reminds me of a quote: "In theory, everything works. In practise, it rarely does." :P

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 06:06:12 AM »
Maybe there is something to be said about research in the "good old days"  >:D  I started writing my thesis in May last year (third year of my PhD).....I'm still writing!  To be fair i only got my final samples run in December ofr my 4th year - and have been processing them ever since....still have at least another 2-3 months of data analysis to do.

You should have seen the state I was in after 11 years and 6 months! (OK so I was doing mine part time up until the last two months) - but you get to a certain point and you wonder why on earth you ever started doing a PhD. Hang on in there Gaea - being finished is wonderful!  ::)

Offline RoughBounds

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 10:02:11 AM »

You should have seen the state I was in after 11 years and 6 months! (OK so I was doing mine part time up until the last two months) - but you get to a certain point and you wonder why on earth you ever started doing a PhD. Hang on in there Gaea - being finished is wonderful!  ::)

ah, that doesnt make me feel so bad about my PhD peter. While doing my fieldwork (yr2) I met someone who offered me a job at a different uni, this took up 3 years, then another uni for a year, by then I had children and actually really needed to work so set up my own co and pt with the OU, more children .... etc.  Then my wife wanted to finish her studies, so this winter (yr8) I have promised myself the write. Dont do social sciences. Dont research too close to home. I did my research on remote rural communities in the West Highlands and changing crofting landscapes, I was born on a croft in a remote rural community, still live here, and am a crofter myself - too much reflexivity.

lost train of thought, pager went automated fire alarm

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 08:51:15 PM »
Considering my current academic position....

....I'm not liking the above time frames at all :(
-Doctor Schomer

Acedemician of Cognitex Labs.