Author Topic: Making clothes, changing hair and creating wings....  (Read 23316 times)

Offline Gaea Sparker

• View Profile
Making clothes, changing hair and creating wings....
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:46:49 PM »
Hey everyone,

I forgot who said they wanted to contribute to teaching other about making hair, clothes and accessories(wings, jewellery and the like) on Schome. 

I think this is something that should be on-going.  I would suggest some lessons over the next 10 weeks by those more capable.... followed by a grand finale fashion show/competition at the end of May (corresponding to when the island may close).

Anyone interested in joining in/learning or competing?

Offline Ahoy SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
Re: Making clothes, changing hair and creating wings....
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 06:03:26 AM »
Hey everyone,

I forgot who said they wanted to contribute to teaching other about making hair, clothes and accessories(wings, jewellery and the like) on Schome. 

I think this is something that should be on-going.  I would suggest some lessons over the next 10 weeks by those more capable.... followed by a grand finale fashion show/competition at the end of May (corresponding to when the island may close).

Anyone interested in joining in/learning or competing?

I am keen to be involved and learn.

I think some students with Wilco have been doing some work on this. Why not send him a message and see if he and some students want to lead or help with this.

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 06:18:10 AM »
I think that could have been me. I've been busily creating flowing skirts and necklaces over the Easter break. Some pictures on my user page on the wiki, but probably need to spend more time on doing that. I have been using an adapted necklace generator script to place beads, skirt panels etc in a circular arrangement.

Perhaps I should volunteer to lead a strand on this (to avoid being thrown out as an 'inactive person' as threatened yesterday)  lol But happy to support anyone working in this area too.

So far I have mainly been making prim clothes, wings etc and have limited activities that required textures on SP because they require cash, but of course we can start doing that now too. The same techniques could be used for making space suits, skates and similar.

Lots of possibilities for focussed sessions, for example: Basic avatar customisation, use of textures, use of clothing templates, prim clothes, use of necklace generator scripts and so on (not necessarily in that order).

Will Wilco be checking the forum? Happy to send message if not. I'd heard that one of the other newer members of staff had considerable experience of fashion design on main grid (Penelope)? which would be very useful.

I think the skills used for this sort of thing are very similiar to those used in building and in creating virtual artwork. So bearing in mind Eli's point about soft boundaries between related strands, please could we be situtated somewhere near those?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:28:13 AM by Amba SParker »

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 11:06:31 AM »
viba said as well

Topper

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 11:17:43 AM »
Excellent. Vibia and I have talked about making bracelets and things before. So we have quite a few interested people here which is great. I've been in a couple of times doing this sort of thing already last week, but will chat with Vibia and other interested parties before we put up a new strand page with some associated event times on the wiki. (I know that at least one other interested Schomer is away this week).

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 11:50:33 AM »
OK, well I can do some basic clothes, but I cant do prim stuff- and I cant do jewellry, therefore would love to learn to accessorise the virtual way!  ;)
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 11:51:35 AM »
If I can make a hula skirt then im up for this!
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Gaea Sparker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 12:51:18 PM »
OK Amba do you want to take the lead on this?  If we can meet once a week i could actually learn how to make stuff....

i managed to detach the wings i was wearing and now can't find them again in my inventory....but like the prospect of making a pair.  Don't know where you want to satrt with making stuff.... start with feet and work up or start with head and work down?

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 01:27:20 PM »
Ooooh Ive made a head before...a huge easter egg head with eyes and a smile !

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 05:21:28 PM »
Happy to lead, if only to make sure that I get to see KitKatKid's giant Easter egg head and hopefully a hula skirt in the future!  :) I'm usually in-world at least once a week, and spend hours looking at the wiki and forum, so hope it will work.

By the way, I have had exactly the same problem with wings. If you detach them, they seem to disappear for ever. If you have been creating them while wearing them, it is best to drop them first and then take them into your inventory. There may be a better way. Did I mention that I am not an expert! :P All I know about any of this is from what I've read on various wikis and other web pages over the Easter break. (Though I did play around with making things and fiddling with scripts quite a bit last summer).

So, we have strand. Now we need a name with universal appeal. Any ideas?

Avatar customisation? Clothes and Accessories? Avatar Art? Savvy Avvies? (clearly, I need a lot of help here :P  :-\  lol)

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 05:29:36 PM »
Im liking Savvy Avvies, although Avatar Art is quite good.

Offline Gaea Sparker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 01:53:34 PM »
Savvy Avvies! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 02:18:02 PM »
It's got to be Savvy Avvies!
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 07:11:54 PM »
I like Savvy Avvies! lol
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 07:53:49 PM »
 lol

The only thing with Savvy Avvies is that it looks a bit like Sawy Awies in the wiki default font!

I've added an initial meeting on the events page for next Friday evening, hope that will suits most of us. There is a basic sign up page.

Now, whilst I can provide boundless enthusiasm, there are certain other important skills I am lacking in. We would need people to lead on these to make this really work. For example:

* Technical Expertise - Wilco? Penelope? Hanson?
* Style and Fashion Sense - Vibia? Gaea?
* 'Ideas' people - KitKatKid? Topper? Fox?
* Schome Park Protocol Consultants - Hawaiian Shirts Representatives?

Any volunteers?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 09:18:36 PM by Amba SParker »