The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
February 28, 2020, 08:43:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Renaming categories  (Read 18305 times)
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« on: March 18, 2008, 09:39:36 AM »

Every page on the wiki has a link on the bottom left to a complete, alphabetical, list of all the significant pages in the wiki.

However, because this link appears as "Category:Schome", it's not particularly clear that it is a link to an index.

As far as I can see, there is no way of renaming a category - I can't do a universal edit which retags all the pages categorised 'Schome' so that they are categorised 'Index'.

I could nest all the Schome category inside an Index category, but that seems clumsy and wouldn't take people straight to an index.

Can anyone else spot a way of doing this which doesn't involve editing, one by one, all of the hundreds of pages on the wiki?

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 06:34:47 AM »

Glad you raised this - cos I have been thinking that we needed to rethink the category labels - and agree it would be great if there were a global search and replace!

Think we should have a discussion about the category labels before we do anything else with them though - and about how they are nested ... Need to try to make sure that the labels and the way they are nested reflects the structures we are trying to superimpose on the site (eg the map type views).
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:38:34 AM »

We currently have 31 categories, which should tie in with the site map:
Aspire Pilot
BECTA
Bliki
Builds
Delete
Delete? (this category doesn't work cos it has a question mark in it)
E-learning awards
Events
Funding
Help
Images
Meetings
Nature trails
Personal pages
Personal templates
Projects
Research
Resources
Reviews
SPii
Schome (every wiki page should have this category)
Schome Alpha
Schome Base
Schome Beta
Schome Park
Schomics
Scripts
Second Life
Site Map
Talk
Visions

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
Kathy Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 07:29:41 PM »

I fail to see how a category which every page falls into is any more useful than Special:Allpages.

Meep.
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 07:43:30 PM »

I fail to see how a category which every page falls into is any more useful than Special:Allpages.
Agreed - unless you don't know that Special:Allpages exists of course (which I didn't). 
So thank you for telling me about it.   :)
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 07:44:47 PM »

Are the 31 categories nested (again showing my ignorance but am I right in thinking that you can nest them so that sub-categories will also be displayed if you look at the 'super' category page)?
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 09:25:58 PM »

Ditto Peter's answer.
Thanks for the info, Kathy.
They do display slightly differently. The All pages display is probably easier to use, but the Schome category is perhaps marginally easier to access.
Still wish I'd thought to use an Index category from the start.

PeterT, they're mostly not nested. All categories are nested within Schome, so that if you go to the Schome category you get the sub categories displayed at the top. And SPii is nested within Schome Alpha.

Kathy Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 10:06:33 PM »

If you stick the link to Special:Allpages in the sidebar and label it "Index" (or "All pages" or similar), that'd be even easier. :P

Meep.
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 10:14:20 PM »

The ideal solution.

PeterT - how about doing that? Instant index.

PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 11:03:33 AM »

Done ...
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 11:04:10 AM »

I am planning to work on a heirarchy of categories - which will reflect the site map needless to say ...
KitKatKid Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

Call me Kit :D

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 11:30:48 AM »

On the sidebar, where it is meant to say the schome park programme, it only has room for the schome park programn  (On IE anyway..)

KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter
Marsbar9 Schomer
Coordinator

:-)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 11:49:19 AM »

I still think that the "Schome Park Programme" is wrong - it's the Schome Park Project that is part of the Schome Programme surely? Just like Aspire and the home ed bits are all part of the Schome Programme?

-Mars
Marsbar9 Schomer
Coordinator

:-)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 11:51:29 AM »

And I think that the "Wiki Index" should go under useful stuff instead of under site navigation.

Sorry to be picky lol

-Mars
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 12:14:05 PM »

I thought without an index you couldn't have navigation
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: