The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
January 27, 2020, 09:14:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rethinking the website  (Read 27912 times)
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2008, 07:52:30 AM »

I've been happily adding to the website redesign page - bits about the purposes of the website and 'projects' have been added for example.

Need to add info about audiences next - perhaps a mapping between the potential audiences and the different purposes/projects would be in order ...

I think we also need to go back to using the original colour scheme in the wiki. This was designed to give coherence across the forum, wiki (and other parts of the site). Check out this old page which shows the style we should be using for consistency across the website.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 07:58:18 AM by PeterT » Logged
Faji

Faji Bing

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 08:49:51 AM »

Agreed about the colour scheme.

Disagree about having different sub-domains. even i get confused about where i should go sometimes. i strongly believe that EVERYTHING (that's the forum/wiki/blog/brochure site/profiles/anything else) should be part of www.schome.ac.uk and not any permutation of xyv.open.ac.uk

Because I'm worth it.
Gaea Sparker

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »

Disagree about having different sub-domains. even i get confused about where i should go sometimes. i strongly believe that EVERYTHING (that's the forum/wiki/blog/brochure site/profiles/anything else) should be part of www.schome.ac.uk and not any permutation of xyv.open.ac.uk

I agree with Olly here - at the moment the web presence of Schome, Schome Park Project etc lacks complete consistency... as such it looks messy and disorganised!  Having a root schome.ac.uk gives a better sense of organisation across the whole project.  It would also be easier to find everything.  You can have schome.ac.uk/aspire if you really wanted to.  Peter, can we get clarification as to the OUs position about Schome - is it a recognised research project of the university - can we use the OU logo on the website, or are we only allowed to use it at conferences etc when actually presenting work?

Dan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 09:26:57 AM »

I'd take the opportunity to simplify rather than complicate.  Design in a few key elements you know will be used rather than lots trying to cater for every audience.  For instance there are some clear messages coming from the community which guide what you know are important to that one audience, but many of the other audiences are being catered for by guesswork.

I'd actually really like to see an events timetable on the front page of any schome website.  However rather than going ott on stating "Schome is broader than Schome Park" I'd be a bit more subtle, and use something like a front page events calendar to do this.  So the calendar (for the week) includes the Schome Park events, but also includes broader things, like Schome team members presenting at conferences, the community submitting ideas/projects for funding as has been happening lately...  Crucially by pinning that to the top of the 'brand' I think it forces everyone to ensure that 'Schome' progresses on many fronts and not just SL.

In a nutshell, if you glance at the calendar and see 100% Schome Park activity, then maybe not enough effort is being put into the broader picture of Schome.

SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan
Gaea Sparker

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2008, 09:36:08 AM »

I'd actually really like to see an events timetable on the front page of any schome website.  However rather than going ott on stating "Schome is broader than Schome Park" I'd be a bit more subtle, and use something like a front page events calendar to do this.  So the calendar (for the week) includes the Schome Park events, but also includes broader things, like Schome team members presenting at conferences, the community submitting ideas/projects for funding as has been happening lately...  Crucially by pinning that to the top of the 'brand' I think it forces everyone to ensure that 'Schome' progresses on many fronts and not just SL.

I think a schome calender is a fab idea!  You could add links to the wiki describing events further: but for a quick look see as to what is going on inworld....a calender on the front page is very sensible.  Any outsider visiting the site would be able to clearly see and find examples of the types of activities (student and research based) going on in the project. 

I suggest the frontpage is something that those in the project use everyday by Schomers and SParkers.... ie have blog/news feed, wiki, forum and calender.  There should then be a /info page for information for students, /teachers for information for teachers wanting to join th project - how does schome feed into the curriculum, what can their students learn....and then /research for educational researchers, investors and the like to outline all the research going on in the project.  Under the research section you can host all publications, all ideas about what Schome is - what Schome is meant to achieve etc.
Marsbar9 Schomer
Coordinator

:-)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »

I think we also need to go back to using the original colour scheme in the wiki. This was designed to give coherence across the forum, wiki (and other parts of the site). Check out this old page which shows the style we should be using for consistency across the website.

Sorry for chipping in - but that colour scheme is being used. It's on the main page and on the Schome Park page.

-Mars
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 06:18:53 PM »

I agree with Olly here - at the moment the web presence of Schome, Schome Park Project etc lacks complete consistency... as such it looks messy and disorganised!  Having a root schome.ac.uk gives a better sense of organisation across the whole project.  It would also be easier to find everything.  You can have schome.ac.uk/aspire if you really wanted to.  Peter, can we get clarification as to the OUs position about Schome - is it a recognised research project of the university - can we use the OU logo on the website, or are we only allowed to use it at conferences etc when actually presenting work?

It is a recognised research project within the OU - with funding from CREET and PLAC (OU research centre/group). So you can use the logo - but you need to get approval from someone re the way in which it is used - there is info about this on the intranet brand site or somewhere like that ...

I have deliberatly avoided using the OU logo cos I do NOT want to brand schome as OU - schome is wider than the OU - which is also why I went to a great deal of trouble to get the schome.ac.uk url (it really was a lot of trouble!).

I agree that it would be much better if all the websites had a www.schome.ac.uk root to their url - failed to achieve that in the past but will try again now ...

PeterT
Kathy Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »

I still prefer *.schome.ac.uk - if nothing else, it makes having things on other servers much easier. My like of this approach can be shown in the way I set up my TG blogging site, e-commerce site, etc - everything is at yourname.somesite.com. My profiles don't do this, as it's far more interlinked than either of the above.

However, a forum and a wiki should, I reckon, be on forum/fora/forums.schome.ac.uk (yes, all of them), the wiki on wiki.schome.ac.uk, the portal site thingy at schome.ac.uk, etc.

And the sitemaps are far too cluttered. They look more like flow charts that somebody decided to squash into a very small space and add links to. Also, www.schome.ac.uk and schome.ac.uk should both point to the same place. The latter currently produces an NXDOMAIN error, which is unhelpful.

Meep.
Gaea Sparker

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2008, 03:24:43 PM »

So i found that when i clicked on the wiki link on schome.ac.uk i was sent to this page:
http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Main_Page

yet once on the wiki - if I click on the link named "Schome park mainpage" i am sent somewhere else!

http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Schome_Park

There is no link on the wiki to get you back to the original wiki main page you are directed to from schome.ac.uk.

Why can't we intergrate the two into one page, bearing in mind some of the content is repeated on both pages!
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2008, 06:04:23 PM »

So i found that when i clicked on the wiki link on schome.ac.uk i was sent to this page:
http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Main_Page

yet once on the wiki - if I click on the link named "Schome park mainpage" i am sent somewhere else!

http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Schome_Park

There is no link on the wiki to get you back to the original wiki main page you are directed to from schome.ac.uk.

Why can't we intergrate the two into one page, bearing in mind some of the content is repeated on both pages!

It is the case that the wiki link in the Brochure site menu takes you to the mainpage of the wiki whilst there is no link to this page from the menus on the left of the wiki pages themselves.

The Schome Park Mainpage link (in the Schome Park Programme menu in the wiki) takes you to the main page for Phase 3 of the Schome Park Programme.

We need to be clear about different audiences which I have tried to map out - I do not agree that we should merge the schome main page with the Schome Park Programme Phase 3 main page.  I do agree that the current structure is confusing though!

Would like feedback re my thoughts about audiences and what they would find most useful to them as starting points ...
Kathy Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »

It'd probably help if you weren't using one website for two very separate purposes. Or three. Or however many there are.

Also I'm bemused that the forum seems to gain a new board every week or two. That's probably indicative of why things end up in such a mess.

Meep.
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »

It'd probably help if you weren't using one website for two very separate purposes. Or three. Or however many there are.

Also I'm bemused that the forum seems to gain a new board every week or two. That's probably indicative of why things end up in such a mess.

When you are trying to take over the world (well education anyway) then it does get complicated I agree - and I also agree that my tendency to try things out and see what happens could be a bit confusing (not to mention irritating) ...  ::)

Expect more disruption and experimentation over the next couple of weeks - at some point we will get to something we feel works better (for the time being at least).  ???
Gaea Sparker

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2008, 06:35:45 PM »

I completely agree with Kathy here. everything is overlapped. There is no indication which bits of the current websites/wiki are for Schome Park users, researchers or investers....i think that Schome Park users should have everything rooted to schome.ac.uk anything research based, invester based, adult beurocratic stuff should be on schome.open.ac.uk or elsewhere. Or do it the otherway round - Put all research at the ac.uk address and put forum/wiki and Schome Park user stuff at schome.open.ac.uk. 
Gaea Sparker

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2008, 06:36:49 PM »

At least now when you click on wiki or forum from schome.ac.uk you actually get sent to the wiki or forum!  :o
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2008, 06:48:12 PM »

I completely agree with Kathy here. everything is overlapped. There is no indication which bits of the current websites/wiki are for Schome Park users, researchers or investers....i think that Schome Park users should have everything rooted to schome.ac.uk anything research based, invester based, adult beurocratic stuff should be on schome.open.ac.uk or elsewhere. Or do it the otherway round - Put all research at the ac.uk address and put forum/wiki and Schome Park user stuff at schome.open.ac.uk. 

I think that the brochure site url must be www.schome.ac.uk. This is the home for the entire schome endeavour.

We could have www.schome.ac.uk/spp/ for the Schome Park Programme - however this would be an overview of the programme as a whole - ie all three (or more) phases so we would then need www.schome.ac.uk/spp/Phase 3/ or (less logically) www.schome.ac.uk/spp3/

Or we get folk to bookmark the SPP3 index page ... (which current thinking suggests should provide: links to relevant pages, communal blog, today's events, and rss feeds of most recent wiki and forum contributions!)

So many possibilities ...  >:D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: