The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
September 25, 2020, 08:43:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rethinking the website  (Read 29653 times)
Tara SParker
SP team

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »

I have to say that as a newbie I liked the diagram. It was very clear and  I liked being able to conceptualize the various parts of the wiki I have got lost in.

But I am not sure this would work as a first port of call. The colours of links etc and arrangement of diagram can be adjusted but I suspect that you will need to differentiate according to audiences.

How about a front page that asks some questions; 'are you a young person interested in finding out what people do in schome in second life?' could direct to a different place to, 'are you an educator interested in the using schome with groups of young people', and again, 'are you an educator interested in the philosophical underpinnings of schome'?.

Of course a note would need to explain that everyone can dip into everything - this would just work like a suggested reading list. It would make the three click (which I think it is important) more feasible.

I do apologize of this has been considered before.

Faji

Faji Bing

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »

I have one or two opinions about this :)

• we need to get rid of the whole frame thing, since that stops us having useful links like www.schome.ac.uk/news (as well as a host of other issues like not having a correctly functioning back button)
  • i think that it would be nice to have a blogging tool put in too, so, for instance, the newsletter could be put on the website every month, this gives a much more accessible way to see what we do (instead of having to trawl the wiki)
  • a nice diagram of what schome is and how schome park fits into it is a good idea (although this needs a bit more development :) )

im sure ill think of a few more things later.

Because I'm worth it.
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 03:39:47 PM »

Yes, I think a blog would be an excellent idea. As Kathy said the other day - using a wiki is a lousy way of blogging.

A blog is far easier to use than a wiki. It has a decent search facility. You don't have to know any HTML or similar language. It's a one-stop shop for the latest news. It produces a far more useful RSS feed than our forum or wiki can do. It doesn't overload you with information.

How would it be if we moved some of our most important and well used pages over onto the website (and, I agree with Olly, get rid of frames so that we can give URLs for all pages, not just the main page) so that newcomers have easy access to them.

We start a blog (giving anyone who wants them posting rights).

We put the events page right up at the top level of the wiki. We also use the wiki for storage (scripts, images, information about educational systems, info about past Schome intiatives) and for collaborative development (as with the space project and the J8 project).

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »

I agree 100% with fox on this one

Topper
Zoee SParker
SP team

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 11:03:10 PM »

As a new user -- I find SO information that it is confusing to know what it is I am looking for.   A simplified design is an excellent idea!
Gaea Sparker

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »

I think you need to make it clear - who is the audience of your website!

I find the diagram/sitemap extremely confusing - i have no idea how to read it - or which direction is that of the thought process....there are no arrows to illustrate how you get from one idea to another etc etc I don't know what Aspire is. Perhaps an interactive timeline or flow chart might be a better way of presenting it? Whilst the site map could be useful  to educational researchers - it is of no use to and has no context for people like me in the project nor Schomers themselves.  We will need to make it clear that this is the research end of the website!   

Rowan
SP core

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 02:35:06 PM »

I would like to echo Tara in her emphasis on deciding 'what is the first port of call' - and then asking 'who are you' and leading that type of person into the appropriate route, perhaps by questions.

Not sure about the points about different media, especially I'm not so sure about the blog idea.  Yes you can search a blog but whoever does?  I would suggest that's a very rare thing to do.  With a blog you dip into it as often as you feel like it and quite often just read the first posting.  I think the 'bliki' idea is much more helpful.

Rowan SParker
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 05:42:25 PM »

What I was really thinking of was that time and again I need to search the wiki or the forum for things which I know are in there and the search facility is no help at all. In my experience, the search facility on blogs works far better.

Lots of people have commented on how difficult it is to find things - and I thought this might be one way of addressing the problem.

(I frequently search my main blog - but that's because it functions as my research journal. I rarely search any of the other blogs I read, though I do on occasion if there's a post I want to reference.)

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »

The site map came out of an attempt by me to identify the key aspects of schome activity - and locate them in relation to each other ... but clearly that is unclear to some folk!

The potential audiences are pretty diverse - I did start with thinking about a mapping that asked 'Who are you' and then led folk to likley pages - but it got very complex very quickly.

Audiences include (not in any particular order):
  • Educational professionals (K12/FE/HE) - interested in future of education, educational approaches, second life, schome park programme
  • Parents/students - interested in Schome Park Programme and/or educational approaches (had quite a lot of interest from home educators or potential home educators in the early days)
  • Policy makers - interested in future of education and/or ICT in education (web 2.0 - inc wiki, SL)
  • Other groups interested in student voice/child protection
  • Funders/potential funders/press
  • Researchers

I'm moving towards thinking about having a combination of the following:
  • moving to different server so can have direct urls to every page in brochure site
  • Brochure menu - Horizontal menu in brochure site that provides links to key pages (Home, Site map, Wiki, Forum, FAQs, ?? - what other items should be in the menu (bearing in mind space available)?
  • Sitemap - I've done a new version that responds to comment about having high profile stuff nearer top left (ie Schome Park Programme) - but is that any better than the original one - would need to have a few more things added and hot links for each area to somewhere relevant in the wiki (eg an summary/index page for that item)
  • FAQs - with link from brochure menu - Probably a wiki page so we can add to it easily ...

I've started a page in the wiki for sharing ideas about content of the website, menu structures, etc ...

All suggestions welcome ...
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 07:00:12 PM »

• Brochure menu - Horizontal menu in brochure site that provides links to key pages (Home, Site map, Wiki, Forum, FAQs, ?? - what other items should be in the menu (bearing in mind space available)?

Maybe the blog insted of schome park bliki....

Topper[/list]
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »

Top 30 most popular pages on the wiki:
# Main Page (69,411 views)
# Schome Park Events (33,267 views)
# Script Libraries (13,773 views)
# Wiki moderation log (13,504 views)
# Second Life (13,093 views)
# The schome-NAGTY Teen Second Life Pilot (12,897 views)
# Schome Park (12,894 views)
# SP Government: Building Department (12,480 views)
# The Schome Park bliki (12,105 views)
# The schome vision (9,175 views)
# Current events (9,129 views)
# Sensor page (8,884 views)
# Second Life sitemap (7,359 views)
# Second Life Orientation (7,179 views)
# Second Life Projects (7,106 views)
# Schome Park Dictionary (6,993 views)
# Schome (6,837 views)
# SPii Bliki (6,795 views)
# Education systems (6,704 views)
# The SchomeBase bliki (6,627 views)
# Schome Park Archaeology (5,566 views)
# The Aspire Pilot (5,404 views)
# Second Steps (5,396 views)
# Te Whaariki (5,393 views)
# The assessment problem (5,280 views)
# Second Life Who's Who (5,275 views)
# Education system in Tunisia (5,196 views)
# Role of ICT (4,828 views)
# Proposed swatches (4,802 views)
# Schome Park sitemap (4,748 views)

Faji

Faji Bing

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 10:06:04 PM »

brochure site stats:

URLPage ViewsUnique Page ViewsTime on Page
home7077506252.93156733
forum_and_wiki34652364114.540201
projects1114808230.4437257
news82659657.18534483
publications66848488.27125506
investors40830819.36538462
contact38128740.5
map12552182.5679012

Because I'm worth it.
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 10:18:40 PM »

Faji, could you explain some of those categories? What counts as a unique page view? Is it when people visit the site and only go to that page, or is it a count of different visitors? Is the time on page an overall time in minutes - people have spent a total of 18 and a bit minutes looking at the map - or is it a measure in seconds of the time people spend on the page on avege - the average visitor spends 182.5679012 seconds looking at the map?

Faji

Faji Bing

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 10:29:13 PM »

A page view is defined as a view of a page on your site that is being tracked by the Analytics tracking code. If a visitor hits reload after reaching the page, this will be counted as an additional page view. If a user navigates to a different page and then returns to the original page, a second page view will be recorded as well.

A unique page view, as seen in the Top Content report, aggregates page views that are generated by the same user during the same session. A unique page view represents the number of sessions during which that page was viewed one or more times.

Time on page is average no of seconds.

Hope that helps.

Because I'm worth it.
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 06:41:49 AM »

Top 30 most popular pages on the wiki:
# Main Page (69,411 views)
# Schome Park Events (33,267 views)
# Script Libraries (13,773 views)
# Wiki moderation log (13,504 views)