Author Topic: hang gliding  (Read 9444 times)

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
Re: hang gliding
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 03:53:32 PM »
Good point Animus... Hadn't thought of that :S
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »
I could make a very basic version, which just controls your buoyancy; I'll see what I can knock up tonight.
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline Marko Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »
Ah, but hang gliding you can go upwards as well, you can catch the wind layer things. That could be hard. Is that possible inworld?? :-\
but with the E-Chute you can go downwards, but with hang gliders, you can go sideways too.  :-\

Thermals simply don't exist in SL, so you'd need to basically invent your own, and either make going up possible all the time or make certain predefined areas thermals, where you go up automatically. The main script in the E-Chute, if it is modifiable, should serve with very minor alterations to work for the going down bit.

As to who can do the scripting, I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to vehicle scripts, but I'll see if I can make a start. Even if you can't script very well, modifying a few bits of current scripts should be possible, though I personally don't like doing so (I think it diminishes functionality, and makes the script needlessly long/complex)

Offline Prime SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 05:43:08 PM »
I like the idea of thermals to gain height :) It's also more accurate than my initial concept.

I was originally thinking about the wing design and using speed gained while angled downwards to give upward momentum when angled upwards (more into the basic physics side than real life)  This would unfortunately meant you could never increase your height above your launch position, which was problematic....  mmMMmm  thermals...

We would need 4 controls, bank left, bank right, angle up, angle down...   although a simplified version _only_ using thermals could do without the angle up and down....

Any ideas (apart from parachutes during the testing phase >:D )

Prime.

Offline Prime SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 01:10:15 AM »
This is something I'm really interested in, but don't have the vehicle/scripting skills to pull off myself.

Should i organise a meet and see what people have, or could those who know more than me reply with ideas / progress before a schome meet?

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 10:41:51 AM »

I have a good knowledge of altering vehicle scripts, but not so for writing them :-[