Author Topic: New Discussion Session Tuesday 12th Feb 8pm GMT  (Read 8380 times)

Offline Ronnie SParker

• View Profile
New Discussion Session Tuesday 12th Feb 8pm GMT
« on: February 07, 2008, 11:29:45 PM »
Hi,

I've posted a new Ethics & Philosophy discussion session on the Wiki events page, date and time as above.

The topic is 'Does science still need philosophy?' In this session I hope we can discuss the current relationship between philosophy and science, and how, as science increasingly answers questions that were traditionally pondered by philosophers, philosophy might still help us to frame and understand the discoveries of science.
If you're interested in coming along please follow the link below and add your name to the page on the wiki.
E&Psession
Hope to see you there,

Ronnie

Offline Jpskater777 Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
Re: New Discussion Session Tuesday 12th Feb 8pm GMT
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 01:44:20 AM »
i would like to go to it though that day is my b-day :P so i probably go somewhere but maybe ill come while i finsh my homework  :( home work o a b-day bad mix lol
-Jpskater777

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:06:56 AM »
short ansaw to that is yes  :P

Topper

Offline Ronnie SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 08:10:55 PM »
Just a reminder that this is at 8pm GMT in the Japanese Garden if you fancy coming along.

Offline Ronnie SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:08:11 PM »
This is due to start now in the Japanese Garden if there's anyone around who fancies coming along.

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 08:26:45 PM »
I can't seem to get inworld-the client can't find www.secondlife.com. :(
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline Kathy Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 08:52:50 PM »
Sounds like DNS problems. Try changing your DNS servers - OpenDNS are popular among people who previously had issues getting into SL.
Meep.

Offline Ronnie SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 08:54:42 PM »
Hi,

As there weren't many of us around tonight we decided to postpone this discussion - I've moved it to 8pm on Wed 20th Feb, and amended the events page on the wiki.
If you'd like to come please can you follow this link -E&Psession - and add your name so I have an idea of numbers. Marko - I've removed your name from the updated wiki page even though you said you'd try to make it again, so if you can come please can you add it back on? Thanks.

Hope to see you then,

Ronnie

Offline Kathy Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »
Actually, scratch what I said above and read LL's latest blog entry. This, of course, assumes you can read the thing. If not:

Quote from: Official Linden Blog
[12 Feb 08, 10:31 a.m. PST –teeple]

Well, that was mercifully brief.  A top level regional router in the Southeast was misbehaving.   By the time we figured out roughly where the culprit was, the long haul service provider had rebooted, or hot-swapped, or whatever it is routers need done to them when they get temperamental.

If you find yourself still unable to connect, you may need to flush your local DNS cache.  For WinXP,

• Open a command prompt
  • Type:  ipconfig /flushdns
  • Dismiss the window
  • Retry connecting.

For Mac,

• Open Terminal.app or an xterm session (both apps should be in
  • Applications/Utilities),
  • Type:  lookupd -flushcache
  • Dismiss the window
  • Retry connecting.

Some residents (and Lindens) are getting DNS errors trying to connect to Second Life. We’re not sure where the issue is yet or how widespread the impact is, but we’re on the hunt for it. We’ll keep you posted.

If you're on a mac and are using Leopard, replace "lookupd" with "dscacheutil". I would tell LL, but they disabled comments.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 09:00:07 PM by Kathy Schomer »
Meep.

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
It's back working again. Thanks. :)
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline Ronnie SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 10:22:15 PM »
Just to confirm this is still on tomorrow night (Wed 20th) at 8pm in the Japanese Garden.
Hope some of you can make it.

Ronnie

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 07:19:37 AM »
I shall try, but it all depends on whether my brother will let me :P
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Ronnie SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 01:34:05 PM »
Cool, did you see my PM about future sessions on medical issues? Be good to get these up and running in the next few weeks if you're interested.

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 06:17:57 PM »
Yep I am and I will ask my brother in a minute if I can come on. He's younger than me and I have to ask! I'm on it now checking out his graphics and they are awesome so I am well pleased!
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Ronnie SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 10:04:53 PM »
Hi,

Thanks to those who came along to this last night, and made it a very interesting session.
There were loads of good points raised, many of which we didn’t have time to explore in detail. Below is a quick overview of the main points; if anyone has anything they’d like to add/discuss further, please post it below.

We discussed:

The boundary between physics and metaphysics – how far has the former encroached on what used to be considered the territory of the latter?

Arguments for/against the existence of God, and whether the arguments against are primarily scientific (i.e. empirical proofs) or philosophical (i.e. logical arguments).
With ref to this the following was suggested as interesting: http://www.newscientist.com/channel/opinion/mg19626294.200-does-god-have-a-place-in-a-rational-world.html
This led to discussion of the alternatives to belief in a divine being, with reference to the birth of the universe –
 - What existed before the big bang?
 - The instability of nothingness (making something inevitable); or the idea of a cyclical universe.
 - Is the idea of ‘nothing’ becoming ‘something’ conceivable?
 - Does refutation of a divine being just mean recourse to a different kind of faith?
This led us to discuss what it actually means to think something is highly probable (scientifically) if we can't properly conceive it. It was argued that it means something, but that as a species we may have the issue of trying to 'catch up' with our own knowledge, in order to fully understand it. It was felt that science is useful for proving certain things, but to extend those proofs to the wider world you need philosophy; and where we have no evidence, we go to metaphysics.

The nature of scientific ‘proofs’ - specifically the philosophy of Hume, who argued that you never actually experience the laws of nature; you just experience that one thing tends to follow another, which is no proof that they always will - different events happening one after another is no proof that one causes the other.

There was general agreement that advances in science will definitely throw up new philosophical questions – some of these are by their nature currently inconceivable, though others are already emerging: interesting to see New Scientist the other week talking of ‘intergenerational ethics’ with regard to issues raised by space exploration. This is a relatively new idea engendered by both scientific advancements and scientific awareness.

It was felt that the concept of the "goldilocks zone"  invites philosophical questions (the goldilocks zone is apparently the area around any star which is suitable for terrestrial life)  - this is not an area I know much about so if any of its exponents read this please feel free to elucidate!

Quantum theory - What is reality? -  Only that which can be measured/experienced, or that which is in some way ‘out there’?
It was suggested that Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle and quantum theory in general have quite a few ramifications on philosophy, not least in making Laplace’s ultimately predictable universe impossible, and the debatable issue of whether the universe can still be deterministic with quantum theory (as some quantum behaviours appear distinctly random).

Finally there was general agreement that the Science vs. Philosophy/Belief debate is a battle that will never end, because no matter how scientifically advanced we become, human beings will always believe in something else, such as a God or other religious figure.

If any of those present feel I've missed or (more importantly) misrepresented anything please let me know.
There will hopefully be a series of sessions on issues of Medical Ethics coming soon - Kit Kat Kid and I will let you know once these have been sorted. Hopefully see you then.
Thanks,

Ronnie