Author Topic: Welcome To The Eco Board  (Read 5716 times)

Offline Spiral Schomer

• View Profile
Welcome To The Eco Board
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:49:17 PM »
Hello,

Welcome To The Eco Board

In This Board You Will Find Various Topics, To Do With Eco In Schome, And Out Of Schome

Posts Will Include:

• Eco Information Centre
  • Eco Affairs In Schome
  • Eco Affairs In The Outside World

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome To The Eco Board
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 06:18:38 PM »
I did a topic on it in english about 2 mounths ago do you wish me to dig it out....

Topper

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 08:05:28 PM »
Spiral, could you say more about what Eco means to you in this context? Do you mean to concentrate on political / economic / activist angles or do you want to take a more scientific / ecologist approach?

Do you intend the strand to involve people in finding out more about the natural world, or to change some of the ways in which they live or act, or to find ways of influencing the wider population?
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Spiral Schomer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 08:51:23 PM »
I am taking a science / ecology approach.

I think young people of the world today, and adults, need to know what we are doing to the environment, and how we can improve this.

Offline Baso Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Desfrites
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 07:08:08 AM »
See..i think most of the ppl here wil know..its just most people cant be bothereed..or forget to do something about it...which it is like that topics..its not whats ahppening...or why its happening..its how we fix it thats important....
!!Baso!!

Offline RoughBounds

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 08:51:15 AM »
I am taking a science / ecology approach.

I think young people of the world today, and adults, need to know what we are doing to the environment, and how we can improve this.

As an ecology graduate who eventually ended up being a social scientist I think you need a good basic understanding of the sciences so you can understand the evidence behind all the rhetoric - esp re climate change deniers. However, I feel that the you need to complement this with an understanding of the social political and economic factors as well. 

I think what you are doing is valuable, as is the ability to discuss these issues in this forum.

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 10:12:53 AM »
See..i think most of the ppl here wil know..its just most people cant be bothereed..or forget to do something about it...which it is like that topics..its not whats ahppening...or why its happening..its how we fix it thats important....

Telling people what is actually happening is a very good step towards fixing it. It is extremely suprising the number of people I debated with on the NAGTY forums that did not have a clue what was actually going on, and spent their time saying that it was all a conspiracy, either to get funding, or by 'eco-nazis'.  :-\ With this in mind, spreading awareness can certainly not be classed as needless.
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline RoughBounds

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 12:50:12 PM »
I work with a few 'grassroots' (excuse the pun) environment groups and hands on stuff works best. One group of which I am a director has a service level agreement with the local council. That means we collect recyclable waste from the houses in our community and get paid to do so. This means that we as a community are able to create a local job. We also have a attractive site with native trees, a shed, a kettle and biscuits and get lots of volunteers. Unexpected people who never thought they were green but like to lend a hand. Research shows that this level of lending a hand encourages people to reflect on what they do with waste and what they waste far more than any TV ad campaign.