The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
October 31, 2020, 02:04:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prim counts?  (Read 3870 times)
Kathy Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:57:07 PM »

As I mentioned somewhere-or-other, I think it would be both feasible and useful to have an automated prim count system. This would consist of a robot that weekly (or any-other-time-period-ly) counted the prims in-world and updated the wiki page accordingly. Such a system is fairly easy to build.

Any comments? :P

(For the inevitable "Why?" question: because I'm lazy and like automation. Also, a weekly robot would be more reliable than a weekly human)

(P.S. where should this go?)

Meep.
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:06:36 PM »

Seems an excellent idea to me.

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
Explo Schomer
SP Global Moderator

Nice, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »

I've said this before but ach well-I think it would be great. Considering that the robot would presumably only need one prim I don't think location would be any problem-if it wasn't put underground or high enough to be out of the way and hopefully reduced lag, it could always go near the noticeboards.

I think I have another answer for the 'why?' question-it would give me one less thing to remember. :P

'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.
Faji

Faji Bing

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »

i did start this last year (http://faji.co.uk/sl/prim/) but got distracted by various other things. happy for others to get involved though.

it's basically a single prim that does a scan and moves and then does another one etc etc. was thinking that by recording when it was first scanned and if it had been given permision that we could find illegal builds much easier. so b+pp would be able to log into a page and click a tick if it was approved.

Because I'm worth it.
Baso Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 09:03:54 AM »

yes, though your olly, is much more complicated...basically....the one kathy is talking about is a simple XXXXX/15000 and X Of Temporary Prims like in the SPTC underground, although thisb one updates the wiki as well as inworld :P

!!Baso!!
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 01:47:22 PM »

How can you update the wiki from in SL?    8) lol
I want to be able to do that ... or do you mean it updates a website (rather than the wiki)?   ??? :'(
Faji

Faji Bing

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 01:55:32 PM »

yes, though your olly, is much more complicated...basically....the one kathy is talking about is a simple XXXXX/15000 and X Of Temporary Prims like in the SPTC underground, although thisb one updates the wiki as well as inworld :P

ahhh, i see. well, just so you know, i will get back onto mine soon enough, it's at about no 2 on my todo list.

Because I'm worth it.
Kathy Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 02:17:18 PM »

I'm up for working on a sim-wide prim recorder too. :P

I have most of a prototype for the wiki-updater done - however, the wiki signup seems to be broken, so it can't actually edit the page.

The general principle is that my server calls an object in SL for a prim count. Having done so, it logs into the wiki and updates the page. It uses a comment in the page to know where it should be editing. It's currently set up to act on User:PrimBot/Bot test.

Meep.
Kathy Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 07:50:21 PM »

Yay double post.

Okay, so I have it working - see http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/User:PrimBot/Bot_test for a sample.

Unless anyone objects, I'll point it at the real page and set it to go weekly (if we want weekly?)

Meep.
Explo Schomer
SP Global Moderator

Nice, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 08:33:31 PM »

Weekly would seem the sensible choice for looking at any more long term trends, especially as it's what the phase 2 counts are, but more frequent counts would be more useful for looking at the effects of certain builds, so the graphs which you ran on the statistics page of your blog would also be good, although I'm certainly thankful for an automatic per week count by itself, so thanks again. :)

'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 10:41:08 AM »

Looks very good to me.

Also draws attention to the scarily high number of prims currently on Alpha.

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 01:58:47 PM »

what about having a resech page of dailys and the linked on of weeklys you can track trends and inividual impacts

Topper
Marsbar9 Schomer
Coordinator

:-)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 05:20:40 PM »

Can they be set to fridays please - simply for continuity of all the ones we've done.

-Mars
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: