Author Topic: New Guy on the Block  (Read 8696 times)

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
Re: New Guy on the Block
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 07:56:15 PM »
theres a lot of people with the same skills in SL but if  lot left at once there would be ressesion

Topper

Is that when the value of money goes up?? :-\
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »
not really

Topper

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »
Oh... what is it then??  :-\
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 08:48:21 PM »
According to Wikipedia,
"a recession is a decline in a country's gross domestic product (GDP), or negative real economic growth, for two or more successive quarters of a year."

Being an enclosed space with no outside trading allowed, I don't think Schome Park has a gross domestic product which could decline.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Kathy Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 12:51:30 AM »
Actually there is outside trading - you buy Linden dollars every so often. This would make the GDP of Schome Park roughly (US$50) or something. >.>
Meep.

Offline Euphloozie Phlox

• Euphloozie Phlox
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 08:12:09 AM »
I wonder if the prim count might count as a form of currency? (For Merlin, in case he's not been in SL, each object is made up of one or more primitives or "prims" and there is a limit to the maximum number of prims you can have on the island (about 1500 I think) so we've had to evolve systems for managing the prims.)

Staff also have SL currency that they can allocated to students for their projects - uploading textures etc. I think our closed environment of Schome Park might be a very interesting environment for some innovative exploration of business concepts :)

Oh, and welcome to Schome Merlin. Look forward to seeing you inworld.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 09:25:03 AM »
Actually there is outside trading - you buy Linden dollars every so often. This would make the GDP of Schome Park roughly (US$50) or something. >.>

So, if a lot of people with skills left Schome Park, we'd probably have an anti-recession, because we wouldn't need to spend so much money on uploading textures etc. In monetary terms, we have an anti-economy  :)
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 01:32:53 PM »
you mean boom

thats a normal economy
My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 01:40:39 PM »
If our GDP went from being substantially below zero to a little below zero, I'm not sure we could characterise it as a boom  lol

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 04:43:18 PM »
there is a limit to the maximum number of prims you can have on the island (about 1500 I think)
If it was 1500, we'd hardly get anything built! :P
It's 15000 - ten times as much :P

Offline RoughBounds

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »
a lot of teh monetary economics of schome are hidden, the cost of the island, the  actual and opportuntiy cost to individuals and organisations of participating in world. The individual and organisational cost of hosting and accessing worlds. See disc elsewhere about what kind of graphics card and connection speed one requires. In fact those who are unable to invest in sufficintly uptodate technology get a 'poorer' experience.

I also felt that economies are socially embedded, or more properly economies emerge from social relations. Even in something like schome which relies on trust and reciprocity if economies are about exchange (and we forget about money) then it already has an economy. Perhaps as the numbers increase and indivuduals become less known and knowable then alturism trust and reciprocity will decline and we may have to look at alternative forms of value like a LETS system or time dollars. That would be interesting.

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 05:33:29 PM »
Perhaps as the numbers increase and indivuduals become less known and knowable then alturism trust and reciprocity will decline and we may have to look at alternative forms of value like a LETS system or time dollars. That would be interesting.
This reminds me of something I found somewhere: Dunbar's Number, the maximum number of people where everyone can keep track of everyone else's relationships with each other (and hence the maximum size of a very close community), which is around 150...

Offline Merlin SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »
Great conversations...I think I started something here.
Here's a link to a wall street journal article about the real world issues of the SL banking ban. Very interesting.
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120104351064608025-SibpDSgUSgHvudMtnx9nUSABhZA_20080221.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top
-Merlin

Offline Rowan

• SP core
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 10:29:30 AM »
Were the SL banks a pyramid scheme?
Rowan SParker

Offline Merlin SParker

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 10:31:25 AM »
No, for the most part. But there was of mix of respectable ones and people just trying to scam others.
-Merlin