Author Topic: so nice to be here  (Read 9258 times)

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
Re: so nice to be here
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 09:08:02 PM »

Classes taking part with schome is not the right way to go

Offline Kathy Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 09:09:12 PM »
I agree. With myself. Unsurprisingly. >.>

So what was your first post saying? I assume it's saying that I was wrong.
Meep.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »
I think Kathy has raised a really interesting and difficult area - one of the things we need to explore is the extent to which a schomey approach to learning can work in the context of school.

All the folk who sign up to the project are explicitly asked whether or not the sign up to the schome ethos and approach - which is about giving students control of and responsibility for their own learning, treating everybody as equal irrespective of age (not withstanding the extra power that some of us have cos we control access to the wiki/forum/SP), etc..

We are going to have to suck this one and see. If we find that the schome ethos is being undermined then I am likely to take drastic action ...  >:D

Will be interesting - and I suspect quite challenging for some of the folk involved - even where someone really believes in the schome approach they may be constrained by the context in which they operate - so may not be able to do the things they would like. This is one of the things I want us to explore - how far can the schome approach work in more traditional contexts ...  ???

Offline Yati

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 04:56:29 PM »
Hi every1,
Thnx 4 warm welcome. I have worked on text-based CMC, and have been to few places on SL. I am quite a newbie as far as avatars are concerned. I am wondering how people feel about thier real life vs avatar identity, or say virtual vs real life identity. In what ways virtaul environments represent real life, or is it something completely new like having a scond life, if one can have one!! Do people become more 'open', feel free, etc. while interacting online?? Does your avatar look like you/ or do you want your avatar to look like you anyway?

Would be nice to hear what people out there think?
Yati

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 04:59:38 PM »
I think having a 'second life' is great because it allows you to interact with people without really knowing who they are. You don't have to worry what they will think of you, because you are represented by an avatar. You feel free, and especially in Schome Park, us students have a say in what we build (On Alpha anyway) rather than just "No you can't have a media centre. Yes there will be a school" etc etc.

Nice to meet you,
KitKatKid
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Jpskater777 Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 05:04:38 PM »
when i first started in schome it was nothing i have ever used before. It is a place where schomers and sparkers can express there imagination by building amazing things. like y in r/l you may never have the chance to create a huge building or make a car. here you have the chance to do all that even if its not real. About my avatar it doesnt really look like me i made it so i would have more of a second life i personally wouldnt like to an avatar that looks exactly like me in schome.  
-Jpskater777

Offline Alice SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 08:29:59 PM »
Hi Yati! Thanks for the questions, it is good to know how people feel..
I haven't been into schome park yet, but SL lets me communicate more easily, as I don't have to worry about how I look or whether I use my hands too much :) So, I agree with KitKatKid:
You don't have to worry what they will think of you, because you are represented by an avatar.

And:
Does your avatar look like you/ or do you want your avatar to look like you anyway?
My avatar is similar, though not exactly. I think it's more expressive - looks like the way I would if I was courageous enough!

Offline Yati

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
hi and welcome to school

not school - not home - schome - the education system for the information age

Yes Peter, I aggree with you. I'd perhaps say, 'welcome 'on board' - the education system for the information age'. I am sure there are lots of people 'out there' who do not like school, or home, but schome, and learning while flying in Schome Park.  ???

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 08:37:28 PM »

or building, or scripting, or driving/piloting/sailing, or governing, or testing, or discussing, or experimenting, or personalising, or chatting, or simply thinking..
There is a lot to do, and I've certainly seemed to learn from all of it is my point

Offline Jpskater777 Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 10:53:05 PM »
hi and welcome to school

Aaargh

not school - not home - schome - the education system for the information age

Sorry - couldn't resist  ::)  lol

lol just saw my mistake  :P
dint know y i said school so
welcome to schome lol

:o You fool Jp, you've ruined UK/US relations and started nuclear warfare
lol
-Jpskater777

Offline peachez12 Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »
what have yall learned so far about vertical buisness do you think its a good class

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 08:46:31 PM »
its not a class and we dont have a economy in SP....

Topper

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 10:47:32 AM »
what have yall learned so far about vertical buisness do you think its a good class
its not a class and we dont have a economy in SP....

Topper

I think that this group are doing stuff about enterprise 'vertical business' - but without using money as the measure of success! So for example - they might set up a business to make T shirts which they give away, with the measure of success being how many Tshirts get given away and, more importantly, how many people actually wear the T shirts. But I could be mistaken ...  ::)

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 12:32:08 PM »
unlikly to move me i'm sticking o my suit penguin shirt and hawieen shirt

Topper

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 11:29:42 AM »
Schome is just as sane as I left it.

Welcome Yati, I'm the Doctor, i'll be popping in occasionally to keep Peter frustrated :P.
-Doctor Schomer

Acedemician of Cognitex Labs.