The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
October 31, 2020, 01:57:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MediaWiki  (Read 7701 times)
Kathy Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 15, 2008, 05:30:44 PM »

Okay. The version of MediaWiki used by WikiWorks is currently 1.5.8. The latest version is 1.11. 1.5.8 is several years old. The "legacy" line - i.e. the lowest supported - and potentially secure - version is 1.6.x. There is no excuse for not being on at least version 1.6. Furthermore, the server is running PHP4 - which is unsupported as of 1/1/2008. Six months notice were given. As such, you're running outdated software on an outdated webserver, and thus lacking in both functionality and security.

In the middle of last year I was assured this would be corrected by October. This quite clearly didn't happen.

So, why are we still using five-year-old, deprecated software?

[/rant]

Meep.
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »

Because the schome staff are laz busy
Marsbar9 Schomer
Coordinator

:-)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:39:06 PM »

Because - if anyone bothers to pay attention and lose their attitude - it isn't Schome staff that run the server - it's the OU!

-Mars
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »

So true - I mean what Mars said obviously - we have no control over which versions of the wiki/forum the OU installs on its servers - and big organisations tend to change over to new versions very slowly. I think the reason for this is that they need to fully test the impact of new versions - I'm told that sometimes you loose 'features' when the new version is updated that means that current stuff doesn't run as expected ...

So - frustrating - but part of life at the OU ...

Heck we only moved to Office 2003 about a year ago!
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 07:14:30 PM »

I'm not sure about loosing features, but it's possible that stuff might change and no longer work in the current way. I don't think it's as important as you make out to upgrade, it's not broken so why fix it?
Kathy Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 07:18:39 PM »

Because it is broke (IE7 login link, anyone?). Also because I spent a chunk of yesterday running into walls imposed by outdated software. Mars, I know it's handled by the OU. I have known that for the last six months. That has little relation.

No features are lost, and all the features are backward-compatible.

It's nice of you to echo Mars' insults, Peter.

Meep.
Marsbar9 Schomer
Coordinator

:-)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 07:22:14 PM »

What do we gain that we will need right now in the new thing?

Maybe you'd like to take it up with the OU? Schome can't do anything about it.

-Mars
Kathy Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 07:30:36 PM »

Sane templating, welcome messages that don't need disclaimers at the end to avoid confusion, etc.

My annoyance largely stems from quotes like this:
Upgrade the wiki software - the current version is 1.10.1, and we're on 1.5.8. There are almost certainly some security issues with year old versions too. :p - Katharine Berry
We have asked the OU to do this - they say that they can't until October ...  :O( PeterT 18:35, 29 July 2007 (BST)

And Mars, has it not occurred to you that I do not go to the OU, I do not live in Milton Keynes, and have a distinct lack of contact there. Also the tech people tend to be on holiday when they're wanted.

A few months I'd accept. THREE AND A HALF YEARS is ridiculous. PHP announced six months ago the discontinuation of PHP4, and requested that you should "use the rest of this [2007] year" to migrate. You'd think the people maintaining servers would keep track of such notices, but they apparently don't.

Meep.
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 07:33:15 PM »

The log-in 'problem' is easily fixed and i don't see what's the big issue with it, I also don't see why you consider that an insult.
It is all of little matter, calm down, katharine.
Kathy Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 07:35:36 PM »

Because - if anyone bothers to pay attention and lose their attitude - it isn't Schome staff that run the server - it's the OU!

Emphasis mine. And that's what I consider an insult. Precisely why is something you either will know or won't know, and aren't going to be swayed if I tell you anyway.

Meep.
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 07:53:34 PM »

Emphasis mine. And that's what I consider an insult. Precisely why is something you either will know or won't know, and aren't going to be swayed if I tell you anyway.

I agree with you Kathy that this could have been phrased in a more constructive manner ...  :-[

PeterT

An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 07:56:06 PM »

Well yes, I understand despite the grammar errors. Peter was merely agreeing with the fact that they have no control over upgrades on the OU server. I'm always open for new opinions even if my current mindset seems to reject them.

[Note: new poster, post delayed]
Spiral Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 08:02:46 PM »

I, myself, would find Mar's post quite insulty-ish, and he could have phrased it alot more constructively.

Back to the matter in hand, if it up to the OU, then Peter, would you kindly contact them when you have some free time. I don't really want to be learning on old, out of date software, when I could be learning on new, fab software with alot more services to offer.
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 08:04:29 PM »

Back to the matter in hand, if it up to the OU, then Peter, would you kindly contact them when you have some free time. I don't really want to be learning on old, out of date software, when I could be learning on new, fab software with alot more services to offer.

I assure you we do 'encourage' updates to be made - but to be honest it doesn't seem to make much difference - there is a schedule for these things which seems to stretch years into the future.  :(
Kathy Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 08:10:59 PM »

It's a shame that the software makers only allow for three and half years then, given it's now been three years and seven months. :P

Meep.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: