The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
August 13, 2020, 06:22:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which names do you want Linden Labs to call the Schome Park regions?-costs in brackets                                                                                                    This poll is only for the 'official' names, as LL recognises them
Leave the region names as Schome Park and Schome Park II ($0) - 0 (0%)
Change to Schome Park I and Schome Park II ($100) - 8 (38.1%)
Change to Schome Park Alpha and Schome Park Beta ($200) - 11 (52.4%)
Leave the region names, but change parcel names-explained here ($0) - 2 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What shall we call the new combined island?  (Read 30144 times)
Explo Schomer
SP Global Moderator

Nice, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2008, 05:29:07 PM »

Okay, I've added a poll (moderator abilities are fun :P)-note that Alpha or Beta are instituted for apparently being the most popular names, so other options such as Schome Park Bravo are possible. If you want the poll changed in any way, please don't hesitate to say.

'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.
Sgt. Liony
The Hawaiian Shirts

Mnyearse?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2008, 06:26:24 PM »

can you add an Alpha/Beta option but not officially change the names, just do like they were saying above but with SPa/SPb instead of SP1/SP2?? :P
Explo Schomer
SP Global Moderator

Nice, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2008, 06:31:27 PM »

The poll, at present, is only determining what the names as Linden Labs recognises them are, so to change the names among ourselves, without asking Linden Labs to change anything, comes under the 'Leave the region names...' option, although this does indeed need clarifying.

'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.
Sgt. Liony
The Hawaiian Shirts

Mnyearse?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2008, 06:36:21 PM »

ahhh, ok.

In which case, you need a 'leave the region names but edit the info bit for different names' :P
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2008, 10:23:30 PM »

This whole thing seems pointless..

If it's alpha and beta or whatever is winning, I'm not going to call them that..
Sgt. Liony
The Hawaiian Shirts

Mnyearse?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »

Meh, as ong as you can make yourself understood :P
Baso Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2008, 01:01:03 PM »

honestly, i find this idea really pointless....(changin the sim name instead of parcel name)
Sis they call the first xbox "xbox 1" or "xbox alpha" or the first pringles "pringles alpha" no they left it, "pringles" and added original to it when the new stuff was released.....Schome Park and Schome Park 2 are eay to see the difference....besides, whydo you need to know what came first, except for history, add  a parcel name and let that describe where you are.

!!Baso!!
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2008, 01:48:38 PM »

I agree it's easy to see the difference between the two islands, and that there's no particular need to know which comes first.

However, Schome isn't just Second Life - it's the forum and the wiki as well. And it's not just people who have been members for a year or so, it's newcomers as well.

Currently, there is a confusion between Schome Park II (our new island - technically a region) and SPii (the second phase of our first island/region). There is also a confusion between our entire territory (technically an estate) Schome Park, and the island previously known as SPii, Schome Park.

Now in day-to-day life that confusion is going to make little difference to most of the people posting regularly on these forums. They generally know where they are talking about. However, when we're discussing the project with outsiders, publicising it, writing up reports and articles, introducing newcomers etc it would be helpful to have clear and distinct names. That's why I'm in favour of our territory (estate) remaining Schome Park and our two islands (regions) becoming Schome Park Alpha and Schome Park Beta.

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2008, 02:21:20 PM »

Thanks for that clarification Fox ...

Blimey - such a lot of discussion of what I thought was a very simple issue!
Given that, as Fox has pointed out, the need for a change is mainly for the benefit of folk who are unfamiliar with the project.

The key thing is that we need to be able to refer to the Estate - ie combined islands - as Schome Park without confusing that with the original region which is currently called Schome Park. I think this means that Options 1 and 4 in the poll are non-starters. That being the case then the choice is between Options 2 and 3.

I would like to draw this debate to a close - not least cos I think that there are more important issues to be resolved ... So the poll will close tonight at about 9pm.

PeterT
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2008, 02:30:20 PM »

I agree it's easy to see the difference between the two islands, and that there's no particular need to know which comes first.

However, Schome isn't just Second Life - it's the forum and the wiki as well. And it's not just people who have been members for a year or so, it's newcomers as well.

Currently, there is a confusion between Schome Park II (our new island - technically a region) and SPii (the second phase of our first island/region). There is also a confusion between our entire territory (technically an estate) Schome Park, and the island previously known as SPii, Schome Park.

Now in day-to-day life that confusion is going to make little difference to most of the people posting regularly on these forums. They generally know where they are talking about. However, when we're discussing the project with outsiders, publicising it, writing up reports and articles, introducing newcomers etc it would be helpful to have clear and distinct names. That's why I'm in favour of our territory (estate) remaining Schome Park and our two islands (regions) becoming Schome Park Alpha and Schome Park Beta.

What confusion? I don't think anyone is confused and if they are it's easily explained. I think this is a far smaller "issue" than everyone's making out.

Thanks for that clarification Fox ...

Blimey - such a lot of discussion of what I thought was a very simple issue!
Given that, as Fox has pointed out, the need for a change is mainly for the benefit of folk who are unfamiliar with the project.

The key thing is that we need to be able to refer to the Estate - ie combined islands - as Schome Park without confusing that with the original region which is currently called Schome Park. I think this means that Options 1 and 4 in the poll are non-starters. That being the case then the choice is between Options 2 and 3.

I would like to draw this debate to a close - not least cos I think that there are more important issues to be resolved ... So the poll will close tonight at about 9pm.

PeterT

here here to this debate being closed, there are far more important things to be resolved
I haven't viewed the poll for a while, I'm betting alpha and beta are way out front so my voice won't be heard, but if there is a very serious confusion (as it seems to be made out as) between the collective and schome park then why not just change 'schome park' to 'schome park I'?
Sgt. Liony
The Hawaiian Shirts

Mnyearse?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »

because it's still quite similar, more so than Alpha or Beta.

You guys are gonna kill mec for this, but another possible solution wiuld be Island 1 and Island 2?
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »

Seeing as the poll is closing today, I'd like to appeal for people who voted for 'Leave the region names as Schome Park and Schome Park II' or 'Leave the region names, but change parcel names'  to vote for 'Change to Schome Park I and Schome Park II' if you are against alpha and beta, this would result in a tie.
Sgt. Liony
The Hawaiian Shirts

Mnyearse?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2008, 02:42:20 PM »

... or you could change it to 'leave the region names but change the parcel names' *flutters eyelashes* :P
Dan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2008, 03:01:04 PM »

Seeing as the poll is closing today, I'd like to appeal for people who voted for 'Leave the region names as Schome Park and Schome Park II' or 'Leave the region names, but change parcel names'  to vote for 'Change to Schome Park I and Schome Park II' if you are against alpha and beta, this would result in a tie.

I'm not entirely sure that pushing in the direction of a tie helps to move things forward but hey ho.  I would however encourage everyone to consider the options and register a vote whatever it may be.  Our community is growing larger yet the number of individuals voting remains quite small.

SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »

Just to say some confusion can be seen with greek letters so I would encourge peeps to change vote (bais I know).

Topper
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: