The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
December 01, 2020, 09:18:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What info do you think is acceptable to give away?
Your Home address
Your City
Your County
Your Country
Your IP address
Your Hobbies
Your Age
Your School/college year
Your friends' names
Your gender
Photos of you
Photos of family members
Your pets' names
Your forum password
Your wiki password
Your SL password

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think is acceptable?  (Read 4346 times)
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:54:22 PM »

What do you think is an acceptable ammount of information to give away?
Explo Schomer
SP Global Moderator

Nice, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 08:45:08 PM »

I think the question is rather vague-a would give a different amount of information away on this forum than I would on others etc.

'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.
Spiral Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:53:09 PM »

LOL I Laughed at "pets names"

Like who would go..."oh yeh my cat is called eric"??

P.S Random Name for a cat. I DO NOT HAVE A CAT CALLED ERIC!
Marko Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:06:03 PM »

Personally, I'm not at all sure why there needs to be such close monitoring of personal information. Could one of the staff, or someone else, explain? After all, there's no restriction on giving personal information to unknown people in surveys, and I can't actually think of anything the information would be used for which a person without that information but living close couldn't do. I know that the OU needs to be very careful, due to its position, but the restrictions seem often to be excessive, and cause more harm than they prevent.
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »

We know that there are some dodgy people out there on the Internet - just as there are in other areas of life. There are con men, thieves, fraudsters, paedophiles. And we know, from discussions in world, that a lot of Sparkers have knowingly come into contact with such people online.

We want Schome to be a safe place, and for you, your parents and teachers to perceive it as a safe place. Therefore we limit the amount of information that is exchanged. At the moment, Schome is populated by a relatively small number of people, who are relatively well informed about the Internet and Internet safety. As it grows, we need to have measures in place to protect hundreds, or even thousands, of teenagers who may not have considered these issues before.

There's are also other, more positive reasons. The less we know about each other's real-life identities, the less we can prejudge each other. We don't make the same assumptions based on people's age, or their accent, or how they look. I've always found that a very important aspect of Schome.

And concealing your real identity gives you more freedom to say things and express things that you might never do if you felt there was a possibility of your friends or enemies, or relations or neighbours finding out that that was how you really felt or what you really believed.

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
Decimus Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:49:50 PM »

When I noticed there was a poll, but before I noticed any of the options, I thought, "Someone should put something like 'where you live' on there, as a joke" because I don't think anyone would *actually* put that that should be allowed :P

Of course, in a more closed environment, a greater level of freedom would be given than with a public thing like this forum where practically anyone can read it...
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 10:50:28 PM »

Its interesting that more people would give away their age than their year group
Explo Schomer
SP Global Moderator

Nice, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 05:49:31 PM »

I think that some people clicked the most extreme options that applied (so ticking only city, for instance, rather than city, county and country)-I did the first time, but corrected it after seeing the results.

'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.
Decimus Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 05:55:51 PM »

**Points at 'forum password', 'wiki password' and 'SL password'** They'd usually be the same, no?
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 06:15:12 PM »

you see i give away more on here than i would in other places as it is run by a reputable org and all staff have CRB checks etc, I gave a way my reagion and year group that is all than i would normally.

Topper
Miss. Vibia
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 06:40:14 PM »

Same really, I mean people can guess what year you are in by the comments you make- like 'Last year of GCSEs' or 'Choosing my exmas for next year' and I don't think region is a problem as there are many people in Central, South West, North East England!  :D

We could be heroes just for one day.
Marsbar9 Schomer
Coordinator

:-)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 06:51:34 PM »

I'd agree, but I'm still very cautious.

-Mars
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 07:18:03 PM »

**Points at 'forum password', 'wiki password' and 'SL password'** They'd usually be the same, no?

Unless you change them. Which isn't the worst idea.
Miss. Vibia
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 07:18:58 PM »

Well as nobody else knows them apart from staff, I'm not overly bothered....  :D

We could be heroes just for one day.
Decimus Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 07:44:17 PM »

Faz - I suppose so, but most people wouldn't :P
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: