The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
December 07, 2019, 08:42:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Framework(s) for thinking about foci for learning ...  (Read 4093 times)
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 14, 2007, 09:28:29 AM »

One of the things we need to be clear about in Phase 3 of the Schome Park Project is how what we are doing relates to the learning that we wish to develop as part of the project. We have played around with 'Second Life skills' and 'Knowledge age skills' - but need to really firm that up and be much clearer about how we are going to recognise and give credit for the learning that takes place.

I'm moving towards a view that we should adopt a framework such as the P21 Framework from the Partnership for 21st Century Skills - and my personal views is that our key focus should be on the skills element of this framework (though of course you can only develop skills in the context of some 'content'. (I've put a summary of the P21 framework in the Knowledge age skills page in the wiki)

Does that make sense - or are there other more appropriate frameworks that we should look at?

The P21 Framework is still very high level - so if we were going to use that as our starting point we would need to take each of the skills (dimensions) and break them down to provide some sort of more detailed indicators of what competence in each of the skills/dimensions might look like ... or do you know of places where this work has already been done that we could build upon?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:32:05 AM by PeterT » Logged
RoughBounds
SP team

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 09:34:44 AM »

kriela and I have had some tentative discussions about information literacy and how we might do this inworld
Yankee SParker
SP core

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:58:57 AM »

Peter, thanks for starting this thread. The P21 framework gets a LOT of discussion here in the states and I know some educators who are doing great work with that framework. Let me reach out to them and see what additional levels of granularity they have either encountered or created.

Yankee
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 10:45:23 AM »

Peter, thanks for starting this thread. The P21 framework gets a LOT of discussion here in the states and I know some educators who are doing great work with that framework. Let me reach out to them and see what additional levels of granularity they have either encountered or created.

Yankee

That would be incredibly helpful - thanks.   :)
Yankee SParker
SP core

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 11:15:23 AM »

I've just blogged it and twittered it - hopefully my networks will come through.

Meanwhile, the .PDF is here for those interested: http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/documents/frameworkflyer_072307.pdf
Ahoy SParker
SP team

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 01:42:09 PM »

Folk may find this article/abstract useful as part of this discussion...Multiple Ways to Motivate & Support Activity and Learning - An Introduction to the Imaginative use of Multiple Intelligences. Compiled and co-facilitated by Alice Macpherson & Allen Stevens, 2007.

http://seekersbrain.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/112+Ways+to+Teach+or+Learn+2007.pdf
Yankee SParker
SP core

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 03:03:30 PM »

I've just confirmed that the entire Global Kids http://holymeatballs.org/ curriculum is built on 21st Century Skills!

Peter, do you know Barry Joseph? I have met him and can contact him, but I also know Meghan Deana, who works for GK, and confirmed they have what we seek. The only question now is ... how much can they or will they share.

I would think that an appeal from director to director (you to Barry) would have the most success but I'm willing to help however I can. Let me know!

-kj-
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 03:43:42 PM »

I've just confirmed that the entire Global Kids http://holymeatballs.org/ curriculum is built on 21st Century Skills!

Peter, do you know Barry Joseph? I have met him and can contact him, but I also know Meghan Deana, who works for GK, and confirmed they have what we seek. The only question now is ... how much can they or will they share.

I would think that an appeal from director to director (you to Barry) would have the most success but I'm willing to help however I can. Let me know!

-kj-

I don't know Barry J - but happy to contact him and see where that gets us ...
Yankee SParker
SP core

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 04:16:25 PM »

Peter, that's terrific. Please do drop him a line, mention my name, and Meghan Deana's as well (she works with him and I know her as well). Meghan is actually the one who confirmed they are using 21st Century Skills via comment on my blog:

http://www.storyofmysecondlife.com/?p=564

I don't know what he's going to say, they probably invested a great deal of time and $$$ into their curriculum, but, a contact between you - director to director - is probably ideal, and, may have implications for collaboration down the road!

-kj-
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 06:38:46 AM »

Folk may find this article/abstract useful as part of this discussion...Multiple Ways to Motivate & Support Activity and Learning - An Introduction to the Imaginative use of Multiple Intelligences. Compiled and co-facilitated by Alice Macpherson & Allen Stevens, 2007.

http://seekersbrain.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/112+Ways+to+Teach+or+Learn+2007.pdf

I wish I could do more of the 'dream learning' type - would mean I was getting more sleep!  ;)
Yankee SParker
SP core

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »

Hi Peter, just checking in - did you get anywhere with Barry Joseph? If not, may I be of assistance?

Hope you all had a great holiday!

Yankee
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 12:19:09 PM »

Hi Peter, just checking in - did you get anywhere with Barry Joseph? If not, may I be of assistance?

Hope you all had a great holiday!

Yankee

Yes - Barry responded very constructively. Unfortunately GK have not developed the sort of framework that we were hoping for (ie they haven't filled out the sub-dimensions within the P21 framework) - rather they have used it as a vehicle to focus their planning I think. However, Barry has sent me some info re a Digital Literacy Skills evaluation tool that they have been using (I haven't looked at that in detail yet ...)

So it's back to having to develop our own sub-dimensions within the P21 framework (unfortunately) - unless anyone knows of where this work has already been undertaken elsewhere ...
Yankee SParker
SP core

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »

I'd love more info on the Digital Literacy Skills tool...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: