The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
November 19, 2019, 01:43:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another look at the strands?  (Read 33224 times)
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »

yes peter but fools seldom differ   >:D

Topper
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2008, 07:09:51 AM »

Eli and I kicked off a maths group just before Christmas and early indications are that this could be useful to lots of people if we work together - meaning that it should be student-driven in terms of topic and Eli and I are happy to prepare sessions based on those drivers.

We also have another project that we'd like to start when the island is open again, working on an interactive sculpture.  Don't want to say too much about this now, but it will take several sessions to complete and everyone who participates will get the chance to learn/practice several different skills and have absolutely equal input to the finished piece.

Both of these sound good to me - I'm intrigued by what interactive sculpture might be ...

Get those slots publicised on the Schome Park Events page... (I think this is going to become another of my mantras in Phase 3 - alongside 'please refocus on the topic'  ::) )
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 05:47:29 AM by PeterT » Logged
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2008, 04:37:52 PM »

No, great minds do not think alike, that is why they are great.
Explo Schomer
SP Global Moderator

Nice, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »

How do you explain the simultaneous creation of calculus, by Newton and Leibniz? Or more recently, the independent conversion by two groups of adult stem cells to a near embryonic state?

'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »

Morphic resonance?

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
Explo Schomer
SP Global Moderator

Nice, eh?

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2008, 05:15:11 PM »

I'm more inclined to consider individuals as grains of sand, moved by the moral zeitgeist (which is just a culmination of all the other grains of sand). One grain might be the first past a certain point, but it certainly didn't do it by itself-to mix my metaphors we truly stand on the shoulders of giants, and it is the cooperation required to make such a pyramid that is far greater than the person at the top. We're certainly no less for being one of many. Anyway, I've just gone and answered my own question...

'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2008, 05:32:04 PM »

How do you explain the simultaneous creation of calculus, by Newton and Leibniz? Or more recently, the independent conversion by two groups of adult stem cells to a near embryonic state?

I've never once thought about explaining the simultaneous creation of calculus, by Newton and Leibniz or the independent conversion by two groups of adult stem cells to a near embryonic state, but I'm going to go with accident lol
Athena Schomer
SParkers

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »

Hi, everyone.  I'm totally new here, so I don't even know if this is the right place for this, but has anyone ever thought about a second life orchestra?  I can't imagine how something like that would work myself, but, judging from other posts I've read, it seems like anything is possible...

estella Schomer
SParkers

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2008, 05:15:58 PM »

Hi, everyone.  I'm totally new here, so I don't even know if this is the right place for this, but has anyone ever thought about a second life orchestra?  I can't imagine how something like that would work myself, but, judging from other posts I've read, it seems like anything is possible...

the orchestra idea is brilliant
I'm totally going to join (violin)
who's the conductor? we should just start with a small chamber ensemble and eventually grow to a full size Tchaikovsky orchestra! so excited!
you should conduct!
Thespian Schomer
SParkers

View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2008, 05:23:47 PM »

That's a great idea! I would love to be a part of something like that! We should get this orchestra thing off the ground. I was also love to create a studio for mixing music and stuff. Tell me what you think!
Marko Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2008, 06:35:55 PM »

I think the ways of having an orchestra are limited to a) recording playing in real life (which might be made more difficult by the relatively low quality of many microphones- I know my in-built one isn't terribly good) or b) scripting instruments so that they play certain notes when keys are pressed. It would be interesting to try.  :)
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2008, 06:46:16 PM »

i think it was a member of staff (who's name escaps me) who had made some instroments and was going to help us make our own.

Topper
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2008, 07:19:58 PM »

Rab ran that session
http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/Rab%27s_Jam_Session

I think he has a selection of instruments which were brought over from the Main Grid.

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
Achilles Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2008, 07:20:17 PM »

the orchestra idea is brilliant
I'm totally going to join (violin)
who's the conductor? we should just start with a small chamber ensemble and eventually grow to a full size Tchaikovsky orchestra! so excited!
you should conduct!

A more simpler aproach but less sl involved would be to set up voice chat and have the microphone on while playing live. though if you have no access outside of class then that could be difficult to say the least

My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!
Pigment SParker
SP team

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2008, 07:29:26 PM »

..sound sculptures...sound sculptures...sound sculptures....
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: