Author Topic: Another look at the strands?  (Read 32945 times)

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Another look at the strands?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 01:21:33 PM »
not a lot links thjem i really likephysical geogrphy but am not a keen on human. However I would chose geography to many other subjects.

Topper

Offline RoughBounds

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 01:39:38 PM »
That's a marevl of compressed allusion represented by a form of headgear.

Could somebody say a little more about the different types of geography? Volcanology and the depoliticising of dispossession appear on the face of it to be worlds apart. What is it that links the study of the two of them?

Geography is about spaces, places, landscapes and peoples. These have an inherent physicality. However, they also touch on all sorts of aspects like 'how we are in the world' and how we understand it.  For example, landscapes are physically present and we can map the complex geological history of a landscape. However the word landscape comes from both a german idea of landscape as a unified political unit and a dutch idea of landscape which is that which is seen and appreciated aesthetically. Layered on top of the physical sediments that give landscape form are physical human interventions and social, political, economic and cultural inventions. It all gets very muddy and geographer human and physical analyse the mud.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2007, 01:48:16 PM »
These have an inherent physicality.

I love the way that Second Life takes us right back to the basics in a subject. In history it challenged us to think about the role of history in a land which has been in place for less than a year.

In geography it challenges us to think about what geography is when it is separated from physicality. The political and aesthetic considerations are highlighted by the online environment. Perhaps in Second Life, human geography and volcanology (to take on example) are separate disciplines rather than one muddy whole?
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2007, 03:02:06 PM »
... Perhaps in Second Life, human geography and volcanology (to take on example) are separate disciplines rather than one muddy whole?

Can you do mud in SL?  ::)

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
Well, thee are the mud farms of Canton, and the mud wrestling events at the University of Southern Queensland...

I think mud in Second Life tells us more about human geography than physical geography  :)
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 04:50:35 PM »
I asked my geography teacher today and she is having a look tonight

Topper

Offline RoughBounds

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 05:09:23 PM »
These have an inherent physicality.

I love the way that Second Life takes us right back to the basics in a subject. In history it challenged us to think about the role of history in a land which has been in place for less than a year.

In geography it challenges us to think about what geography is when it is separated from physicality. The political and aesthetic considerations are highlighted by the online environment. Perhaps in Second Life, human geography and volcanology (to take on example) are separate disciplines rather than one muddy whole?

Philosophers of science like Van Frassen ask what is the difference between the physical and the model (our visual representation of the physical). For example is it the modelling of the atom or plate techtonics that gives it an understandable physicallity rather than the things themselves which have unimaginable scales. So extrapolating this to SL, how does being co-present in the same space affect our understanding of it as a space, and how what is the relationship between the virtual (e.g. model of cardiovascular or solar system or hardians wall) and the actual.....

Offline Zenna

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2007, 06:10:54 PM »
Ha!  Muddy indeed! :)  Topper you sound like a man after my own heart with your passion for physical Geography and Roughbounds, you sound like you could be a valuable source of info on the human side.  When you say, you're a lapsed Geographer, do you mean you've not chosen it at school? 

You know, 'Geography' is so dynamic and physical and human are interrelated, it is good to keep abreast of issues in both.  Praytell, did someone whisper the magic words..... volcano in SL?  Is it active? :D

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »
Oooh... if you *could* do mud in SL you could go underground and have archaeological digs!  :D

Anyways.... Archaelogy is definately coming back isn't it??

And I'm glad that Geography is going to be coming in!  8)
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 06:50:26 PM »
Can I just ask if there could possibly be a Health and Medicine board set up?
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2007, 07:14:20 PM »
Ha!  Muddy indeed! :)  Topper you sound like a man after my own heart with your passion for physical Geography and Roughbounds, you sound like you could be a valuable source of info on the human side.  When you say, you're a lapsed Geographer, do you mean you've not chosen it at school? 

You know, 'Geography' is so dynamic and physical and human are interrelated, it is good to keep abreast of issues in both.  Praytell, did someone whisper the magic words..... volcano in SL?  Is it active? :D

Yes, good georgrapher. There is a volcano in Schome Park, and it is indeed very active, due to it's eruption proccess which you will see in me and JPskater777's machinima...  >:D

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2007, 07:23:24 PM »
It erupted??

Seriously??

Yes we do have a volcano- partly becuase we were hoping to get a geography strand going in SPii but it just didn't happen!  :(
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline RoughBounds

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2007, 07:53:13 PM »

Truth be told I was mainly into  maths and physics in school, geography came later, then went of again.

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2007, 07:59:01 PM »
how do you make the volcano erupt??

Topper

Offline Ronnie SParker

• Schome Park
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »
I am interested in medicine and doctoring so I would like maybe a Health and Medicine strand? This could include role plays and could also include a tie-in with E+p about moral issues etc. what do you think?

Just wondering if you've read 'The man who mistook his wife for a hat', by Oliver Sacks? If not, I recommend it.
Sacks is a neurologist, but has a great knack of bringing out the philosophical elements of his peculiar cases, questioning our ideas about self-identity, and about how we perceive and understand the world. There's a huge amount that could be discussed in this area, though not so sure how we would role-play obscure neurological disorders?  ???