Author Topic: Another look at the strands?  (Read 32933 times)

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Another look at the strands?
« on: December 01, 2007, 07:21:27 PM »
I was thinking, we've got a lot of good strands, Ethics and Philosophy being the most popular, and then of course you've got media, which is slowly beginning to take off. Would it be possible to have more set up, and if so, what would people be interested in?

I know that Gaea is finalising plans for Geography sessions, and now we've got the coding/HTML/IT thing  (:P).

One of the things I'd like to see is a few people discussing career options, so maybe someone from Connexions? Astronomy? (Looks at Olly!) Journalism? Physics again?

Just some thoughts.
-Mars

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
Re: Another look at the strands?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 09:15:34 PM »
I am interested in medicine and doctoring so I would like maybe a Health and Medicine strand? This could include role plays and could also include a tie-in with E+p about moral issues etc. what do you think?
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 09:49:39 PM »
Physics is always ticking away in the background, although in the sense of more learning through experience rather than being taught, which I personally prefer. Journalism would be quite interesting, although I guess the idea for a newsletter and the whole publicity creation is already working towards that. I think one idea, which would be extremely hard to organise, would be to attempt to bring in guest speakers for one or two sessions.
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 09:55:52 PM »
now we've got the coding/HTML/IT thing  (:P).
Seeing as Spiral has left, we'll have to find someone else to take over the main responsibility in the SPTC; I might do that if nobody else wants to.

Also, I'd be happy to do some sessions on the subject of making HTML and websites and that, if enough people want me to...

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 01:08:06 AM »
now we've got the coding/HTML/IT thing  (:P).
Seeing as Spiral has left, we'll have to find someone else to take over the main responsibility in the SPTC; I might do that if nobody else wants to.

I'm a bit confused. Spiral wasn't any particular role in the SPTC (everyone) and as far as I know wasn't that interested except in the schomeTECH side of things, are you saying you would like to take over the responsibility of schomeTECH?  ???

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 08:31:19 AM »
Justa suggestion....

If gaea and peter thught it good I have a brilliant enthousiastic geography teacher who might be interested in helping the geog side of things....

Topper

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 10:33:56 AM »
Geography! Sounds brilliant! Love geography- althoughas of September I am giving it up to replace it with Geology wich is a cross between Geog and Physics... so maybe the two strands will cross over a little... eg. formation of the earth and plate techtonics etc..  ???
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 10:38:33 AM »
Justa suggestion....

If gaea and peter thught it good I have a brilliant enthousiastic geography teacher who might be interested in helping the geog side of things....

Topper

Topper, it might be worth PMing PeterT with this suggestion, to bring it to his attention.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 11:39:08 AM »
hokey dokey

Topper

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 04:54:45 PM »
I'd have thought that geology would be more based on chemistry?
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline RoughBounds

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 08:15:08 PM »
I like the geography suggestion, I am  a lapsed geographer myself to count me in.

Quite a bit of chemistry in geology, a lot of overlap with physics (behaviour of liquids) as well though. Geology has played a key role in how we understand our world. It challenged the biblical account of creation within western thought, this led to christian scientists diefying nature and ultimately to outdoor and green movements. Darwin was a very talented geologist and his theory of atholl formation is still current, he had a copy of Lyles treatise on geology with him on the Beagle and it influenced his work heavily.  Anyway ....

I was planning to run some research methods sessions based in participatory methods, so if anyone is interested give me a shout ...

Warning conversations may drift

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 06:26:33 AM »
I'm tempted to suggest that strands should follow activity - last thing we want is lots of empty strands (cos the forum is difficult enough to navigate already). If a group are engaged in some activity that looks like its going to grow then we should form a strand around it ... Just a thought ...  ???

Offline Faji

• Faji Bing
    • View Profile
    • My wiki page
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 09:02:35 AM »
I'm always up for selling a carrer in physics (we are virtually contractually oblidged to nowerdays!), just track me down and I will tell you how great it is :)

oh, and don't let gaea hear you call her a geographer (she's a planetary geologist)!  :D
Because I'm worth it.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
    • Dan's Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 09:20:05 AM »
Well it certainly seems that your line of work has turned you into something of a globe-trotter Olly.  How many countries have you visited this year?
SL: Woop Superior (MG) / Woop Kamachi (TG)
RL: Dan

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 04:39:25 PM »
Jealous?  lol

That's a posh title Gaea  ;)
-Mars