Author Topic: Plans for design and management of Schome Park in Phase 3  (Read 24226 times)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Plans for design and management of Schome Park in Phase 3
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 10:07:48 AM »
People aren't going to be happy with that..

I expect peter will be hiding under his desk cowering in no time

I'm not hiding on this one - I think that we need to really shake up the can a bit and make some changes as a result of what happened in Phases 1 and 2 of the project.

I agree with Mars that we need to re-establish strands of activity that have regular planned sessions which utilise the expertise of staff and students. Staff took too much of a back seat in terms of organising activities in Phase 2 IMHO.

I think that we really need to address the way in which planning permission is dealt with - whilst the system used in Phase 2 worked well in terms of restricting the number of prims my belief is that is significantly reduced the number of people involved in building and the amount of experimentation and playful building (which is one of the most effective ways of learning how to build). I think that there is a lot to be said for Baso's suggestion that we should start from scratch again on Schome Park (the original island) - and perhaps once Phase 3 has been running for a few weeks we should totally wipe and redesign Schome Park.  :o

I think we need to do something radically different to ensure that new folk are welcomed into the community in a way that encourages them to stay and become actively involved - we lost loads of folk in Phase 2 (and the indications seem to be that this is in part due to the ways in which we failed to recognise and/or cater for their needs). This is partly about induction sessions - but is also about the ways in which we interact with each other and with new folk (it is very easy for us to appear to be the in-crowd and I have witnessed occasions when our behaviour has strongly reinforced this without the people concerned being aware of it).

We also need to do something about refocussing our attention on what is being learnt - this links in with the Frameworks for thinking about foci for learning and with the Ratings element of the Profile tool that Kathy has been developing. It also links with the Barnstars initiative (which I think is a really positive an constructive development by the way - nice one Mars, Faz, et al).

So - lots to think about - we need to be bold and be prepared to go back to first principles - remembering that what this is about is trying out ideas to inform what our future education system should be like ...

Now that should stimulate a reaction or two ...  ???

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 11:17:24 AM »
ooh I'm excited now :P

I just think we should play it by ear for now, see how phase three develops in the first few weeks and build upon that. the Hawaiian Shirts are planning on meeting up to discuss the possibility of us running induction sessions - Aston mentioned this as being the more personal approach, showing how we were once in new comers' positions.
-Mars

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 12:05:09 PM »

I don't neccesserily agree with what was said about people being intimidated into not playfully building. A great way to teach important building skills and bond at the same time is to join Yankee and his group or other new avatars, I have been doing this a lot and feel I have made quite a lot of success teaching them all about the properties of path cut, hollow, taper, dimple, twist, radius and so forth and how to use these techniques to create cool objects like half pipes for the skatepark :)

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 06:02:28 PM »
I remember the lesson you gave me Faz on the last day of SPii. You created like 10 things in as many seconds and then we went through them one by one. Then we made funky retro spinning chairs which you made me sit on :D

I think having a one-to-one tuition with another person is a better way to learn
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2008, 07:59:33 PM »
Although the problem with this being that everybody has their own strong points- there are people like Faz and Baso who are builders, Dec and others (sorry can't think straight atm!) who script and people like myself and Liony who make clothes.... so it would be problematic doing one-to-one sessions.  :-\
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2008, 08:14:12 PM »
Tbh I would agree with wiping the island from scratch but we'd need to change drastically or completely remove pp regs

Else its groundhog day  :(

And this we need to plan it completely rather than just building where it takes the fancy
I think the optimism that we'd basically recreate the entirety of SP1 was optimistic at best
My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!

Offline Baso Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Desfrites
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 11:32:25 AM »
Hmm.

Well it was mentioned before ..way before...that we should try and make things more ....organised...as well as creative..(ok i came up with the creative bit :)

So have a newbie area (mentally) where you can play in the sandbox, and you have SS/Scho-op close buy...and a little newbie area.

This time..i suggest we have the meeting area in SP2 (2nd Island)...

But yeah....wipe it..then have meetings in SP2 to decide what we put in SP1
!!Baso!!

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2008, 11:35:19 AM »
I agree we should wipe SP1 then discuss what to have on it.

I remember lakes being discussed as well as possible caving systems (i think the caves was your idea baso, correct me if im wrong).

P.S Im now THS so ill be able to come to these meetings! hehe

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2008, 12:23:40 PM »
We do have some good buildings in SP1 but if some of the purposes of them will be moved to SP2 it may be an idea to wipe it and start again... we can think about what we would want there and it would give people like Baso and Faz something to do!  :D

P.S Im now THS so ill be able to come to these meetings! hehe
Yay! :D
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Sgt. Liony

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Mnyearse?
    • View Profile
    • Autism Online
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »
I think we should be able to keep some things ... and, for example, maybe the Sandbox could intrude a little into the second island to make it a bit larger?

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »

I am indifferent as to clear the island or not, but yeah change is welcome.
I would like to remake the classic scho-op if we are to do this.

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2008, 01:47:48 PM »
 :o

You people shock me - Faz in particular....

Never mind! I don't mind changing it, perhaps to a better layout? And I agree we need to get rid of certain things - ie the Theme Park.
-Mars

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2008, 01:59:35 PM »
Mars, the theme park debate has been going on for ages but nothing has ever been done about it. Unless we see some action, nothing will ever be done and we'll end up having no space to move let alone build

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »
:o

You people shock me - Faz in particular....

I thought that might shock you.
What I don't think you understood was that it wasn't about winning or ownership

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »
How dare you :P

I never thought it was about control or ownership - I've never seen it as that, only reason I get annoyed is because few of my designs were ever chosen - there was always a fault with them - although I'm sure someone will point out that constructive criticism is an opportunity to learn...
-Mars