Author Topic: Plans for design and management of Schome Park in Phase 3  (Read 24234 times)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Plans for design and management of Schome Park in Phase 3
« on: December 01, 2007, 10:23:32 AM »
Although I think we should be focussing on reflecting on Phase 2 at this stage I am posting this message now because Schome Park II (the extension to our existing island) is going to materialise any day now ...

In keeping with the overarching objectives of this project - to use Second Life to extend our thinking about schome - we want to experiment and try out new ideas as we move forward.

In Phase 1 the design and (to a lesser extent) management of Schome Park was staff led.
In Phase 2 the design and management of Schome Park was largely student led.
In Phase 3 we are planning to merge these two models - with students being given even greater control over Schome Park I (the current sim) and staff being given greater control over Schome Park II (the extension sim).

So in terms of thinking about the design of the physical spaces Schome Park I will be being redesigned by students and Schome Park II will be being designed by staff.

As you know I think we should be focussing on processes at the moment - a key one being the management of the redesign to ensure that all members of the community (including folk who will be joining the community at the start of Phase 3) have a say in the process/design. My perception is that at the moment a very small number of 'old hands' dominate the planning decision making - which wouldn't be a problem except that my perception is that this is to the almost total exclusion of everyone else. I think we need to resolve this and put in place a more egalitarian planning process before we get too far down the road of thinking about the actual physical design of Schome Park I.

Exciting times ...

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Plans for design and management of Schome Park in Phase 3
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 01:05:21 PM »
Can I ask for some nice water on SPII (new space) please peter ::)

Topper

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 01:20:52 PM »
Schome Park II (the extension to our existing island) is going to materialise any day now ...
It already has done, but you can't go onto the new bit of land

And the border between the two's pretty obvious, as this screenshot shows:

(the new sim is the higher ground)

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 01:31:15 PM »
 :o it overlaps the sandbox!!!!!!

Topper

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 03:21:49 PM »
Shame I wasn't there to witness it - did it just appear? As in one minute you were looking into the distance, and then BAM and the new one was there?
-Mars

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 03:35:31 PM »
Shame I wasn't there to witness it - did it just appear? As in one minute you were looking into the distance, and then BAM and the new one was there?
Nope; I just went towards that edge of the sim and there was the new bit.

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 03:38:30 PM »
What'd look really good is if the whole of it was left like that, but it was like an infinity pool, water running over the edge :P
-Mars

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 03:42:39 PM »
What'd look really good is if the whole of it was left like that, but it was like an infinity pool, water running over the edge :P
That'd be good, but difficult...

Offline Emodalek Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 08:10:19 PM »
one thing about teh new land, it would seem that we cant go in but our objects can.

why is this?

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 09:57:50 PM »
one thing about teh new land, it would seem that we cant go in but our objects can.

why is this?
I'd expect that you wouldn't be able to put objects where you can't go.

One thing we discovered was that only the area below about 100m is restricted (apparently to just Faji and Woop); you can fly above that, though (and, because you get thrown upwards if you fall onto the restricted area, some of us decided to use it as a giant trampoline :P)

Offline Jpskater777 Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 10:55:25 PM »
(and, because you get thrown upwards if you fall onto the restricted area, some of us decided to use it as a giant trampoline :P)

lol that was fun
and it shouldnt be able to because when we were bouncing i pulled out the old trusting popgun ( not like i was gonna shoot anyone like faz nooooo thats not it  >:D) and the bullets would not appear because it said like it cant because it was a restricted area
-Jpskater777

Offline Dudefish Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 11:05:13 AM »

why is this?

One thing we discovered was that only the area below about 100m is restricted (apparently to just Faji and Woop); you can fly above that, though (and, because you get thrown upwards if you fall onto the restricted area, some of us decided to use it as a giant trampoline :P)

Well I managed to ride my Motorpig into the barrier. The Motorpig is still there but I can't get in :(
I've posted a picture here on the wiki : http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/User:Dudefish_Schomer#The_Motorpig

Offline Dudefish Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 11:28:03 AM »

why is this?

Well I managed to ride my Motorpig into the barrier. The Motorpig is still there but I can't get in :(
I've posted a picture here on the wiki : http://schome.open.ac.uk/wikiworks/index.php/User:Dudefish_Schomer#The_Motorpig

It's quite fun actually so there are about 7 pigs there now

perhaps more by the time you read this...

pop in world and look at the valley of the pigs :D

Offline Dudefish Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 11:33:08 AM »

why is this?

ok I've driven a giant pig in to end my fun. I don't want to be accused of griefing...but it was all in the interest of testing ;)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 02:55:22 PM »

why is this?

ok I've driven a giant pig in to end my fun. I don't want to be accused of griefing...but it was all in the interest of testing ;)

LOL - maybe the pigs could be scripted to self-destruct after a set time - cos it does look like fun.  >:D