Author Topic: What have we done so far?  (Read 8250 times)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: What have we done so far?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 04:16:08 PM »
Well, personally I think Schome has stretched my knowledge far more than school as there are more people 'like me'. We are all interested in what we do, esp with the educational stuff and I think it has helped with my knowledge. School for me at the moment is focusing on my exams rather than learning so coming on Schome has helped with my learning rather than revising for my y11 exams. I think that if I hadn't joined in with wither SPi or SPii I would have really missed out on an amazing opportunity!  8)

It is great that you feel like this - I must admit I am tempted to ask for specifics - what exactly do you think you have learnt from being involved in this project that you would otherwise not have learnt?  ???

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 06:50:43 PM »
Well, the archaeology sessions I really learnt from, as this is a subject not taught (anymore!) in schools. I have always been interested in archaeology and going to sessions really stretched my knowlege, made me think and then do more research. I went to one Ethics session in SPi where it was just Hapno, Siobhan and I, this was really interesting, I didn't really know anything about this sort of thing before I went so it really made me think. There was also the bot session which I really enojoyed and made me think about the future of AI and how it is embedding itself into our society. These are the only specific things I can think about off the top of my head but also, just chatting with everybody on the island has helped as not only have we been talking about SL things, random things but also school things, general knowlege etc which has, since the beginning of the project, been making me think about all these different things which have all helped with my school work and also enhanced it dramatically. I tihnk it have given me a whole new side of education and that it doesn't just have to be stuck in a classroom, that we can all help each other, even without knowing it.
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Baso Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Desfrites
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 10:46:29 PM »
wel done vib  lol 8) lol
!!Baso!!

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 04:23:44 PM »
he he... thanks!  :D

Offline Elsa

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 10:01:25 PM »
There was also the bot session which I really enojoyed and made me think about the future of AI and how it is embedding itself into our society.

The bot session spawned all sort of fun, but technically it was spi rather than spii - do we need to be specific here Peter?

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 05:56:37 AM »
There was also the bot session which I really enojoyed and made me think about the future of AI and how it is embedding itself into our society.

The bot session spawned all sort of fun, but technically it was spi rather than spii - do we need to be specific here Peter?

Yes - need to keep the chronology correct. Thanks for pointing that out.

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 04:00:48 PM »
ifany of the origanal SNP members remember we have moved on from lots of disputes at the begining over to almost no disputs and falling outs now and have become a really strong community...

Topper

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 06:22:24 PM »
ifany of the origanal SNP members remember we have moved on from lots of disputes at the begining over to almost no disputs and falling outs now and have become a really strong community...

Topper

I'd disagree with that
1 aup breach in sp1
around 8 in sp2

My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 06:52:18 PM »
Hmmm... true, although I feel that we have some quite strng friendships going on in SPii...  :-\

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 06:59:12 PM »
I know I wasn't involved in the SNP and I have only been involved in SPii for a few months, but I have seen lots of friendships develop and I think teamwork is a big part in this. We have acted as a community, made group desicions. We have not all agreed on things, and as any other community would have to, we have made compromises.

I'm only using this as an example, because I think it was a strong point while I have been involved.

The Media Centre row between Mars and Faz went on for about 2 weeks, with both people wanting their designs to win the poll. Not only did other DOs calm down the situation, but both Mars and Faz came to a compromise. They decided to work on a joint design.

To me this shows how problems have been sorted out and that everyone can get together and have fun while learning.

KitKatKid.
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 07:59:24 PM »
here here to that kit. Although AUP breachs went up i seem to remember there was only one or 2 people for those AUP breaches.

Topper

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 08:18:37 PM »
True.... indeed

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 10:17:40 PM »
I think the key point is that whereas we didn't have many breaches in the first phase, it is the last phase in which we have had several breaches, and resolved them. Perhaps, the way in which we found a solution is more important than the problems themselves.
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 06:23:40 AM »
I think the key point is that whereas we didn't have many breaches in the first phase, it is the last phase in which we have had several breaches, and resolved them. Perhaps, the way in which we found a solution is more important than the problems themselves.

I would agree with you Explo - one of the most impressive things for me is the way that folk within the community work to resolve conflicts - some fantastic interventions by people to calm down arguments - some very mature responses by individuals to what one would have to call 'personal attacks' by another person (which in most communities would have led to serious flaming, but didn't) - great examples of folk taking responsibility for their actions, and learning from their mistakes - lots of evidence of everyone in the community taking responsibility for what you might call 'the health of the community'.

Disagreements are inevitable in any community that is experimenting and learning - the way in which we respond to that is the most critical thing - and though we have had more breaches of the AUP in Phase 2 of the project than we did in the Pilot (Phase 1) I think we have now developed pretty good mechanisms for dealing with them - though it is right that we continue to question and try to think of ways to improve them all the time ...

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 10:46:46 AM »
I know i often have major disputes in the forum with mars about arcitecture but i have worked with him at the same time on a progect in world. surly thats says somthing about the sofware and the community....

Topper