Author Topic: Teacher's TV filming in Schome Park on Monday 19th November at 7.30pm  (Read 25612 times)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Re: Teacher's TV filming in Schome Park on Monday 19th November at 7.30pm
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2007, 08:07:40 PM »
I'm feeling guilty now for going in when others are leaving to make room.  :-[

Don't be silly - staff out - students in - works for me !

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2007, 08:23:16 PM »
If you say "pull" to the parachute it should open.

If you say "close" it should fold away.

Don't forget to wear it first.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline kieron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2007, 08:25:35 PM »
some types may need a specific channel. Anyway, hope all going well in there!

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2007, 08:30:23 PM »
some types may need a specific channel. Anyway, hope all going well in there!

Ok now thanks

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2007, 09:44:40 PM »

I wasn't very happy with that. No offense but your interview skills aren't great..
I was also under the impression that we were going to get private interviews instead of a group of around 12 people and instant messages having a little 10 minute chat about the posibility of forum newsletters..

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2007, 09:57:06 PM »

I wasn't very happy with that. No offense but your interview skills aren't great..
I was also under the impression that we were going to get private interviews instead of a group of around 12 people and instant messages having a little 10 minute chat about the posibility of forum newsletters..

I'm learning Faz - sorry it didn't meet your expectations.

If you want to give me pointers for how to do it better next time I'm all ears (though of course I may not agree with you)  ;)

PeterT

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2007, 10:04:50 PM »
I found it quite hard to concentrate on the interviews because of the fact that so many people were there talking about things that were at times irrelevant - especially since Kali and I had already planned what to say and our answers got interspersed with conversation. However, I think that the discussion went well with a larger number of people because it gave us more ideas and viewpoints. I hope that it all went well (or as well as possible, with you crashing) at your end and the TV crew got some good footage.
On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2007, 10:25:06 PM »
Well I'm pretty sure nobody will be THAT concerned about how its not very easy to read everything in our forum, which seemed to be the main focus of the whole conversation. There were some interesting points by trix and kali but their rehearsed answers were getting drowned out by all the people who just turned up answering the questions themselves :(

Offline kjarrett

• View Profile
    • The Story of My Second Life
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2007, 10:29:57 PM »
If I may jump in...

First of all, hats off to Peter and everyone who made it in and contributed to the event. There's an expression that goes something like 50% of winning is just showing up. :) Without the crew of people who DID make it, there would not have been anything much to videotape. So I want to especially recognize those of my USA squad who were able to come.

That said, I too was under the impression that there would be individual interviews. I did my best (failing miserably) to arrange the USA kids in the sandbox; had we decided up front what areas we were to be working in, and communicated that in advance, it would have helped.

When Peter showed up and started asking questions in the sandbox, it was somewhat chaotic, to us, but I bet to the TV crew, it looked just fine. Also, as someone who has arranged meetings like this before, I can tell you that NOTHING ever goes as planned. Crashes, people not being where they are supposed to, people with questions, general confusion, it's all part of the experience! It's the nature of the beast.

When we joined everyone in the park, I had no idea it was a formal discussion; I just thought we were coming in for an chat. I think everyone from our side noticed the formality of the chat, and, accordingly, didn't say much - they honestly felt (the ones in the room with me) that they didn't want to interrupt. I personally don't mind diving in, and tried my best to contribute, and to draw out Darkwolf and others.

Some of our guys left to do other things, hope that was okay, again, I am happy they came at all!

I think they probably got PLENTY of GREAT footage and we are all generally obsessing about minutae that is nearly invisible to anyone but us!

Thank you Peter for arranging this and I can't wait for the segment! Thanks all for participating!

Yankee
Kevin Jarrett
K-4 Technology Facilitator & District Webmaster, Northfield Community School: http://www.ncs-nj.org
EdTech Blog: http://www.ncs-tech.org

Part-Time Faculty, Graduate School of Education, Walden University
Second Life Project Blog: http://www.storyofmysecondlife.com

Offline Yankee SParker

• SP core
    • View Profile
    • http://www.storyofmysecondlife.com
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2007, 10:48:59 PM »
Ooops sry about posting as my real person-ness...didn't realize this machine was logged in to my old account.

Some pics from tonight (bottom of the set):

http://flickr.com/photos/kjarrett/sets/72157602281338986/

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2007, 06:30:37 AM »
Well I'm pretty sure nobody will be THAT concerned about how its not very easy to read everything in our forum, which seemed to be the main focus of the whole conversation. There were some interesting points by trix and kali but their rehearsed answers were getting drowned out by all the people who just turned up answering the questions themselves :(

I know that things were not quite as planned - sorry about that.
Partly cos of my machine crashing and then not letting me back in I lost quite a lot of time - and I was keen to give more folk a chance to talk ... maybe not a great plan on my part - though actually I think the stuff about the forum was useful (not least cos it identified that the forum was used and was busy - but also cos I think that there are some real issues around how we manage the forum and how people cope with it ...)

Ho hum - the camera crew seemed to think they had lots of good material and were very happy.

They were particularly impressed by the discussion at the end about relationships between staff and students ... and I must say that is something I think we need to explore further ...  ???

Will let you know when I hear from them about when something might be being aired on TV - suspect that it could be a while - lots of editing to do!

Thank you to every for their input (including the staff who went out of world in order to reduce lag!)   :)

Must remember not to try a parachute jump with 20 people again - totally messed up my PC for about 15 minutes!  lol

Offline Amba SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2007, 06:46:49 AM »
Oh, I thought you meant to do that and was going to say congratulations Peter!

I decided not to be in-world (both the attendance and activity lists were looking pretty full), but I can see from the wiki page and forum posts that this must have been a wonderful evening! (system crashes etc aside!).

I was extremely impressed that you took the decision to welcome all and did not try to “stage manage” proceedings too closely. To me, this demonstrated true confidence and belief in what you are doing – creating a most fabulous, vibrant, welcoming and tolerant learning environment, as opposed to a “circus” in which the same predictable old avatars are called upon to say their set pieces.

It is my guess that a large chunk of the people who will see this broadcast will have already read about Schome in the press and are also very likely to have visited the website and possibly wiki and forum as well.

[Sometime in the late summer I met a local authority children’s services manager in SL who when asked whether she had heard of Schome said “Of course. [unprintable words], I can’t seem to open a [unprintable word] paper without seeing an article on Peter Twining and Schome”! I’m sure many people like her do not want to hear more of the same ]

It is great that you have moved forward in such a positive way since then, from celebrating the initial successes to now including the more uncertain elements of introducing newcomers successfully and considering scalability and extensibility of the system.

But was it all an accident? ???

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2007, 07:01:31 AM »

But was it all an accident? ???

No it wasn't an accident - I had originally intended to have more time talking with folk in the sandbox but this got curtailed cos of my machine crashing and then SL not letting me back  in - but as the schedule shows the intention was that lots of folk would join the discussions in the pagoda (though we ended up in the garden!).

I had intended to do some one on one interviews - but I was aware that (a) I wanted to include more folk - and particularly newer folk and (b) that discussion would be more interesting than one on one interviews. So I'd kind of hoped to start off with questions to Trix and Kali followed by wider discussion involving everyone ... which is kind of what happened.

I know Faz was upset that I interviewed him in an IM - this actually worked very well from the camera crew's point of view because it demonstrated how you could engage with several conversations at once (I was toggling back and forth between the main discussion and the IM with Faz).

For me last night did throw up lots of interesting (and one or two quite uncomfortable issues) - I was about to set up a discussion board in which we could reflect on SPii so far (cos I have to start writing the report for Becta in the next week or so) - so I think I will feed some of these issues into that discussion in order to provoke some discussion ...

PeterT

Offline KitKatKid Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • Call me Kit :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2007, 07:04:43 AM »
Unfortunately I didnt get interviewed :(

Maybe next time lol.
KitKatKid Schomer    My Twitter

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2007, 07:06:06 AM »
Unfortunately I didnt get interviewed :(

Maybe next time lol.

Sorry KitKatKid - I fear I missed out a couple of people who were on the schedule ...  :-[