Author Topic: Breach of AUP - Jokester  (Read 17751 times)

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
Breach of AUP - Jokester
« on: November 08, 2007, 07:33:09 AM »
I have suspended Jokester's access to Schome Park due to a serious breach of the AUP which was reported to me by Yankee SParker.

Apparently one or more of Jokester's friends used his avatar yesterday. This follows on from a recent incident when another student purportedly allowed someone else to use his avatar - which led Yankee to clearly spell out to Jokester (and the other students in his group) that this was a serious breach of the AUP which would lead to people being excluded from Schome Park.

This is a very serious issue - it is totally against Linden Lab's regulations to allow anyone else to use your avatar. We cannot allow this to happen because if we did Linden Lab might close down Schome Park.

I have therefore:
  • PMed Jokester to give him an opportunity to explain what happened
  • suspended Jokester's access to Schome Park

I await Jokester's account of this incident ...
I will keep you informed of developments - and may well come back to you for advice about how to proceed.

PeterT

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Breach of AUP - Jokester
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »
Can all americans please re read the AUP as some brechs have been made not major one worth reporting like a odd swear wrod which when pointed out they have appolagised and not heard it again but breches all the same

Just err on the side of cation :-\

Topper

[edit] Cooler???

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 11:11:08 AM »

[edit] Cooler???

For those who don't know - the Cooler is a small area on Schome Park that we can restrict people to while they cool down or we resolve issues.

It has been used in the past when we were concerned that someone was going to grief Schome Park cos they were very upset about something.

I didn't use it this time - totally banning Jokester from Schome Park for the time being instead - because of the very serious nature of the apparent breach of the AUP.

Once I've heard from Jokester - which I've been told may not be till tomorrow (which might mean early Saturday GMT) - I'll post an update in this topic.

PeterT
PS Great advice from Topper re erring on the side of caution.

Offline Jokester Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 12:42:57 AM »
[hello all of schome park i am totally responsible for my mistakes and i will take all of the blame for this error by my friend where i told him not to go on but he did it any way when i was in the bathroom i am truely sorry for my mistake. I will accept all punishments even bann or being kicked
I am very sorry to the schome  community  :(  If you dont decide to bann me i will really  appreciate it and it will never happen again

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 11:02:55 AM »
I personally feel that that a week i the cooler/total ban and fourm count set to pending for a week will suffice, if jokester is truly sorry.

Topper

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 01:03:07 PM »
considering many people have got less for much worse, a week would be quite harsh
(I'd say till monday)

Though it is peter's call
My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!

Offline Baso Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Desfrites
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 01:05:51 PM »
agreeing with achilles here
!!Baso!!

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 01:53:01 PM »
OK - my understanding of what has happened looks something like this:
  • There was an incident last week where someone apparently let someone else use their avatar on Schome Park
  • Following that I posted a message setting out why this was a serious problem
  • Yankee specifically talked with his students about this and explained how serious it was
  • Jokester’s avatar was subsequently used by someone else (without his permission)
  • Jokester acknowledged that he had made a mistake and is willing to take full responsibility for it

To be totally clear, we had said that anyone allowing someone else to use their avatar would be removed from the project permanently - because this is a serious breach of Linden Lab terms and conditions (as well as being in breach of the AUP).  So allowing someone else you use your avatar could lead to Linden Lab terminating the project if we didn't respond appropriately.

Having said that - it seems clear that Jokester didn’t allow someone else to use his avatar – in the sense of giving permission - though he did make it possible for them to do so and his avatar was used by someone else.

The question is what should we do now?

My view on sorting out problems is that the key thing is to ensure that we learn from our mistakes and that similar incidents do not happen in the future.  And of course, imposing sanctions is one way of showing that we are serious about the importance of the AUP.

I do think this is a very serious issues - and to be honest I don't agree with Achilles in thinking that this is less serious than previous behaviours - the previous incidents were not ones that were as likely to put the project in jeopardy with LL and we have to remember that we had already warned people very recently of the consequences of letting other people use your avatar.

So - I'd like to know what Jokester thinks a reasonable sanction would be - and then would like to hear more views from the rest of the community.

PeterT
PS I am impressed at the way in which Jokester has taken full responsibility for what has happened. The right thing to do - but takes maturity and courage given the potential seriousness of the consequences.

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 05:03:13 PM »
The question is what should we do now?
One thing I'd like to know is how you'd manage to stop someone taking over your avatar; the only way I can see of doing so would be to close SL, which would mean that it'd take a while to get back onto it, which we obviously don't want.
However, if there's some kind of 'lock' feature you can use...

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 05:22:16 PM »
would it be possable for some one to put a script in say the iHUD that when clicked would lock SL and set away until you put in the password/waited for 2 mins etc

Topper

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 06:43:35 PM »
can always lock the computer

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 06:57:39 PM »
but that is ahrd

Topper

Offline Achilles Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 07:13:26 PM »
crtl-alt delete then choose lock computer

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 07:15:58 PM by Achilles Schomer »

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 08:12:59 PM »
Yes.... but there are problems with that- I have had probs when i have left the pc with schome running for a bit when i have had to go downstairs to sort something out and the scrensaver has come on, then when i move the mouse SL isn't responding and I have to shut it down and start again! So that is a probem with locking the computer.
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Yankee SParker

• SP core
    • View Profile
    • http://www.storyofmysecondlife.com
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 08:19:23 PM »
If I may chime in here ... what concerns Dr. Ferguson and me the most is that we specifically had a meeting about the AUP last week, everyone re-read it, everyone personally re-signed it (I have the originals right here) and so everyone was aware of the importance of staying within the guidelines. Granted, Jokester might not have been able to forsee his friend doing such a thing, but the fact remains, it was his avatar, he's responsible. I am fine with whatever Peter and the community agrees should be done.

The only sure way to solve this problem is to simply log out when leaving the machine. Dealing with a delay upon restart is better than dealing with a ban because someone did something while you were logged in.

Yankee