Author Topic: Breach of AUP - Jokester  (Read 17944 times)

Offline Yankee SParker

• SP core
    • View Profile
    • http://www.storyofmysecondlife.com
Re: Breach of AUP - Jokester
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2007, 11:33:38 AM »
If I may chime in again...

First, as leaders of the NJ, USA group, we respect the community's wishes and want to uphold the processes that are in place for determining punishments.

Second, the special circumstances here are that this was an honest error by one of our best students, but it occurred AFTER we had just reviewed and re-signed the AUP. Jokester immediately took responsibility for the situation (he could have tried to deflect the blame). It was not a deliberate, malicious act, but rather an oversight (and a mistake to trust his "friend.")

Given all this, I'd recommend a ten day to two week ban (with recognition of time already served). If I am reading things correctly, that will be the longest ban in the history of Schome Park, which, for an act of this nature, sets a very hard line indeed.

Yankee

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 01:19:07 PM »
I agree to a extent

So what about 2 days with fourm accunt set to pending and out of SP and5 day full acess to fourm and in cooler then back to normal works out at a week and taking into accout time already serverd will be a hard line

Topper

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2007, 03:59:35 PM »
Ok - we seem to have agreement that we are looking at a temporary ban.
The suggestions for how long that should be and what it should include range from 3 days up to 3 weeks - and from being a ban from everything to a ban from Schome Park itself (or even being restricted to the Cooler).

We have recognition that letting folk use your avatar (or, as in this case, making it possible for folk to use your avatar even though you have told them they shouldn't) is a very serious matter cos it puts the whole Schome Park Project in jeopardy (cos it is a breach of the Linden Lab's terms and conditions).

My personal view is that we should ban Jokester from Schome Park until the 16th November (i.e. he would be allowed back into Schome Park on the 16th). This would represent a ban of just under 9 days (the incident happened on the 7th November and he was asked to leave Schome Park at that point, which he did).

I'm going to assume that this is agreeable to the community unless you respond to this message within the next 24 hours to explain why you think some other sanction would be more appropriate (it is only fair to Jokester to let him know our decision asap).

PeterT

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2007, 04:43:44 PM »
let him in the cooler on the 14th please

Topper

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »

Topper

Why?

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2007, 04:57:36 PM »
I see no problem with that date Peter.
I do see it as a shame though, we've got some really amazing new students that have brought some interesting things already - we don't want to be too harsh when it comes to punishments.

Just remember Hapno and Edi - how long did they get banned for, compared to how often they were banned,
 :-\
-Mars

Offline Marko Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2007, 05:08:11 PM »
I think a ban until the 16th will be fine. Jokester made it possible for his friend to go on his account after resigning the AUP, but this was by no means intentional, and he has been willing to own up, explain, and accept a punishment. Myself, I'd be inclined to a shorter time period, but because of LLs regulations, and the fact that Jokester himself recommended a ban until Friday, I'd go for that.

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2007, 05:25:50 PM »

Topper

Why?

As from there with camera controls and IM he can see the island and communicate s he can see whats going on so he isent isolated form the community too long

Topper

Offline Yankee SParker

• SP core
    • View Profile
    • http://www.storyofmysecondlife.com
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2007, 03:02:28 PM »
Ok - we seem to have agreement that we are looking at a temporary ban.
The suggestions for how long that should be and what it should include range from 3 days up to 3 weeks - and from being a ban from everything to a ban from Schome Park itself (or even being restricted to the Cooler).

We have recognition that letting folk use your avatar (or, as in this case, making it possible for folk to use your avatar even though you have told them they shouldn't) is a very serious matter cos it puts the whole Schome Park Project in jeopardy (cos it is a breach of the Linden Lab's terms and conditions).

My personal view is that we should ban Jokester from Schome Park until the 16th November (i.e. he would be allowed back into Schome Park on the 16th). This would represent a ban of just under 9 days (the incident happened on the 7th November and he was asked to leave Schome Park at that point, which he did).

I'm going to assume that this is agreeable to the community unless you respond to this message within the next 24 hours to explain why you think some other sanction would be more appropriate (it is only fair to Jokester to let him know our decision asap).

PeterT

Works for me. If he can be let in the cooler as Topper suggests, great. Otherwise, this should stand as written.

Thanks everyone, this has been quite a learning experience...

Yankee

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2007, 05:58:55 PM »

Works for me. If he can be let in the cooler as Topper suggests, great. Otherwise, this should stand as written.

Thanks everyone, this has been quite a learning experience...

Yankee

I have set Jokester up so that he can log into Schome Park but is restricted to the Cooler. I will let him out on Friday.
In the meantime Jokester still has access to the forum and wiki.

PeterT

Offline Jokester Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2007, 10:42:27 PM »
i cant get on and thank you everyone for not kicking me and thank you peter for letting me on today

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2007, 02:13:15 PM »
i cant get on and thank you everyone for not kicking me and thank you peter for letting me on today

Sorry Jokester - there was another setting I forgot to change. Try again now - it should work.

PeterT

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2007, 07:49:21 PM »
Where exactly is the cooler??
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2007, 07:50:29 PM »
Where exactly is the cooler??
Next to the volcano, in the direction of the beach.
If you right-click on the area around there, you should see a box outlined in yellow in the middle of the sea floor; inside that box is the Cooler.

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2007, 07:51:30 PM »
Ah right... thanks! Though hopefully I should never need to know where it is!  :D
We could be heroes just for one day.