The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
January 25, 2021, 02:49:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breach of AUP - Jokester  (Read 17610 times)
Miss. Vibia
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 08:26:55 PM »

I can understand why he may have left SL running- I mean I have friends over and had to leave the PC on with Schome still on but I trust them not to use it. I mean I ahve been showing them Schome to get some of them on (its worked with one- she sent her forms in 2 days ago (get off mars- she wan's me to be her buddy!  :P)) but you trust your friends not to do things like that. But I can understand that a certain level of responsibility is needed.

We could be heroes just for one day.
Marsbar9 Schomer
Coordinator

:-)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 08:34:28 PM »

lol

I am beginning to think there is a private board open to all but me, where you label me a buddy thief  :P

-Mars
Miss. Vibia
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 04:10:32 PM »

lol

I am beginning to think there is a private board open to all but me, where you label me a buddy thief  :P

Ooooh... well you may be right! :p

We could be heroes just for one day.
Baso Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 05:07:54 PM »

would it be possable for some one to put a script in say the iHUD that when clicked would lock SL and set away until you put in the password/waited for 2 mins etc

Topper
Impossible...sorry

i could incorporate a movelocking feature (stops you moving) but there is no way to lock sl as a whole

!!Baso!!
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 08:25:27 PM »

OK - my understanding of what has happened looks something like this:
  • There was an incident last week where someone apparently let someone else use their avatar on Schome Park
  • Following that I posted a message setting out why this was a serious problem
  • Yankee specifically talked with his students about this and explained how serious it was
  • Jokester’s avatar was subsequently used by someone else (without his permission)
  • Jokester acknowledged that he had made a mistake and is willing to take full responsibility for it

To be totally clear, we had said that anyone allowing someone else to use their avatar would be removed from the project permanently - because this is a serious breach of Linden Lab terms and conditions (as well as being in breach of the AUP).  So allowing someone else you use your avatar could lead to Linden Lab terminating the project if we didn't respond appropriately.

Having said that - it seems clear that Jokester didn’t allow someone else to use his avatar – in the sense of giving permission - though he did make it possible for them to do so and his avatar was used by someone else.

The question is what should we do now?

My view on sorting out problems is that the key thing is to ensure that we learn from our mistakes and that similar incidents do not happen in the future.  And of course, imposing sanctions is one way of showing that we are serious about the importance of the AUP.

I do think this is a very serious issues - and to be honest I don't agree with Achilles in thinking that this is less serious than previous behaviours - the previous incidents were not ones that were as likely to put the project in jeopardy with LL and we have to remember that we had already warned people very recently of the consequences of letting other people use your avatar.

So - I'd like to know what Jokester thinks a reasonable sanction would be - and then would like to hear more views from the rest of the community.

PeterT
PS I am impressed at the way in which Jokester has taken full responsibility for what has happened. The right thing to do - but takes maturity and courage given the potential seriousness of the consequences.

Just in case anyone has forgotten what this topic is about  ::)

Waiting for Jokester to let us know what he thinks a fair sanction would be ...
Jokester Schomer
SParkers

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 10:35:04 PM »

I think that i should be  banned and not kicked but it is up to you  i also think i sould be banned till at least friday but i promise that i will never do it again but it is up to peter
Sgt. Liony
The Hawaiian Shirts

Mnyearse?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 12:25:27 PM »

Personally, I don't think that Jokester should be, well, not exactly 'let off' but should not recieve a full punishment either, as he has made it clear that he did not give his friend permission to use SL at all. Also, I'd like to know what his friend did, if it was just talking then I understand that this goes against the LL contract and should be punished, but should not be punished as much as, say, if his friend had gone around shooting everyone with a dragonball, swearing, griefing etc. I think a 3-day ban should be enough, and also, Jokester, I think you should have serious words with your friend :P
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 06:18:02 PM »

Personally, I don't think that Jokester should be, well, not exactly 'let off' but should not recieve a full punishment either, as he has made it clear that he did not give his friend permission to use SL at all. Also, I'd like to know what his friend did, if it was just talking then I understand that this goes against the LL contract and should be punished, but should not be punished as much as, say, if his friend had gone around shooting everyone with a dragonball, swearing, griefing etc. I think a 3-day ban should be enough, and also, Jokester, I think you should have serious words with your friend :P

His friend pushed the emergency help button - which summoned Yankee - which is how we knew that his friend was using his avatar!

I agree that Jokester shouldn't be totally excluded from the project - but a ban should be imposed of some sort - really struggling with how long this should be: on the one hand Jokester had been clearly told that he shouldn't let anyone use his avatar under any circumstances - on the other he clearly didn't intend to let them do so (but did make it possible for them to) - and I suspect that he won't make the same mistake again.

We do need to send a clear message about how important it is to ensure that no one else can use your avatar though ...
So I don't think 3 day is long enough - a week would be my absolute minimum - and I'm not sure if that sends a strong enough message - what do you think?
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 06:39:28 PM »

if we set a hard line by banning him for 1 o 2 weeks possibly 3 as we do need a har line

Topper
Achilles Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 07:04:49 PM »

yes but theres a danger of setting too hard a line

My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 07:18:06 PM »

If a 3 week ban for 1 community member saves he project and years of work on peters part surly it is worth it

Topper
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »

If a 3 week ban for 1 community member saves he project and years of work on peters part surly it is worth it

Topper

It is getting a balance between sending a clear signal and recognising that this appears to have been a genuine mistake (which Jokester is likely to learn from).

Given that we don't think that it is appropriate to kick him off the project we need to be confident that whatever sanction we impose doesn't mean he gives up and leaves anyway - and given that his group are just getting going this is a pretty important time as they establish themselves and work out what projects they are going to work on.

I recon 3 weeks would be excessive personally ...
What do others recon would be appropriate?
Fox Phlox

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »

I think three weeks is a very long time in terms of the project. Things move very fast in Schome, and the island can change completely in three weeks. For me, it's important that Jokester has acknowledged that he makes a mistake and regrets it. This means we are thinking in terms of the ban being a deterrent for other people. I think a week-long ban sends a clear message that we are taking this seriously. For me a two- or three-week ban would send exactly the same message - so no one gains anything by us extending the ban.

Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 09:05:27 PM »

I rekon a week is a absotute minumum.

whatabout 3 days baned totally from the park and maybe 2/3 days in the cooler so he can veiw the [park etc

Topper
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 06:26:36 AM »

I rekon a week is a absotute minumum.

whatabout 3 days baned totally from the park and maybe 2/3 days in the cooler so he can veiw the [park etc

Topper

This does raise a good question about what a ban means - total ban from everything except this board; ban from Schome Park but not from the forum; restricted to the cooler; ...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: