The schome community Go to the Schome Wiki
January 25, 2021, 02:18:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To register for the wiki or forum email ONE sentence explaining why you want to join the Schommunity to Peter[dot]Twining[at]newcastle[dot]edu[dot]au
(Replace [dot] with . and [at] with @)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moderation guidelines  (Read 8049 times)
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:34:35 AM »

A few people have raised some questions about moderation - and I thought it would be useful to start developing some general guidelines to help keep things transparent.

My first suggestion is that we need to keep a record of any messages that get removed by a moderator - the staff already do this for any messages that we remove. So from now on, if a moderator decides that a message needs to be removed they should take a copy of that message before they remove it and should notify me by PM that they have removed the message. The PM should include the contents of the message that was removed and an explanation of why it was removed and which topic it was removed from.

Thoughts on other guidelines for moderators would be most welcome ...
Maybe we should start a wiki page on this ...
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 05:22:19 PM »

what about editing Peter as in the past I have done some minor mod editing on some posts and no told anyone although they have only been suppstituding letters to ****.

Topper
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 06:22:22 PM »

what about editing Peter as in the past I have done some minor mod editing on some posts and no told anyone although they have only been suppstituding letters to ****.

Topper

I think that we should try to be as clear as possible about any changes we make to other people's posts - not least cos if they complain that what we have done is unfair we need to be able to say exactly what we changed and why.

In some cases it is pretty obvious (like staring out some letters) - but my view is that if you are going to change a message you should keep a copy of the original somewhere 'as evidence'. So long as you are doing that I don't think I need to be told about minor edits - it's really just the big things (like removing a whole message) that I think you should keep me in the loop about.

Does that sound OK?

PeterT
PeterT
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 06:31:13 PM »

I believe that global mods can see the personal details in other people's profiles even when these have been disabled for 'public' viewing.

It is critical that moderators do not abuse this ability - even if you know someone's email address or real name (eg by looking at their profile) you should NEVER reveal that in any communication with anyone else or make use of it yourself. To be honest my advice would be to avoid looking cos what you don't know can't slip out by mistake.
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 07:58:25 PM »

In which case can you give them induvidual mod status o each bord as I am Very unhappy people being able to see my IP adress as i belive this can pinpoint you adress. My e-mail is somthing I am very catious about giving out as well. Souds stupid but however much I trust people on hre I feel very very uncomtoble having them looking at uch personal info.

Topper
Marsbar9 Schomer
Coordinator

:-)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 10:58:46 AM »

I actually looked into IPs, and only global mods can see that, but as the page says, IPs change regularly so it is unlikely people can trace you.

-Mars
An¡mus
SP Global Moderator

Original Schomer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »

The global mdoerators are well known people on the SP project. I doubt very much that the schome staff woud abuse this ability to sneak a look at your IP adress. I for one wouldn't have a clue what to do with your IP even if i wanted to look at your profile. I'm sure it's a very nice profile, I just don't look at peoples except my own.

Edit: Should this topic be moved to the private area do you think?
Marsbar9 Schomer
Coordinator

:-)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »

I on the other hand am very nosey and sneak a peak all the time, but heck that's fine cos I'm not a global mod! :D

-Mars
Kali Schomer
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 11:25:23 AM »

lol

I, like Faz, have no idea what to do with an IP. Computers and i don't get along very well, so i try not to do comlicated stuff.

I understand that you are concerned, which is a good thing as you are concerned with online safety. But like Faz said, the people with the information, or access to it, are people you trust. I'm sure no one will abuse their power.
Achilles Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 12:10:15 PM »

my view is that

1. if people have their names in their email adresses like many then their names are viewed
2. your ip's can be tracked down to you within 100m of your router

considering the AUP is about privacy protection ,it seems a bit hypocritical to allow then students to view other peoples details

is there any way to split the GM's so that student GM'S can have their usual powers but no looking at ip's or emails

My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!
Baso Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 12:13:55 PM »

very easy achilles, i have this forum working on my website, so ive have tinkered about, in the same way that you can make hawaiien shirt status, can you edit the funtions of a global moderator. :D

!!Baso!!
Trixxiee Schomer
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 01:14:44 PM »

Just to say that student GMs cannot see IP addresses or email addresses, so yeah, that's not so much of an issue.

But yes, groups of moderators can have their powers changed so they can only do certain things.

On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.
mgaved

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 02:03:10 PM »

Hi all

(still reading the posts even though not inworld these days!)

Achilles wrote:
- your ip's can be tracked down to you within 100m of your router

By the police maybe Achilles, but not anybody else on a global scale.

Simple version: Your IP address is allocated by your internet service provider (ISP) so only your ISP knows where you live. The police can indeed request details from your ISP in case of criminal investigation. Under the Data Protection Act the ISP would be breaking the law if they gave that information out to anybody else. For the rest of us, searching somebody's public facing IP address will only give the address of the allocating server run by your ISP. If I sent you an email from my personal (not work) address, at my home near Milton Keynes, you'd get my fixed IP that my service provider allocated to me. If you looked up that IP you'd not get my home address but rather you'd get the address of the server somewhere in west London.

A bit more complex version: If you're inside a network you're probably allocated an IP address by your router on a subset of addresses which are reserved for private network usage. These reserved addresses can be used by people everywhere as long as they are kept within a private network, in that way there won't be any clashes. This means I can set up my router to be 192.168.1.1 and you can set yours up to be 192.168.1.1 as well, and there will be no clash as the single public facing IP address will be a 'real' unique address, and through NAT (Network Address Translation) the public facing addresses of all the devices connected to my private network will appear to be the single public facing address. It's very likely that all these devices might be in a small area, but then again, I've helped set up private networks that stretch over several miles.

This is further complicated by the fact that many people on domestic internet connections don't have fixed IP addresses but have dynamically allocated ones - ISPs have a big bag of addresses and can change which one you have each time you connect to the internet. Given that most ISP's in the UK work nationally, this means the IP address one up from yours could be your next door neighbour or somebody on the far side of the country. And you could be given a new IP next time you sign on that was previously with somebody who lives 500 miles away.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 02:08:15 PM by mgaved » Logged

Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax
Achilles Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 02:10:49 PM »

point taken

though for complete security it's worth just changing the settings

My posts are like buses...you wait days for a reply then they all come at once!
Topper Schomer
The Hawaiian Shirts
SP Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 05:13:09 PM »

I once joined my friends (RL) fourm and got scared when he could see egactly where I was. I left strignt ater.

Topper

[edit] this is private to SP
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: