Author Topic: New E&P discussion session, Wed 24th Oct 7-8pm  (Read 12831 times)

Offline Kali Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New E&P discussion session, Wed 24th Oct 7-8pm
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 07:03:47 PM »
Sorry, i cant make it. Something important has come up.

:-\

Offline FI Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2007, 07:16:45 PM »
My not-very-broad band is taking ages to download something or other to get onto the island... It is only slightly faster than dial-up...

Be on as soon as possible...
 :'(

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Ah, sorry-we are kind of wrapping the session up.   :-[
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline Ronnie SParker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2007, 10:40:43 PM »
Thanks to everyone who came along and made this a really interesting session on Thursday. Was good to see so many people there.  :)
We covered a lot of ground, whilst staying within the central topic of the morality of war. The generally accepted view was that although war is terrible, it can be morally justified in extreme cases where it seems likely to be less terrible than the alternative. However a lot of people expressed a real concern at the treatment of individuals that the reality of war entails, and particularly at the issue of conscription - if soldiers have not chosen to fight, why is killing them any different to killing civilians?
If anyone is particularly interested in the moral issues surrounding war, there are loads of philosophical books that discuss this - two good ones that spring to mind (which also contain discussion of loads of other interesting issues) are Causing Death and Saving Lives by Jonathan Glover, and Mortal Questions by Thomas Nagel.

I hope to post another session soon, as ever if you have any topics you'd like to cover please post them here or send me a message.
Thanks

Ronnie   

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2007, 10:55:05 PM »
We covered a lot of ground, whilst staying within the central topic of the morality of war.
Sounds like it was good. Unfortunately, I didn't remember that it was on :(

The generally accepted view was that although war is terrible, it can be morally justified in extreme cases where it seems likely to be less terrible than the alternative.
That's what I'd say, too.
I'd also say that war shouldn't be necessary, but that doesn't mean that it isn't necessary sometimes...