Author Topic: Expermiment; prototype country...  (Read 8601 times)

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
Re: Expermiment; prototype country...
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 05:28:34 PM »
Ciggies result in death, yet, what happens? is there a ban on them?

Direct bans aren't always the way-although I would certainly support a ban stronger liberalisation does have merits. It seems strange that this opinion is in the same post as:

Why should the goverment control what is our choice?

The government is composed of the people, at least it should be, and the illegality of many drugs is because the majority of people want their lives to be free of them. Rather than giving a person the choice to harm themselves immediately, the government must protect people until they can look at the evidence and decide for themselves. Given that the rational choice most certainly points towards not taking drugs, it is a matter of trying to get rid of the peer pressure and the addiction to drugs that often override a person's better instincts before allowing a person to make the decision.

Why do all the anti-drugs campagin signs say 'Dont do drugs'

I must correct you on this. Not one of the campaigns I have seen has said "don't do drugs". Instead, many of them specifically emphasise that they are there to give information, not to order you either way. This is the key point-information must be given and the information clearly shows that drugs are extremely harmful.

I say a person should be allowed to take drugs, providing they are aware of the risks....

The problem is that it is very hard to tell when someone is aware of the risks. Even ignoring this, someone might, and many do, 'just try it out' and then become addicted. Many people want to stop taking drugs and yet find themselves unable to and only by both drilling the dangers of drug abuse and making it impossible for drugs to reach those who are at risk can we ensure that people can make an informed decision.
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline mgaved

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 05:35:31 PM »
Sorry Hapno, could you clarify this point?

from what i've seen, the diffrence current diffrence between the third world and the industrialized world is accsess to a computer
Teen Second Life: Mark Sparker / Second Life: Redmark Hax

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 06:19:45 PM »
People, it seems, are classifiying countries based on how well connected they are; people learn and expand with knowledge. and mroe and more people are referring to countries without such devices as 'third world' regardless of water, food and healthcare.
-Doctor Schomer

Acedemician of Cognitex Labs.

Offline RoughBounds

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 08:45:25 AM »
The term third world has generally been replaced with the term developing world in most media. However, the many researchers not refer to countries that do not have advanced capitalist economies as the majority world. What this term reminds us is that most of the worlds population live in countries that some still call the third world. As to the geography of the digital divide, I think its a little hazier than it first appears.  Even within a UK context connectivity has a gender, social class, and spatial elements.

Offline FI Schomer

• SParkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 03:21:35 PM »
As was said, to devide the world in terms of acess to a PC is difficult, as a country's goverment can decide how to spend the wealth- They could spend it on 'internet acess for the general population', or the same amount of money on better schools, or a healthcare system, or cheaper food, or better ammenities, or benifits for the poor, ect ect... Just because it doesn't spend the money on giving the general public internet acess, and instead giving them a healthcare system, or schools, or anything else, doesn't mean it is less developed that another country that chose to spend the money on internet acess. You must consider many things before deviding the world into richer and poorer countries, or MEDC and LEDC countries, not just internec/computer acess...