Author Topic: Expermiment; prototype country...  (Read 8602 times)

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
Expermiment; prototype country...
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:09:22 PM »
Heres an idea i've been cooking up for some time, please feel free to give feedback, and add to it.

This is my experimental country, this thought experiment is desighned to test a system that keeps everyone happy....

First off, BitTorrents; BitTorrents allow anyone to download films, music, etc, without paying for it, thus breaking laws of IP, I would circumvent this problem by having all movies, games, etc. on a database that can be downloaded for a price (which would be more resource-friendly then putting then putting the selected item in a case and thus wasting resoures) the ideal time-frame would be 3 months, the avarage time it takes for a film to go from cinema to DVD.

Drugs; legalisztion of drugs is another thing, i'd like to make it clear that I am not for or agaisnt drugs.
The drug would be sold by the goverment (thus making sure it is safe) given out in safe doseages (so you dont die from overdose) whilst also lowering taxes (due to the increased revenue) and crime (no more stealing, killing over drugs)

Medical systems; I would impliment an Expert System for hospitals and clinics, so to reduce strain on doctors and nurses whilst dealing with patiants.

Buisnessess; I would be rid of all the rather large and annoying work places, thus meaning people work at home, better way of working due the the more comftable surroundings (in most cases) as well as being able to get more work done. Though this wouldmt make much diffrence in a factory that required human work.

-Doctor Schomer

Acedemician of Cognitex Labs.

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
Re: Expermiment; prototype country...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:15:41 PM »
First off, BitTorrents; BitTorrents allow anyone to download films, music, etc, without paying for it, thus breaking laws of IP
BitTorrent isn't specifically for not having to pay for it - it was merely set up to reduce load on servers for popular downloads.
Also, 'IP' is a very general term - really, you need to focus on them separately; copying something illegally, for example, is breaking copyright, rather than all of what 'IP' means (and patent laws are similar to thought police - you can't sell something using an idea which someone else patented, even if you never knew that said patent existed (and if you thought it up completely separately))

Drugs; legalisztion of drugs is another thing, i'd like to make it clear that I am not for or agaisnt drugs.
I'd say that you should have a system like the one I was told happens in Australia (I think it was there, anyway :P) where you're allowed to grow plants which you could potentially use as drugs (like a marijuana (sp?) bush), but you're not allowed to sell it or smoke it or anything.
What happens then is that the drug dealers get no money because anyone who wants drugs can get some from their own garden...

Medical systems; I would impliment an Expert System for hospitals and clinics, so to reduce strain on doctors and nurses whilst dealing with patiants.
That'd be useful; the main problem would be in programming in the copious amounts of known diseases, related symptoms, possible causes, things which can make you more or less likely to get them, ways to reduce their effects, etc. etc. etc.

Though this wouldmt make much diffrence in a factory that required human work.
That it wouldn't. However, a lot of work that people would need to do, assuming that people have already worked out how to do it, can be automated with greater precision and lower error rates than there would be if it was done by people. (of course, in some cases you may need people's greater flexibility, plus you'd have to have people to program the things)

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 02:54:39 PM »
during the A.I. boom of the 1980's (interesting side-note: because of some many companies failing to deleiver on thier promises, A.I. is not called A.I., its called something silly, like Machine Learning)
Expert systems were put in use for engineers at water treatment plants and other faciltits, the company took its most senior engineers and put thier knowledge into the program.

Medical expert systems already exist, and you can find quite a few dotted about China, New Zealand, and the USA; the only problem with these systems that if the patiant has got no ID (in the case they cant give out thier ID if they're unconcious) then the system may not be able to factor in alaergies, though it retains sevreal redunedacy 'knowledge trees' in case of such a situation.

But, I stick to my guns on buisnessess....who needs to be in a stiff suit, sitting in an office block that cost the company dearly, requireing food, eleltricity, when most of the work could of been done at home? for little or no cost to the company? Surely the only need for companies is to have a place to show off thier products and for storage?

same with supermarkets, why bother having all that space (thus meaning more resources for flooring, cable laying, etc) when the 'supermarket' could be purely online, and the food picked out of a warehouse before plundged into the back of a truck?

WHat if, due to the extra revenue, the goverment PAID people so they can afford to eat? (at least, the basic requirements?)

-Doctor Schomer

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 03:09:41 PM »
Expert systems were put in use for engineers at water treatment plants and other faciltits, the company took its most senior engineers and put thier knowledge into the program.
The main thing being getting all that knowledge into it (though the fact that some already exist helps a lot) - it may take a while :P

But, I stick to my guns on buisnessess....who needs to be in a stiff suit, sitting in an office block that cost the company dearly, requireing food, eleltricity, when most of the work could of been done at home? for little or no cost to the company? Surely the only need for companies is to have a place to show off thier products and for storage?
Very true. But some people obviously don't think like that :P (besides, having people together can speed up communication; also, having someone knocking on your door makes it much more obvious that you're needed than some program telling you (in some noticeable but non-invasive way) that someone wants you :P

same with supermarkets, why bother having all that space (thus meaning more resources for flooring, cable laying, etc) when the 'supermarket' could be purely online, and the food picked out of a warehouse before plundged into the back of a truck?
That's very true. But they probably have some reason or other for it :P (like, for example, 'impulsive buying' - where you go past something on your way to what you want and decide to buy it :P)

WHat if, due to the extra revenue, the goverment PAID people so they can afford to eat? (at least, the basic requirements?)
Or they could pay people to go around, distributing what they needed (by 'needed', I don't mean a specific thing - for example, you need food but usually not a specific type of food) :P

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 03:12:41 PM »
But, I stick to my guns on buisnessess....who needs to be in a stiff suit, sitting in an office block that cost the company dearly, requireing food, eleltricity, when most of the work could of been done at home?
But work isn't just about sitting in a 'stiff suit' in an office block; part of it is about meeting people and making new friends and colleagues, and to share ideas and work as a team, which would be much harder to do if you worked at home full time. It's kind of like school; one of the concerns my parents had when considering home schooling my sister was that she would find it much harder to meet people her age and make friends, and though the age isn't an issue when considering work, I still believe that going out to work is important, because it is one way that you are going to meet people with similar interests/career prospects. Some of my parents' closest friends were met at work, and these are people that they wouldn't know if they worked at home. Yes, I can see the benefits, but I also think there is a lot to be said for having a change of scene and the social interaction - including bouncing ideas and face-to-face meetings - that occur if you are working somewhere (not necessarily an office) other than your home.
On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 03:15:40 PM »
work isn't just about sitting in a 'stiff suit' in an office block; part of it is about meeting people and making new friends and colleagues, and to share ideas and work as a team, which would be much harder to do if you worked at home full time.
That's very true. And what you want is a good balance of the two. Unfortunately, such things can be difficult to find :P

bouncing ideas
can be done over an internet connection (IRC, for example)

and face-to-face meetings
They may be substitutable, but still...

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 03:19:42 PM »
And many, many people would find it impossible to work at home because their home is too small, or overcrowded, or they are in a hostel or in B&B acommodation, or there are three small children being cared for at home, or their home is incredibly noisy, or work is their only escape from an abusive family life, or they can't afford to pay for the lighting and heating for an extra eight hours a day...
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline Decimus Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 03:22:36 PM »
And many, many people would find it impossible to work at home because their home is too small, or overcrowded, or they are in a hostel or in B&B acommodation, or there are three small children being cared for at home, or their home is incredibly noisy, or work is their only escape from an abusive family life, or they can't afford to pay for the lighting and heating for an extra eight hours a day...
Very true. Which, I suppose, is one reason for having such things. But hopefully, if the company paid them a bit more (which they would be able to do, but may not do (though I suppose it'd be in their interests to do so)) they'd be able to deal with the latter problem and maybe the first (which may also be helped if average house size grew)
The other problems, I suppose, are a lot more difficult to deal with.

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 03:24:55 PM »
I find it would be helpful if instead of being on all night at work on a computer, you could do it at home....

you cant deny that working at home has benefits...
-Doctor Schomer

Offline Trixxiee Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 03:28:43 PM »
you cant deny that working at home has benefits...
If you have a home in the first place, or at least one that's got the right conditions for working in.
On hiatus until further notice. Will be checking in occasionally.

Offline Fox Phlox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 03:36:59 PM »
Yup, working at home has benefits and so does working in the office. They both have disbenefits as well. Of course, huge amounts of jobs can't be done at home.
Only the stoutest arm, the bravest heart, with a magic charm and a good head start can ever outfox the Fox

Offline RoughBounds

• SP team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 04:11:22 PM »
I work from home in that I am self employed and I have an office in the house. I am in the process of building an office outside the house, so I can get away - my kids like having me at home but my wife wants me to clear out from under her feet. Things I find annoying is when you need to print huge amounts on your dodgy old printer, photocopying, and not having a really expensive computer table chair - back pain.

Workplaces are important, I often get left out of the loop (decisions made over coffee), and even emails because I am home based. Sometimes when somethings annoying you its good to unload on someone, and I think thats part of the office attraction. Its good to work with people and I have a part time job with the fire brigade that gets me out of the house and running about. A mix is good.

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 04:28:58 PM »
I dont think that such enviroments are totally useless, I just think that having a large boardroom with mahogany panelling is more then just wasting resources :/
-Doctor Schomer

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »
The drug would be sold by the goverment (thus making sure it is safe)

I'm very undecided on drug legislation as there are many drugs that are extremely damaging socially, mentally and physically, even if properly controlled. Although formalising the trade would remove many of the most harmful substances often added to decrease the amount of pure drug necessary, which would make a large difference, there are certain effects that are unavoidable. May people use John Mill's 'Harm Principle'-that people can choose if they wish to harm themselves, but I think there must be more protection than that. Society includes many vulnerable people and if they resort to drugs it is not only their lives that are potentially ruined but also the lives of their families. On the other hand, drugs can be a vital escape for some, when life seems terrible, and a blanket ban can thus damage the welfare of society, especially considering that anesthetics can easily be counted among the opiates. Working on these, I would say that the legalisation of drugs would have to be limited in strictly regulated areas and quantities to those already addicted and for purely medicinal use, in order to gradually wean drugs away from popular use. This would, of course, have to be accompanied with a massive public information scheme started at an early age-the lure of taking drugs still often overrides the enforced messages against doing so-and the experiences of former addicts are very good counter messages. Hopefully, social pressures can carry us a long way, but as I have said before, legislation is needed in some form.

Incidentally, this is just part of a wider debate that also includes what should be classed as a drug. Here I'm using the term drugs in describing those addictive chemicals that seriously alter body function with long term damaging effects-tobacco, for instance, is included in this.

I would circumvent this problem by having all movies, games, etc. on a database that can be downloaded for a price

Going to the left on this, I would say that in the ideal world the only price required would be the price required to offset and pay for the resources used (which would be incredibly low in most cases), though such an initiative would, of course, have to be moved towards extremely gradually. This does, however, come back to the problems that other people have mentioned: what about those people without a computer etc?
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline Doctor Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 04:58:35 PM »
from what i've seen, the diffrence current diffrence between the third world and the industrialized world is accsess to a computer.

Ciggies result in death, yet, what happens? is there a ban on them? god no, walk into a the duty-free zone of any airport and you'll find you can get a set  of 40 of packets of 20 ciggies for the price of three packets of normal ciggies.

Why should the goverment control what is our choice? Why do all the anti-drugs campagin signs say 'Dont do drugs' yet dont say how to identify, or the correct dosage of drugs? because people will still do it, taboo's are a magnet....

the very point of saying 'dont do drugs' was a major incentive for my peers to take them, they wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I say a person should be allowed to take drugs, providing they are aware of the risks....
-Doctor Schomer