Author Topic: How is the buddy system going?  (Read 15656 times)

Offline Topper Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
  • SP Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How is the buddy system going?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 08:07:27 PM »
the buddy Idea is a godd one bu is struggaling in practisce I think..

Some people keep losing there buddys as they have lost intrest or dont have enough time/go on holiday (last reason go be etheir way)

Also people arent getting in at the same time as there buddy so it is hard to buddy due to timing.

The final reson is finding a buddy can be hard for th newbie as a lot of active HS's already have a buddy or are away on holiday so hat wy we may even lose new flolks

just some musings

Topper

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 06:21:02 AM »
the buddy Idea is a godd one bu is struggaling in practisce I think..

Some people keep losing there buddys as they have lost intrest or dont have enough time/go on holiday (last reason go be etheir way)

Also people arent getting in at the same time as there buddy so it is hard to buddy due to timing.

The final reson is finding a buddy can be hard for th newbie as a lot of active HS's already have a buddy or are away on holiday so hat wy we may even lose new flolks

just some musings

Topper
I was feeling that the buddy system wasn't working well before I went on hols ... Topper's comments set out some of the issues ...

We are about to have another push on recruitment - and I suspect that unless we find another approach to inducting new folk we will run into greater problems.

I was wondering about whether we could set up a support rota or something of the sort - so that there were times (which would be displayed on the Schome Park events page perhaps) when named Hawaiian Shirts would be available in-world to meet newbies and answer any questions they might have.

What do you recon - and/or can you think of better ways of handling induction?

Offline Edi Schomer

• SParkers
  • Edi Schomer | www.Evil-Games.co.uk | xXedixXx
    • View Profile
    • Evil-Games
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 06:25:57 AM »
Yes I agree Peter, if there are arranged times in which the Hawiian Shirts are online then it could be alot easier for the new people to get help.

Offline Miss. Vibia

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
    • Schome user page
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 07:55:01 PM »
I think the time slots are a good idea, then we can halp out the new people and answer questions etc
We could be heroes just for one day.

Offline Emodalek Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 06:29:44 AM »
**Hides in corner**

But he seems to have been taken by aliens - no contact n almost a month :P

I believe that he is away on holiday ... (or that could be cover for alien abduction ...)

i have only 3 things in second life and i did not know about the way the sandbox works.
i have cleared most of the prims leaving one base that i created, a bed within that and one bee that that is about 44-45 schome metres above the sandbox as somebody built a hut over where it was originally.

the forums are difficult to follow for newcomers because of the number of posts and it is hard to get from page to page. if newcomers can not put prims on and there is limited convosations, so what else is there to do and how will they learn to build if the more experieced players do not let them and how will new buildings come about when they are gone? what can newer players contribute?

i did have have a clear up prior my absence from schome but have not been on for a while because i am not sure what i can do.

i hope that i hope that i can contribute to perminant buildings in the near future.

sincerely
Emodalek

Offline PeterT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PeterT's homepage in WikiWorks
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 06:58:33 AM »
**Hides in corner**

But he seems to have been taken by aliens - no contact n almost a month :P

I believe that he is away on holiday ... (or that could be cover for alien abduction ...)

i have only 3 things in second life and i did not know about the way the sandbox works.
i have cleared most of the prims leaving one base that i created, a bed within that and one bee that that is about 44-45 schome metres above the sandbox as somebody built a hut over where it was originally.

the forums are difficult to follow for newcomers because of the number of posts and it is hard to get from page to page. if newcomers can not put prims on and there is limited convosations, so what else is there to do and how will they learn to build if the more experieced players do not let them and how will new buildings come about when they are gone? what can newer players contribute?

i did have have a clear up prior my absence from schome but have not been on for a while because i am not sure what i can do.

i hope that i hope that i can contribute to perminant buildings in the near future.

sincerely
Emodalek

Emodalek - thanks for telling us about the difficulties you have had in getting to grips with the forum and understanding what you can do in Schome Park. I think it is easy for those of us who have been using Schome Park for a while to forget what it was like for us when we first came in - and it has become more difficult because of the increasing number of messages now in the forum and the planning permission rules that have been set up.

We clearly need to thing more about how best to support newcomers to the project - the fact that some people pop in but don't reappear is evidence that something is going wrong - as are your comments about your experiences so far.

Do you think that having scheduled sessions for 'new' folk would help?
Do you know about the  Schome Park Events page in the wiki where you can find out what things are planned in Schome Park? (And did you know that you can join in with any of the planned events?).

It would help to have more feedback from 'new' members of the community about how we can help you get involved - so tell us about your experiences - what was offputting, what would help, etc ...

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
  • :-)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 05:38:13 PM »
We're not stopping anyone from building, we're merely prim conscious.
-Mars

Offline Marko Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 05:57:27 PM »
the forums are difficult to follow for newcomers because of the number of posts and it is hard to get from page to page.

What do you find is the problem with navigation? Personally, when I've come back to Schome after a break I've usually marked most unread posts as read, and then started reading post from then. Would that fix the problem with too many posts, or would you say posting behaviour or how the forum works is the problem?

if newcomers can not put prims on and there is limited convosations, so what else is there to do and how will they learn to build if the more experieced players do not let them and how will new buildings come about when they are gone? what can newer players contribute?

You can build as much as you like, as long as anything outside the sandbox which takes up a bit of space or quite a few prims gets taken back into inventory at the end of the session. Not only does it mean that the number of prims and the amount of space used is lower, it means that you can restart work on the project at any time and in any place. As for contributions, there are lots of things which you can do which don't require you getting planning permission. You can try learning to script, or look into the ethics and philosophy discussions, or join in the machinima project (extras are, as far as I know, still required). If you want to build, there are lots of collaborative projects which you don't need advanced skills for (creating a rock face for the media centre, for instance- the more people do it the better the overall result will be)

It is sometimes a pain that you can't build as much as you like, but unfortunately we do have a limited number of prims and a limited amount of space. We just need to learn to cope with it, and see if we can make the most of it to use more efficient building methods.

Offline An¡mus

• SP Global Moderator
  • Original Schomer
    • View Profile
    • Faz's Wiki user page
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 06:16:57 PM »

I think the buddy system is going really well. It gives each newbie a chance to get to see what schome park and what *we* are like.
I would like to think that i have taught Edi some things about schome and building.  ;)

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 07:07:47 PM »
We're not stopping anyone from building, we're merely prim conscious.

To be honest the B+PP department is certainly standing in the way of builds. The question is whether this is justified as I believe it is.

i did not know about the way the sandbox works.

This is clearly something we need to work on, as the regulations do indeed seem to be rather out of reach for many people. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of how we can remedy this as it seems that everyone has a different interpretation of the rules and they are constantly changing.  :-\

how will they learn to build if the more experieced players do not let them and how will new buildings come about when they are gone?

This is a good point-I think most of all it is a matter of permanence. In order to gain experience I do feel that we ought not to focus on permanent builds as the ultimate aim-I for one find messing about in the sandbox to be extremely enjoyable-probably more so than when I have a specific project to fulfill. However, a permanent project does give a sense of direction that is easily lacking and having the final result open to display is a large incentive.

This is where, I believe, the museum/exhibition hall can play a larger part, with it giving the option of showing off some of our achievements in many fields, whether building, scripting, or demonstration. Unfortunately, there is at present only one exhibit, which is especially strange considering that the build has two floors. Perhaps a reason for this is that large builds are seen as more long lasting but I must say that, in my opinion at least, small is beautiful. Just scaling a large build down for display could provide an exhibit as good as something designed to be small. Another possibility is that there is no real movement at the moment. The proviso that you must contact Mars to put something in the museum seems to me something of a barrier so, unless he objects, I would say that we should just put the objects we feel proud of straight in there-we can always make the process more official if it runs out of room (which I doubt).

Hopefully, this can give a purpose to coming into SL and encourage people to play around and become better builders, scripters etc. Once people have these skills it is a lot easier to become involved in the community, a problem that Emodalek highlights. Anyway, dass das ist.  :)
'I am the gadfly'-or at least, I'd like to be

Question everything, including this.

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 03:19:37 PM »
Feel free to put things in there - I've never said you have to ask me before hand...
-Mars

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 03:21:28 PM »
I'm sure I saw a little sign in world, but never mind. I think people tend to take formality for granted so we need to actively say "please show off your objects here" or suchlike.

Offline Marsbar9 Schomer

• Coordinator
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 03:34:05 PM »
ok
-Mars

Offline Emodalek Schomer

• The Hawaiian Shirts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »

You can build as much as you like, as long as anything outside the sandbox which takes up a bit of space or quite a few prims gets taken back into inventory at the end of the session. Not only does it mean that the number of prims and the amount of space used is lower, it means that you can restart work on the project at any time and in any place. As for contributions, there are lots of things which you can do which don't require you getting planning permission.

When members look at the sandbox, and at the items that have been built without the need for planning permission they are merely one of the crowd and do not stand out. I strongly feel that if planning permission was not neseccary, then more great items like the ones in the sandbox could appear all around the island rather than the possibility of one large object taking up the whole sandbox.

If there is not enough space then we should build into the sky and there are not enough prims for the number of people using the island, then we need a new island for newbies.

please send your veiws,
Emodalek.

Offline Explo Schomer

• SP Global Moderator
  • Nice, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007, 05:24:44 PM »
they are merely one of the crowd and do not stand out

That is a good point, and this is why I think places such as the museum are very important. We need to show off some of our creations.

more great items like the ones in the sandbox could appear all around the island

Unfortunately, there is also a bad side in that this would use up prims, add to lag, etc. Another problem is that what one person thinks is great might not be liked by everybody, and we do not want such builds appearing all around the island-especially if they look out of place, as ground level builds easily can.

there are not enough prims for the number of people using the island, then we need a new island for newbies.

Islands don't come very easily and it is far, far preferable that we keep the number of prims down, not only to save money and time in getting a new island, but also to reduce the lag.